GDT: 1/17/16 "Space Oddity" - Panthers VS Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Well for starters, the zone entries have been awful since the first game. Has that changed? Nope, still the same, standing around the blue line and waiting for one guy to push through the opposing PK. Once every 5 games they manage to get a proper breakout going and give me hope, only to be let down by the same standing blueline crap on the following PP.

Secondly, as was evident by our two good PPs today, we don't have a proper net front presence. The two times that it actually worked, first Shaw was there and then Bjugstad.

Thirdly, the roles are too much set on stone. Bjugstad shoots, Pirri shoots, there, call it a day. It's so ****ing obvious that the opposing team sees it coming from a mile away. The PP has little-to-none creativity, which was shown today when Pirri finally got taken off the PP and all the top guns were put on the same unit. If Tampa didn't play well on the PK and someone other than Huberdeau was doing the shooting, that unit would've scored.

Agree with the zone entries. We flirted a bit with the Finnish breakout and had some success from it but otherwise we need to win the faceoff or there is no momentum.

Second point is why I was surprised Brickley was never parked in front of the net. That was how he scored so much in the AHL, right at the goal mouth. When it was working earlier in the year Jagr was the key guy in front of the net but now he is up in the circle instead.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Also even if a team's PP has some succees, it shouldn't be used as an excuse to not change if it starts struggling. Any competent coach sees when that's happening and adjusts accordingly, Mike Kelly just seems to be so ****ing stubborn that he refuses to acknowledge that his strategies aren't working.

Agree with the zone entries. We flirted a bit with the Finnish breakout and had some success from it but otherwise we need to win the faceoff or there is no momentum.

Second point is why I was surprised Brickley was never parked in front of the net. That was how he scored so much in the AHL, right at the goal mouth. When it was working earlier in the year Jagr was the key guy in front of the net but now he is up in the circle instead.
Don't even need the Finnish breakout, just that the PP unit has to be just that, a unit. It doesn't work if one guy tries to push through on his own and the other four are standing still with their hands in their pockets.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Brandon Pirri was on the ice for 14 scoring chances against tonight. Only players who had more were Brian Campbell (15) and Roberto Luongo who was obviously on the ice for all of them.

He has the 3rd highest 5v5 scoring chances against per 60 rate on the team with 25.79.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
So Knight at the 3rd C and MacKenzie as the 4th C. Fine, except Bjugstad has been back for 7 or 8 games now which is why Knight hasn't been playing C, the position where he was most effective. His faceoff stats dipped since his first several games where he was dominating and he's been mostly a non factor from what I've seen. I don't think Shaw belongs on the 3rd line...his style is more suited to a 4th line checking role playing defense and chipping in offensively. With the 1st and 2nd line going and Bjugstad back in the lineup, we have the potential for a 3rd scoring line.

Well how but we worry about getting 2 scoring lines before 3... trocheck line hasn't produced much last little whike... I want Bjugs with tro and Smith and Knight jussi pirri can be a reliable 3rd line that can pitch in on occasion

CatscratchFever

#CatsAreComing
Dec 11, 2002
O-hi-O
Visit site
This feels more normal. I was worried the typical Panthers had evaporated. A couple more and I can get back to the fire Gallant thread. Then all will be right with the world.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
U guys can blame coach for pp all u want but players unwilling and unable to get puck to net with traffic isn't on coaches.. he's not telling them to pass around perimeter and don't shoot... he can't execute the zone entry and make the proper reads for them.. u can't set designed plays and just think they will work., its not football..

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I'll take the next thread. With a meh team there are going to be ebbs and flows. Still in a good position though, 3 game losing streak yet 8th place only gained 2 points on them.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
U guys can blame coach for pp all u want but players unwilling and unable to get puck to net with traffic isn't on coaches.. he's not telling them to pass around perimeter and don't shoot... he can't execute the zone entry and make the proper reads for them.. u can't set designed plays and just think they will work., its not football..
No and I'm not implying that, but when it keeps on going game after game, it's on Kelly for not kicking them in the butt to get their **** together, if they're not meant to do that.

Like I said, when it keeps on happening game after game, it's a bad strategy call by Kelly and even worse call by him not to change it.

I'd expect an NHL level coach to tell them not to stand at the blueline if that's not the supposed way how Kelly wants to run the PP, or I've drastically over-estimated Kelly's abilities, he should be in a beer league then.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
until ekblad comes up we'll be limping along. luckily the canucks game was tied and got a point, this one we only lost by 1 (essentially), only the flames game was out of hand. they need to rebound and beat the oilers. 3 goals in the last 3 games isnt gonna get it done.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I love Ekblad but to say that they would have won these games with him isn't true. They have played poorly, like in 4-5 games during that win streak, but aren't getting lucky this time.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
I love Ekblad but to say that they would have won these games with him isn't true. They have played poorly, like in 4-5 games during that win streak, but aren't getting lucky this time.

Ekblad would have made a huge difference tonight on pp and especially in 3rd when campbell and mitchell were firing absolute muffins nowhere near the net

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012

well the flames game absolutely, but the canucks game and this one, well it definitely wouldnt have hurt. i can't say for a fact that we would've won one or both of those games, but with a completely healthy lineup, even though our play hasn't been impressive, i still feel we can beat anyone. with him out I'm not nearly as confident.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Ekblad would have made a huge difference tonight on pp and especially in 3rd when campbell and mitchell were firing absolute muffins nowhere near the net

Lol Huberdeau was the front runner of this. Call him out too then. Literally missed the net 3 straight times from the exact same spot

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Lol Huberdeau was the front runner of this. Call him out too then. Literally missed the net 3 straight times from the exact same spot

I'm talking about our dmen getting shots to the net from the blue line... not a lefty near the half wall on the pp... but yes hit the net huby... at least he was shooting and even got a clapper off which was something new and to be honest a good thing

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
I'm talking about our dmen getting shots to the net from the blue line... not a lefty near the half wall on the pp... but yes hit the net huby... at least he was shooting and even got a clapper off which was something new and to be honest a good thing

If we are speaking D, Campbell started shooting from the point on the PP which was fine.

he even had one off the rush.

Kuli needs to shoot.

Our only other offensive D man left is Kampfer, who has been a disappointment

Panthers Rock

Rebuild 10.0
Apr 17, 2006
Winter Springs, FL
Sorry about any mistakes in the GDT, I miss some sometimes when copying from a template of mine.

I didn't get a chance to do anything else tonight as I went to the game in Tampa, which of course was an unfortunate outcome. Not sure how quickly I'll go back there for another game. Now 0-2 there and while no real vitriol was thrown directly at me or my family, it's one thing to lose in your barn, another to lose in the opposing team's arena. They were generally friendly but then this rivalry isn't that much of a rivalry, yet.

I may make the next GDT, but if anyone else wants to do it now, go for it.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Only 3 points up on the division. We are struggling and can't afford to lose any more.

Not expecting a good result tomorrow to be honest. We look sluggish and are playing like we did in November.

I really wish we didn't throw around all these extensions during a ****ing winning streak. Who's idea was that? Might not get our next win until the FOLLOWING Tuesday against the Leafs, and even then the Leafs are no pushover under Babcock (despite losing 5 straight now).

Hoping to see some sort of activity from Tallon. Brandon Pirri is just not a threat on the powerplay right now. Our entire PP is so damn predictable.

Really disappointed in this team right now. Total lack of effort for big chunks of these games. To post a 12-game losing streak and follow it with a bunch of losses is just such a ****ing Panthers thing to do. Ugh, makes me wanna puke.

:(

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Only 3 points up on the division. We are struggling and can't afford to lose any more.

Not expecting a good result tomorrow to be honest. We look sluggish and are playing like we did in November.

I really wish we didn't throw around all these extensions during a ****ing winning streak. Who's idea was that? Might not get our next win until the FOLLOWING Tuesday against the Leafs, and even then the Leafs are no pushover under Babcock (despite losing 5 straight now).

Hoping to see some sort of activity from Tallon. Brandon Pirri is just not a threat on the powerplay right now. Our entire PP is so damn predictable.

Really disappointed in this team right now. Total lack of effort for big chunks of these games. To post a 12-game losing streak and follow it with a bunch of losses is just such a ****ing Panthers thing to do. Ugh, makes me wanna puke.

:(

Tomorrow is a gut check for this team.

Have to win it. Must win. If they dont I will be very disgusted.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
How fast the the losing decades are washed away here... lol.

This is the Panthers and they are sitting at the top of the Atlantic. And people are crying about couple of losses. And I'm savoring every moment.

giphy.gif

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012

thats for the division lead though, not for making the playoffs or not. we aren't winning the division (i got detroit there). we have a 7pt lead on the 8th spot along with a game in hand, plus we'd win a tie breaker as it stands now. 7 points is standing pretty well, considering usually we're on the outside trying to squeeze into a top-8 spot. we've have 2 regulation losses in a row. 1 win and those 2pt shoot you up a good little ways. the fact we have 1pt in the last 3 games and we still have a 3pt lead from the 2nd place team and would win a tie breaker, that says something. i think we'll struggle a bit until ekblad comes back, but luckily he won't be out for long. at most we go the next 4 games without him. hopefully the guys can at least get a point out of edmonton, let ekblad rest until the toronto game imo vs a beatable team and see if we can grab 2pt before the all-star break.

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
The gwg tonight was a horrid bounce.

Ekblad would have made a difference..

And he would've scored on Kampfer 3 on 1 chance vs Vancouver to seal it.
2 GWGs/game tieing? vs TB. Stats don't lie. Some of naysayers here use stats VERSUS us ,but not in favour of us.

I was at the Calgary game. One guy was not going to win that game for us, but he would've made it tougher on Johnny / Bennett lines instead of all those slot area goals.

That's how good Ekblad is UCantHanzel.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Not saying that the 12-game winning streak was a fluke, but we were hardly dominating any of our opponents. Many games could have gone either way, so did last game against Tampa. Personally I am a little worried, but no reason to panic

About Pirri:

- terrible d-zone coverage on a shift-to-shift basis
- his skating is at a Kopecky level
- can't/won't win any 1on1 battles
- doesn't seem to fit with anyone on this current roster

I agree (with one little exception for the D-zone coverage. Bjugstad and Shaw are not much of a help which makes Pirri even look worse than he actually is).

Pirri scored over 20 once in his career. He is not a guy where we can be sure that he can repeat it (of course with 9 in 45 the chances are not so bad, but the last games were not convincing).

We can't carry a guy around like that for so long if he doesn't provide anything else during his cold streaks. For all these reasons, I don't understand why he gets such a long leash. I look at a guy like Smith who is very streaky scoring-wise but is always good on PK, is decent on the cycle, faster and responsible in the D-zone.

I do not question Pirri's efforts, but 1. right now Bjugstad and Shaw are not the right guys to get him started (JJ-Bjugy-Shaw looked so much better together) and 2. I do not see another line combination where he could fit, just as SoupyFIN pointed out.

A benching for a game or 2 has often done miracles, so why not do that (and take the opportunity if a guy like Rau can have a positive impact)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad