Management 0 Days since new Melnyk Incident

BloodRedArmy

Nov 29, 2013
Bytown
Call me crazy (and I hate defending Melnyk) but isn't this something that should already happen if you're loaning your players to another team? Seems only fair tbh
Well, and I'm only assuming here, wouldn't the European club be the ones actually paying the insurance, and the player? Seems off to me, at least the optics...

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Well, and I'm only assuming here, wouldn't the European club be the ones actually paying the insurance, and the player? Seems off to me, at least the optics...
Why would the team being loaned the player collect the insurance?

If I loaned you my car, you insured it and then you crashed it and it had to be written off, who would the insurance money go to?

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Call me crazy (and I hate defending Melnyk) but isn't this something that should already happen if you're loaning your players to another team? Seems only fair tbh
I honestly expected all teams already did it the way Ottawa did. Can’t blame Ottawa for wanting protection.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario

If I loaned you my car, you insured it and then you crashed it and it had to be written off, who would the insurance money go to?
I think because if players get hurt, Ottawa is still on the hook for their NHL salaries. Maybe I’m missing something, but is this not the same as the NHL demanding the Olympics cover insurance premiums if the NHL allows players to compete in Olympics?

BloodRedArmy

Nov 29, 2013
Bytown

The insurance money would be paying back the salary that the European team was paying.
It's not like the insurance provides a brand new player. I get where you're coming from, but it's apples and oranges.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I mean, I would want my players to be insured if they were playing for another team but my own.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
The insurance money would be paying back the salary that the European team was paying.
It's not like the insurance provides a brand new player. I get where you're coming from, but it's apples and oranges.
As far as I understand there are player disability insurances purchased by the players and then others purchased by teams through a centralized insurance platform run by the NHL. The gist of it is that you take your top handful of salaries on the team and then the insurance underwriter comes up with a monthly premium you pay and you can insure any player's salary through that mechanism once they hit a certain trigger of games lost to injury. That's the oversimplified version with the more complicated version including injury history, payout structure, etc.

Typically, the team pays around 5% of the players' salaries to receive all of that coverage. Let's say the team experiences a significant amount of games lost to long term injuries, the insurance will only cover a handful of those players and the rest will still be paid for by the team in full.

Some players may also choose to insure themselves. Some might insure against loss of future income in the case of some type of career ending injury but those insurance premiums are super super expensive. Example: Tavares didn't play for Team Canada in 2018 at the WHC because the premiums to cover his loss of future income was astronomical, the year he was UFA.

Now, going back to the original point:
  • Ottawa Senators own Player X's contract
  • They loan out Player X to Team B
  • Team B has to place a temporary disability insurance on Player X as long as they're suiting up for Team B
  • In the case where Player X sustains a long-term injury the insurance will be paid to the Ottawa Senators, not the player and not Team B
  • If Player X is injured Ottawa must pay the remainder of his salary for the rest of that year because its likely the Senators would be using the premiums they pay to cover their most expensive players.
If they own the player's contract and they carry the responsibility to pay his salary regardless of his health, why would Ottawa be expected to cover the rest of his salary for 2020-21 because he got injured playing for another team while on loan?

To be honest, I'm more surprised that this wasn't the normal in these player loan scenarios.

Reactions: NB613 and JD1

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Such a joke... totally nothing. Good business move during shit times.

At the end of the podcast, Freidman says that it's a good thing since the Sens organization are playing tough...

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

Nope, Melynk did something .. it has to be bad. Where’s my $1 Costco beer?

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Not really sure what the Ottawa Sun was expecting on this one. The fact that they published an apology for misrepresenting certain facts isn't going to help their case either. Not that I give a flying f*** about Melnyk but the Sun should have consulted with their lawyers before running those stories and giving this moron some ammunition to claim the media is out to get him.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
As much as I dislike EM if he has a case & they hurt his reputation then the Sun deserves it for not doing their due diligence. More people should go after the media for the fake & bias news they spew regularly.

CNN - Constant Negative News Network or Crisis News Network, where everything at every second is Breaking News.

Last edited:
Reactions: Matsens15

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Seriously man.

Unless he agrees to settle out of court and give the proceeds to a charity, what's the point? This will change NO ONE'S mind and the original article likely did not change a single person's mind about Melnyk. I'd guess that making a case this cost him $500,000 might be difficult.

On another note, what is this dude's legal budget?

Less lawyers more players please.

Reactions: topshelf15

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad