Friedman: “I wouldn’t be surprised if [Evander]Kane was a guy on [Pens] radar.”

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Cole is a nice player and we certainly need help on both sides of the blueline. But Botts and Rutherford are cut from the same cloth, so for the same reasons that PIT may be trying to move him - i.e., contract demand, style of play, expected regression on next contract due to age, etc. - I could see Buffalo steering clear of Cole. I imagine Cole wants to cash in on this next contract, especially after two Cup runs. I would be surprised if, with the holes Buffalo has all over its roster, Botts throws Cole a four- or five-year deal at $4m+ AAV. I think there's a decent chance that Cole looks a lot like Josh Gorges at the end of his next contract.

I think this is very possible and it's a very reasonable take. I think there's a very real chance that Cole's value here and Cole's value in the real hockey world are very different, because there are a lot of dumb GMs out there who value the **** out of leadership and experience. Cole by himself is a more physical Ron Hainsey to keep it as simple as possible, that's about it. He's a physical #5 DFD that played at a legitimate top-4 level on a cup winning team. Granted, it was probably only because Schultz was having a phenomenal season and Cole and Schultz were stapled together, but Cole was legitimately great last season. However, he's just not that player. He's not a 25 point, +25 DFD capable of playing 20 minutes a night like he was last year (he had 26 points in 81 games and was a +26 with 19:49 TOI/game). However, I could definitely see a team thinking he is (or at least he can sustain something close to that), because there are dumb GMs out there. Combine that with some intangibles, 2 cup wins and GRIT!!!! and I could definitely see Cole having some ridiculous value and get a ridiculous paycheck.

I'd like to think Botterill isn't a dumb GM, but I don't think we have enough of a track record to say that. Could you imagine if Cole would have been a free agent last year? Dear god, I could see some teams offering him contracts in the $5 millions. Alzner is at $4.625 and he only had 13 points last year.

Given Sprong's unavailability, I think a Kane deal with Pittsburgh would have to be more futures oriented (e.g., 2018 1st, 2019 2nd). Because I believe Botts wants a good, near NHL-ready prospect back in any deal, I think the Pens' offer would be trumped by another club.

I think Rutherford would be completely down to offer picks because he treats picks like trade assets more than draft picks. I could also see the Penguins including Simon in a potential Kane deal to be honest. Simon isn't knock off your socks good, but he's NHL ready and he has put up 2+ solid seasons in the AHL. He's doing well with the Penguins right now. Simon would be an intriguing piece in this deal because I actually think Rutherford wouldn't shy away from including him.

I like Simon, but for a team that already has Sheary and Guentzel, the need for another undersized playmaker doesn't seem all that high.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
If Pittsburgh wants a guy with character issues, all the power to them. Evander will be happy to leave that mess of an organization too lol.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
This reeks of a typical Pens move that will turn into gold for them. He’ll do well, win a Cup then re-sign.....

Why hockey gods why!?

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I bet 1st, Hagelin, Sprong and Cole is what goes to Buffalo if Kane heads to Pittsburgh.

I think Pittsburgh should look into Bogosian too if he ever gets healthy.

Hagelin would be a great addition for Buffalo considering he's played so many playoff games, might be able to help the young Sabres get into the playoffs.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
Evander Kane(50% retention)

for

Ian Cole(sign and trade)
Kasper Bjorkvist
2018 PIT 1st(lottery protected)

Feb 24, 2017
I'm just saying the Pens should consider a deal involving him for E Kane if that's the Buffalo ask. Their cup window is (seemingly?) still open, so sometimes you need to make those types of moves to win.

Before someone brings up asset management - what's the sense in hoarding assets if you're never going to cash in on them to win?
They may win a third Stanley Cup in three years with an addition like Kane, but where would this leave them in the cap space and prospect cups? Cmon man. Think!

Feb 24, 2017
Evander Kane(50% retention)

for

Ian Cole(sign and trade)
Kasper Bjorkvist
2018 PIT 1st(lottery protected)
Do you really feel so absolutely gutless that you can’t even muster the online bravery to not post “lottery protected” for a team with Sidney f***ing Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, etc?

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
First i'll say "duh" to Friedman...

Couple of things:

-JR would 100% want a sign/trade so
-the deal would require atleast one of Maatta or Sheary + the 1st most likely imo
-JR does seem to be targeting an upper tier winger/hybrid: Big push for Duchene(shows he's willing to part with quite a bit), interest in Galchenyuk/Patches and possibly Bjugstad
-a Kane acquisition may mean a possible Hornqvist trade on the other side. Maybe.
-all that being said i could easily see JR having more interest in Pouliot than Kane and of course ROR but i dunno how he'd get him...

Kasperi kapanen

Jul 23, 2014
First i'll say "duh" to Friedman...

Couple of things:

-JR would 100% want a sign/trade so
-the deal would require atleast one of Maatta or Sheary + the 1st most likely imo
-JR does seem to be targeting an upper tier winger/hybrid: Big push for Duchene(shows he's willing to part with quite a bit), interest in Galchenyuk/Patches and possibly Bjugstad
-a Kane acquisition may mean a possible Hornqvist trade on the other side. Maybe.
-all that being said i could easily see JR having more interest in Pouliot than Kane and of course ROR but i dunno how he'd get him...

Maatta+1st+Sprong+Guentzel for Kane+7th?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
How's Pittsburgh for massage parlours, champagne parties, Hooters waitresses, and dog fighting?

Asking for a friend. A friend named Evander.
I have never read any rumors connecting Kane to dog fighting. You would think that after the Mike Vick dog fighting mess, that athletes would avoid dog fighting.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
It better not be for Cole. Botts can't be that stupid. At 28 years old and 2-3 years from Buffalo doing anything meaningful it would be a bad trade.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
What i believe JR is looking at is going after a big fish on the wing or a hybrid c/wing and trying to snag up a 2-way rental 3C. He's been trying for a longer term/younger 3C since a week after the Cup win...namely Duchene. The OTT thing just being fresh and no one knowing exactly what they're gonna do and LV doing so well has put the brakes on that for the most part once he missed on Duchene.

I dunno 100% about his interest in Kane but i could definitely see Pouliot potentially. I think he did have interest in something else in COL: Colin Wilson or Soderberg but Sakic probably wanted a signed Cole+potentially another high asset or Maatta(too rich for JR's blood). I think he's interested in something in FLA, probably Bjugstad who is another hybrid type like Duchene/Galchenyuk who he went after/inquired about.

If we ended up with Kane, Brassard (or Pageau), and a d man from someone I think we'd be all set.

I count that as 2 big fish. JR's lookin' for one and a smaller but effective edition on the other end. ie. say he lands a Brassard, he goes after a Pouliot or Maroon, etc. He lands a Kane, he goes after a Letestu, Plekanec, Bozak rental...

Last edited:

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
How much does Kane make? We have to move a roster player, likely Hags and Cole to fit him under the cap.

It's already been widely reported Botterill has already stated he would get creative, retain on salary of Kane to maximize the return "if the right type of offer".
That type of offer doesn't scream Cole or any other offers by Pens fans save their 1st and Sprong.

Some Penguins fans may be intrigued by a Kane pick up, but Botterill isn't going to move him for second hand table scraps, that's a pipe dream imo.

Other teams will offer better suited packages, the Penguins will have to give to get if they want to remain in the conversation imo.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
It's already been widely reported Botterill has already stated he would get creative, retain on salary of Kane to maximize the return "if the right type of offer".
That type of offer doesn't scream Cole or any other offers by Pens fans save their 1st and Sprong.

Some Penguins fans may be intrigued by a Kane pick up, but Botterill isn't going to move him for second hand table scraps, that's a pipe dream imo.

Other teams will offer better suited packages, the Penguins will have to give to get if they want to remain in the conversation imo.

Thing is everyone thought PIT would never be near the top of the Duchene sweepstakes and i believe they finished 2nd or 3rd (OTT/NSH/PIT). Now that NSH has their C situation sorted, PIT seems like the next biggest spender in terms of the bigger fish for forwards. Other bubble teams that don't believe their window is right now simply won't part with the quantity/quality of assets most of the time.

Like i said, i dunno if JR has interest in Kane. BUT if he did, he'd want a sign/trade and he'd spend more than other teams most likely in terms of quantity+quality like i said(the Pens fans in this thread have low balled it imo). Not a guarentee obviously but if he has interest in Kane, i'd expect him to finish with the player or near the top again. From Kane to Galchenyuk/Patches to maybe a Bjugstad and the next names that pop up like Hoffman recently. JR will get one of em probably/eventually(the bigger fish) cuz he has the flexibility and is willing to spend what it'll take

Last edited:

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
He could drive the third lin by himself so it might be a good idea but they aren’t giving the Sabres sprong they need scoring on their third line and you shouldn’t bet against Crosby and letang being back to form for the playoffs

idk why people give Karlsson the benefit when letang missed way more time last year and Crosby is Crosby

Kane has faults but every fan of his seems to say he shouldn’t be with a good center cuz he does everything himself so he would be a perfect fit for the pens third line

Last edited:

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
PierreMcGuire said the same last night on Montreal radio, said the Pens were going to do something big coming up with maybe a core piece being involved.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
Kane is a UFA right?

He'll get similar to what Hanzal and Ladd have gotten in recent years. A 1st round pick and a 2nd round pick/prospect.

He's putting up better number than those guys were at the time but that would be a safe bet, yes. The market may have more say in the matter than the Sabres themselves, who will take whatever the best offer is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad