GDT: #1 Devils vs Islanders: First of the Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Zajac gets the first. In fact I can see this game being reminiscent of the first game in 10/11. Zajac, and Kovy's line scoring 2 goals early, and then losing 3 or 4 to 2.

Just as long as the rest of the season isn't also like that one.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Needs more cat in the window gif. So much more. Just win, I drank the Lou-Aid, I have faith in this team and in Lou getting extra parts to get us going.

First goal Kovy.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
i think Parise scored our first goal of the season either 3 or 4 times of the 7 since the last lockout which is when he started his career. He scored our first last year against the Canes.

Feb 2, 2009
Manalapan, NJ
The Devils are back. My body is ready.
not-the-father-gif-not-the-father.gif

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I was actually feeling really good about this game going our way until Butler was waived. Pete must have really saw something he didn't like, or something he really liked in Tedenby. Tedenby was in Pete's doghouse for a while. Everytime he did something stupid which was quite often, the camera would to a Pete Deboer with a WTF? look on his face.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
In light of the season starting tomorrow... what is with all this pessimism floating around?
Game 1 is almost here, and despite what I felt over the course of the lockout, I'm frigging excited to see the Devils suit up and play again.
Granted there were a lot of ups and downs up to this point and granted it sucks to come off a Final appearance with a roster full of question marks.
But, it's time to shake it all off and start fresh.

Our veterans, who have aged like fine wine, are still putting up some of their best games. They're rested and they're ready to get back where this team belongs.

The young guys and the role players... they're still hungry as ever from what they accomplished last season.

There's not a lot of pure skill on the roster, but there's a lot more to this team than star power. And the finishing touches haven't even been put on this team.

Believe it or not, we actually have a lot more scoring up and down the lineup than we did at the beginning of last season. But, of course, there's still work to be done.

Thankfully we have a fantastic coach to take on the task ahead of us. He's created a game plan that speaks to the Devils strengths (strong defensive play) while opening up scoring opportunities in a way that has never been easy for the Devils. He brought out the best in a lot of his players last season, and he now he has their complete trust in his philosophy.

This team 100% has the ability to get better as the season goes on. And it will.
Because in addition to all that, we have one of the best GMs to ever take the reins of a professional sports team. Has he made his mistakes? Sure. But for 25 years he has done everything possible to ice a winning roster. I think he's proved to be right more often than not.
If this team starts to falter, you know he is going to pull every string possible to stop the bleeding. We can find our points to harp on him... but every move he made, he made to win. That determination will still be the driving force of this team this season.

On paper, this team might look like nothing special. But the Devils team philosophy has always been to play greater than the sum of its parts.

TL;DR?

If it's about 24 hours away from puck drop and you're already cliff diving?

Take one of these:
TEDDY%20BEAR-GALLERY.jpg

And one of these:
hotchocolate-3-with-marshmallows_s600x600.jpg

Then relax, chill the eff out and get ready to cheer on some Devils hockey :handclap:.

Even in the Devil's darkest, worst season in decades... they still found ways to make us proud and give us hockey that we could cheer for every night.
But for now... let's just go set out to find that other half of the Cup we've been waiting for ;)

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Kovy is hungry to win. He will put this team on his back. Im ready to see beastmode Kovy like we have never seen before in a NJ Sweater

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
In light of the season starting tomorrow... what is with all this pessimism floating around?
Game 1 is almost here, and despite what I felt over the course of the lockout, I'm frigging excited to see the Devils suit up and play again.
Granted there were a lot of ups and downs up to this point and granted it sucks to come off a Final appearance with a roster full of question marks.
But, it's time to shake it all off and start fresh.

Our veterans, who have aged like fine wine, are still putting up some of their best games. They're rested and they're ready to get back where this team belongs.

The young guys and the role players... they're still hungry as ever from what they accomplished last season.

There's not a lot of pure skill on the roster, but there's a lot more to this team than star power. And the finishing touches haven't even been put on this team.

Believe it or not, we actually have a lot more scoring up and down the lineup than we did at the beginning of last season. But, of course, there's still work to be done.

Thankfully we have a fantastic coach to take on the task ahead of us. He's created a game plan that speaks to the Devils strengths (strong defensive play) while opening up scoring opportunities in a way that has never been easy for the Devils. He brought out the best in a lot of his players last season, and he now he has their complete trust in his philosophy.

This team 100% has the ability to get better as the season goes on. And it will.
Because in addition to all that, we have one of the best GMs to ever take the reins of a professional sports team. Has he made his mistakes? Sure. But for 25 years he has done everything possible to ice a winning roster. I think he's proved to be right more often than not.
If this team starts to falter, you know he is going to pull every string possible to stop the bleeding. We can find our points to harp on him... but every move he made, he made to win. That determination will still be the driving force of this team this season.

On paper, this team might look like nothing special. But the Devils team philosophy has always been to play greater than the sum of its parts.

TL;DR?

Parise left, Lou is old, Marty is fat, the trap, Kovy is soft and greedy, we're broke, etc

NJDFan4Life

Jun 25, 2009
Canada
Got my 1991 vintage Scott Stevens jersey ready to go. Im so pumped Devils hockey is finally back. Lets Go Devils!!!

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I read your post Manilla, all of it and I enjoy, and appreciate your insight very much as I do all of your posts. We agree on more than you think. I can't say I'm that confident though. Through all the question marks the one thing that bothers me the most is Butler being sent out, and Janssen being kept up. I don't know who made this decision, or who thinks Janssen is more vital, but that right there makes me scratch my head. Butler who we could use leaving, and Janssen with a two way contract staying when we already have Barch. Even if Butler comes back next week, it's still a bad move I think. We need him now. As long as Barch is healthy we don't need Cam. He's not a necessity right now, and I feel Butler is.

That's the biggest issue I have right now. More than the 8 defensemen, more than Larsson possibly sitting, more than not signing Sykora or making a trade, more than Tedenby, etc.

I think it's a valid point, because more than one other person has vented their frustration about this. Just none more outspoken as I am.

manilaNJ

Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
manila, why did you "TL;DR" your post?

You really think we would skip your post?

Well it was a loooot longer than I intended it to be, and I know the internet :laugh:

I read your post Manilla, all of it and I enjoy, and appreciate your insight very much as I do all of your posts. We agree on more than you think. I can't say I'm that confident though. Through all the question marks the one thing that bothers me the most is Butler being sent out, and Janssen being kept up. I don't know who made this decision, or who thinks Janssen is more vital, but that right there makes me scratch my head. Butler who we could use leaving, and Janssen with a two way contract staying when we already have Barch. Even if Butler comes back next week, it's still a bad move I think. We need him now. As long as Barch is healthy we don't need Cam. He's not a necessity right now, and I feel Butler is.

That's the biggest issue I have right now. More than the 8 defensemen, more than Larsson possibly sitting, more than not signing Sykora or making a trade, more than Tedenby, etc.

I think it's a valid point, because more than one other person has vented their frustration about this. Just none more outspoken as I am.

What I'm saying man, is just... buckle up. We're in for a ride here.
This team as it stands right now is far from the team that's going to end the season.
There are a lot of question marks... but there's time. And options.

And the people pulling the strings, I trust to do so in the most effective way manner.

Neither Lou nor Pete is done with this team yet. Just enjoy the game and have faith in the fact that plans are in motion to fix any holes that may be found tomorrow.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Well it was a loooot longer than I intended it to be, and I know the internet :laugh:

What I'm saying man, is just... buckle up. We're in for a ride here.
This team as it stands right now is far from the team that's going to end the season.
There are a lot of question marks... but there's time. And options.

And the people pulling the strings, I trust to do so in the most effective way manner.

Neither Lou nor Pete is done with this team yet. Just enjoy the game and have faith in the fact that plans are in motion to fix any holes that may be found tomorrow.

I don't believe they're done making moves either. It really comes down to having too many defensemen right now. That's what it comes down to, but we don't need to rush to move any. Just make use of Janssen's two way contract, and keep Butler up! What happens if everyone is healthy when Henrique gets back? You gonna send Tedenby back if he's playing good just to accommodate one of the worst players in the league?

Believe me if we hear Janssen is going down, and Butler is coming back, I'd be much more relaxed right now.

manilaNJ

Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
I don't believe they're done making moves either. It really comes down to having too many defensemen right now. That's what it comes down to, but we don't need to rush to move any. Just make use of Janssen's two way contract, and keep Butler up! What happens if everyone is healthy when Henrique gets back? You gonna send Tedenby back if he's playing good just to accommodate one of the worst players in the league?

Believe me if we hear Janssen is going down, and Butler is coming back, I'd be much more relaxed right now.

As long as the Rinaldos and Ashams and Boultons (hee) exist in this division, we're going to have Janssen, or Janssen-esque type, on this roster. That's life in the Atlantic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad