GDT: 1/17/16 "Space Oddity" - Panthers VS Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
D zone coverage is miles ahead of where it was last year.. he battles fine but that's not his strength and it's fine to have a player or two on your roster like that... he is 5th on our team in goals and creates offense from 3rd line with a revolving door of players...

Yup Pirri is miles ahead in defensive play.

From Laughable to awful.

vektorious

Nov 19, 2009
Why not sit Pirri and bring up Rau on Bjugstads wing? We can use a guy that can score in the dirty areas. They have chemistry too. I think he deserves a shot after his great play in the A. Pirri deflates an entire line, he can score only three ways - one timer, breakaway, and shootout. His one timers have been blocked or missed the net 60% of the time lately. I really see him as a weak link. Let him sit for a few games and get the fire underneath him again. We need the 20 goal scorer pirri.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
D zone coverage is miles ahead of where it was last year.. he battles fine but that's not his strength and it's fine to have a player or two on your roster like that... he is 5th on our team in goals and creates offense from 3rd line with a revolving door of players...
Maybe he's improved slightly, but he's certainly not miles better. If we're talking miles, he's by a country mile our worst forward defensively.

It's fine to have a player like that when they're actually contributing, Pirri's game doesn't suit with the collection of players that are available.

New coach won't make a kick of difference.. until we get dmen that can get the puck through it won't change... pp is fine when we shoot and get traffic... look at oikers... they took Sanjose pp coach and their pp stinks cause of incapable dmen
A new coach would at least try something different, than bashing his head against a wall that clearly isn't going to give in.

45 games into the season and only now Kelly did a drastic change to a combo that wasn't effective. 45 games. Let that sink in for a while.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Why not sit Pirri and bring up Rau on Bjugstads wing? We can use a guy that can score in the dirty areas. They have chemistry too. I think he deserves a shot after his great play in the A. Pirri deflates an entire line, he can score only three ways - one timer, breakaway, and shootout. His one timers have been blocked or missed the net 60% of the time lately. I really see him as a weak link. Let him sit for a few games and get the fire underneath him again. We need the 20 goal scorer pirri.

We cant even call anyone up because Bolland hasnt been IRed yet.

Your scratches are Ekblad, Thornton and Bolland.

we have no room to call anyone up unless you send someone down.

freaking Bolland

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Must've saw the stats incorrectly. I thought I saw 6th ranked PP. If that were the case for us the point of being 10 points ahead stands. Our damn PP has been holding us back for years. This must mean you guys are having a year like we did last year. Great 5 vs 5 play with great goaltending and poor power play.
The PP stats are skewed because we've had a couple of games against teams that had a horrible PK, the opening game vs. Flyers being the prime example.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Would love to see Shane Harper replace Brandon Pirri. Pirri has done nothing noteworthy in what feels like forever. Maybe it's because we haven't had a shootout in awhile. :sarcasm:

EstConf96*

The one time 20 goal scorer Pirri.

Pukboy5kroner

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
Must've saw the stats incorrectly. I thought I saw 6th ranked PP. If that were the case for us the point of being 10 points ahead stands. Our damn PP has been holding us back for years. This must mean you guys are having a year like we did last year. Great 5 vs 5 play with great goaltending and poor power play.

Our PK is up there, but the PP started off strong and took a nose dive. The 6th overall thing might be our powerplay on home ice. The Panthers broadcast crew never stops talking about that.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Would love to see Shane Harper replace Brandon Pirri. Pirri has done nothing noteworthy in what feels like forever. Maybe it's because we haven't had a shootout in awhile. :sarcasm:

But we dont even have a spot open correct? We are at max right now, someone has to be sent down or IRed....

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
These dmen you talk about do they grow on trees? Or can we get another top 3 dmen for a lame prospect + bad pick?

Nope hard to find... maybe we have one in system in matheson or weegar.. but we need a dman more than a scoring winger... I would move 1st any prospect and bjugstad to get one with term..

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Maybe he's improved slightly, but he's certainly not miles better. If we're talking miles, he's by a country mile our worst forward defensively.

It's fine to have a player like that when they're actually contributing, Pirri's game doesn't suit with the collection of players that are available.

A new coach would at least try something different, than bashing his head against a wall that clearly isn't going to give in.

45 games into the season and only now Kelly did a drastic change to a combo that wasn't effective. 45 games. Let that sink in for a while.

What drastic change r u talking about? It's been the same pp all year... the same one that was scoring at will early in year..

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
I don't even dislike Pirri, he has good vision, bomb of a shot when he is on and can make plays... but he just loses every battle and can't beat anyone 1v1 at in the nhl. Will be a great player at any other level.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Correct. Unless Ekblad (or Bolland) goes to IR, gotta send someone down to make room...at 23 right now.

Any indication someone might go? It would be between Harper And Knight right? Those are the only ones that dont need Waivers?

Why is Bolland not IRed anyway. That front has gotten really quiet....

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Pirri doesn't cost us anything defensively u guys act like he's a liabikity... not even close..the offense has dried up for everyone... but pirri on the 3rd line with rotating door of linemates get the heat... how but the trocheck line does something? Hes a god on here and hasn't created nothing lately either.. barkov line didn't have a shot on goal in first 2 periods tonight... that's not good... pirri will go through these phases cause he isn't elite... but benching him will do nothing it's not like he doesn't bust ass every shift... un less he starts costing us goals against tor effort disappears u let him play through it... he produced very well all year from 3rd line... only 4 players have more goals than him.. worry more about offense from our backend

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Any indication someone might go? It would be between Harper And Knight right? Those are the only ones that dont need Waivers?

Why is Bolland not IRed anyway. That front has gotten really quiet....

Shaw or Knight would have to go back if they wanted to go that route, but management seems to be content with their play right now. Honestly haven't heard anything on Bolland lately and it's odd. They probably aren't putting him on IR because they don't need to call anyone up right now. I guess you could argue they need a 7th dman with Ekblad out, but it doesn't seem like they'll be calling anyone up since Ekblad could potentially play Friday.

Personally, I think Knight needs to go back, put Shaw on the 4th line, and put Harper on the 3rd. That's just me though

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
I don't even dislike Pirri, he has good vision, bomb of a shot when he is on and can make plays... but he just loses every battle and can't beat anyone 1v1 at in the nhl. Will be a great player at any other level.

It's fine to have one or two players on your team like that.. until we have someone that can replace his offense there is no reason to bench... we have Noone to replace his shot on the pp.. and if we had ekblad or Bjugs with him on the pp he would have ,ore room to actually function.. but campbells muffin ain't cutting it AND was a main reason we lost tonight

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Shaw or Knight would have to go back if they wanted to go that route, but management seems to be content with their play right now. Honestly haven't heard anything on Bolland lately and it's odd. They probably aren't putting him on IR because they don't need to call anyone up right now. I guess you could argue they need a 7th dman with Ekblad out, but it doesn't seem like they'll be calling anyone up since Ekblad could potentially play Friday.

Personally, I think Knight needs to go back, put Shaw on the 4th line, and put Harper on the 3rd. That's just me though

I think knight shoukd be 3rd c with jussi and pirri... shaw back to 4th line with howden.. I would prefer shaw to go down if we're gonna give someone like rau or harper a look.. need the depth at c up here..

EstConf96*

It's fine to have one or two players on your team like that.. until we have someone that can replace his offense there is no reason to bench... we have Noone to replace his shot on the pp.. and if we had ekblad or Bjugs with him on the pp he would have ,ore room to actually function.. but campbells muffin ain't cutting it AND was a main reason we lost tonight

His shot on the PP don't fool anyone anymore.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013

You're giving his shot too much credit. It works like once every 5 years

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA

I can agree with that. They dont even use Knight for faceoffs anymore.

Pirri hasnt been useful since the Vancouver and Ottawa shootouts.

Oh and he got an Empty net right to make it 5-1? Yeah.....nothing.

Liked Jokinen Bjugs Shaw.

That PP unit with Bjugstad, Trocheck, Huberdeau, Barkov, and Kulikov was nice but they shouldnt have Huberdeau shooting the puck. He couldnt snipe a puck into a 3 car garage.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
I think knight shoukd be 3rd c with jussi and pirri... shaw back to 4th line with howden.. I would prefer shaw to go down if we're gonna give someone like rau or harper a look.. need the depth at c up here..

So Knight at the 3rd C and MacKenzie as the 4th C. Fine, except Bjugstad has been back for 7 or 8 games now which is why Knight hasn't been playing C, the position where he was most effective. His faceoff stats dipped since his first several games where he was dominating and he's been mostly a non factor from what I've seen. I don't think Shaw belongs on the 3rd line...his style is more suited to a 4th line checking role playing defense and chipping in offensively. With the 1st and 2nd line going and Bjugstad back in the lineup, we have the potential for a 3rd scoring line.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
What drastic change r u talking about? It's been the same pp all year... the same one that was scoring at will early in year..
Well for starters, the zone entries have been awful since the first game. Has that changed? Nope, still the same, standing around the blue line and waiting for one guy to push through the opposing PK. Once every 5 games they manage to get a proper breakout going and give me hope, only to be let down by the same standing blueline crap on the following PP.

Secondly, as was evident by our two good PPs today, we don't have a proper net front presence. The two times that it actually worked, first Shaw was there and then Bjugstad.

Thirdly, the roles are too much set on stone. Bjugstad shoots, Pirri shoots, there, call it a day. It's so ****ing obvious that the opposing team sees it coming from a mile away. The PP has little-to-none creativity, which was shown today when Pirri finally got taken off the PP and all the top guns were put on the same unit. If Tampa didn't play well on the PK and someone other than Huberdeau was doing the shooting, that unit would've scored.

Correct. Unless Ekblad (or Bolland) goes to IR, gotta send someone down to make room...at 23 right now.
Just waive Bolland and assign him to Portland, but tell him not to report there.

Pirri doesn't cost us anything defensively u guys act like he's a liabikity... not even close..the offense has dried up for everyone... but pirri on the 3rd line with rotating door of linemates get the heat... how but the trocheck line does something? Hes a god on here and hasn't created nothing lately either.. barkov line didn't have a shot on goal in first 2 periods tonight... that's not good... pirri will go through these phases cause he isn't elite... but benching him will do nothing it's not like he doesn't bust ass every shift... un less he starts costing us goals against tor effort disappears u let him play through it... he produced very well all year from 3rd line... only 4 players have more goals than him.. worry more about offense from our backend
He gives quality scoring chances at least a couple of times per night to the opposing team, you're telling me that isn't a liability?

Everyone else apart from Bjugstad are at least above average defensively and that's why they don't get criticized heavily even if they have a bad night offensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad