Friedman: “I wouldn’t be surprised if [Evander]Kane was a guy on [Pens] radar.”

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
“He made a couple of small moves this week. But I do think we’re getting to the point sooner rather than later when Jim Rutherford goes out and says, ‘Alright, this is what we’re doing to win our third consecutive Stanley Cup.’ And I wouldn’t be surprised if Kane was a guy on their radar.”

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
When was the last time a team traded their top prospect for a rental?

More realistically, it will probably be around something like Cole, a middle of the road prospect and a 1st. It's not bad value at all, I think Kane for Cole, Bjorkqvist and a 1st is perfectly fair value.

Out of the playoffs Sabres have no interest in an expiring contract Cole. Cole could still come in handy with Pens or any contender in a long playoff run. Gustaffsson and a first might be good too.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Out of the playoffs Sabres have no interest in an expiring contract Cole. Cole could still come in handy with Pens or any contender in a long playoff run. Gustaffsson and a first might be good too.

They'd probably want to re-sign him, since Buffalo is very weak on LD and Botterill was the assistant GM for Cole for the last 2 cup runs. It wouldn't just be as a rental, they'd probably want to retain him.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis

Gonna go ahead and guess that they wouldn't have trouble giving him a shot at renewing him if he does well though. It's not like Buff can't take the salary. Seems like Pitt has been trying to ship Cole for a month or so now though.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
They'd probably want to re-sign him, since Buffalo is very weak on LD and Botterill was the assistant GM for Cole for the last 2 cup runs. It wouldn't just be as a rental, they'd probably want to retain him.

Incorrect.
LD isn't the issue.
RD is.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
When was the last time a team traded their top prospect for a rental?

More realistically, it will probably be around something like Cole, a middle of the road prospect and a 1st. It's not bad value at all, I think Kane for Cole, Bjorkqvist and a 1st is perfectly fair value.
Won't happen.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
I don't think they part with Sprong.

Depends really. Does the staff feel they have enough for a 3 peat and how bad do they want that 3 peat. Is Kane a piece they'd pay to get to go for it? These and other variables play a role, but getting him doesn't hurt their current franchise historical run. Sprong is replaceable to them I'm betting given Crosby and Malkin can continue this run beyond just this season.

But beyond the Penguins thoughts on it, Botterill can get better offers from other playoff bound contenders than what's been posted by Pens fans here imo.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
From looking at it from the outside, both sides on defense seem like problems for the Sabres :dunno:

This is true. We basically have one of each, lefties and righties, in Risto and Scandella. Guhle should be a big help for the left side, and sooner than later. Bogosian would be a lot nicer to have if he could stay healthy, but asking him to stay off IR is like asking water not to be wet, so. :dunno:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Depends really. Does the staff feel they have enough for a 3 peat and how bad do they want that 3 peat. Is Kane a piece they'd pay to get to go for it? These and other variables play a role, but getting him doesn't hurt their current franchise historical run. Sprong is replaceable to them I'm betting given Crosby and Malkin can continue this run beyond just this season.

But beyond the Penguins thoughts on it, Botterill can get better offers from other playoff bound contenders than what's been posted by Pens fans here imo.

I can see it being the Pens first and an extended Cole. I don't see them parting with Sprong and that level of cost certainty even to beef up for a three-peat.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY

Maybe. Ultimately i think it will all boil down to just how many teams decide they "need" kane. I don't think Cole a 1st and Bjorkvist is an insulting offer or anything. All depends if Botterill likes Cole enough to want to extend him. I'd hold out for one better piece (like Sprong) over a quantity deal, but if this is the best deal that comes in, I wouldn't hate it.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Sprong and a 1st. That's what it'll take.
Good luck with that.

This has been talked about in depth on the Pens forums. He would be a good fit on the team. If its going to happen its probably shortly after the roster freeze because thats when JR like to make his moves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad