Speculation: ‘20-21 Trade/Free Agency Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
I can't stand Deangelo the player or person, but we would be better off in the long run if we could trade Rico for him and then buy him out after this season.

The ducks already have an offensive RHD who isn't good at defense. So even putting aside all the other issues, I don't see fit on the ducks roster. But if other assets/benefits are attached, such as pickts, prospects or dumping Rico, then it might be worth it. Ducks can send DeAngelo to the AHL and then buy him out.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I suppose you can't discount it because of the rumored interest, now and in the past, but it's kinda crazy to me that's there's any interesr in TDA given he's so far away from what they typically look for. They typically don't like forwards who are as irresponsible and unreliable defensively as he is, and they don't like the attention he brings on himself(although that's a bit easier now). Add in that this meltdown started because he couldn't get over being benched and its really baffling to me.

Oct 18, 2011
I would much rather give Barkov 10 mil the RNH 6 mil.

The Ducks will have the money and they need a legit #1. They dont need a #2.
One thing you notice around the league...paying for the "A" tier players is usually worth it. Teams screw themselves by paying top dollar for "B" players and less. So yes a player like Barkov is alot more worth the cost than RNH

Reactions: Arthuros

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Forwards
Zegras (9th overall, 2019) AHL​

Defense
Lindholm (6th overall, 2012)
Fowler (12th overall, 2010)
Drysdale (6th overall, 2020) AHL​

Goalie
Gibson (2nd round, 2011) - Elite player
Dostal (3rd round, 2018)​

These are our high draft picks with the organization today. We have a top tier 4th line, when healthy, plays against opposing team's top line. Outside of the fourth line, our top-9 is weak and Getzlaf is still trying to carry the team despite losing a step. So let's just say we don't have much NHL assets to trade. All we have are a bunch of lower first round + talents and future draft picks to dangle.

2015 - Rd 1 (27th) D Larsson; Rd 5 RW Terry
2016 - Rd 1 (24th) LW Jones; Rd 1 (30th) C Steel; Rd 3 D Mahura
2017 - Rd 2 LW Comtois
2018 - Rd 1 (23rd) C/W Lundestrom; Rd 2 C Groulx; Rd 3 LW McLaughlin
2019 - Rd 1 (29th) LW Tracey; Rd 2 D LaCombe; Rd 4 D Thrun
2020 - Rd 1 (27th) RW Perreault; Rd 2 RW Colangelo​

We are going to need some of these prospects pan out for us and some of these player show enough promise to net an upper echelon player. This is why we can't include Zegras or Drysdale in any potential trade because they are top-end players that so many on this thread are often citing for top-5 picks.

Since many teams won't let go of their top-end players, often choosing to re-sign them, then the next best thing is having cap space. The Ducks have almost $9 mil available next year with Perry's buyout dropping and Backes' contract coming off the books. If Getz chooses to return, then he'll be at a discounted price from his current salary. And if the right deal comes around, we might use Kesler's LTIR before the season, which is another $6+ mil.

A lot hinges on what happens this season. Can there be growth with this NHL group this season? Will Zegras ever be called up? Will RNH be willing to venture down to Anaheim or stay in the confines of Canada? We're in a spot where we have a bunch of 3rd/4th liners at the moment and wouldn't mind a true 2C going forward while we wait for Zegras to possibly become an NHL center? But we do have assets and do have cap space going into next season.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
The Bobfather believes we have done our due diligence on him. Honestly, I think it's good. He is a player we could use, so it's worth to look into it. I'm confident that our management done enough to measure his off-ice actions and will be able to make a decision. At the end, I don't believe we will get DeAngelo, as there is probably not good risk/reward. But as mgmt, they have to explore it and dig deeper than just the headlines, which is all we have heard.

Oct 18, 2011
Just because they've researched him doesnt mean they like what they found.

Only way I do it is if they take one of our bad contracts and then we buy him out

Reactions: Paul4587

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Really curious to see what we do at the trade deadline. Even if we yet again refuse to deal from the core, we still have some decent players expiring in Rowney, Hutton, Hakanpaa, and Getzlaf (ONLY if he tells management he would like a trade to a contender ala Joe Thornton)

terranraida

#RyanGetzlafIsASaint
Feb 27, 2014
Richmond, VA
Really curious to see what we do at the trade deadline. Even if we yet again refuse to deal from the core, we still have some decent players expiring in Rowney, Hutton, Hakanpaa, and Getzlaf (ONLY if he tells management he would like a trade to a contender ala Joe Thornton)

I think Getzlaf is gonna be one of those who ends his career with us. He bought a chicken coop. You can't move chickens across the country and his wife loves it here, and all those small kids? I'm betting he signs again for 3 years and then calls it.

Reactions: Kalv and Paul4587

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
The odds are against us acquiring him but at the same time I wouldn’t be one bit surprised

I think every team has checked in to see if they can take advantage of the NYR. That being said, I think the rumors are being planted by the NYR or possibly DeAngelo's agent, all in an attempt to create market for DeAngelo. I think its BS and I don't think there is a market given his reputation and contract. Unless the NYR attach a massive asset to him, I don't think the ducks or any other team will want him.

Rowney maybe traded for a 4th? Similar to grant last year? Hutton for a 6th or 7th? Or maybe one of them is a throw in for a bigger deal with Rakell or Manson?

I could see them extending Hakanpaa - feels like a typical Bieksa/Stoner/Sutton BM overpay coming. Murray will fall in love with a "big defenseman" and rationalize the overpay as a way to keep him from being drafted in expansion. This seems very likely if they trade manson.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I think Getzlaf is gonna be one of those who ends his career with us. He bought a chicken coop. You can't move chickens across the country and his wife loves it here, and all those small kids? I'm betting he signs again for 3 years and then calls it.
Agreed, but didn't he already switch houses after the chicken coop?

OCSportsfan

Sep 30, 2011
From a hockey perspective, he is better than most of our D, but who would be dropped/traded. We already have too many NHL players now.

Just on D, here is 7
Lindholm - Not going
Fowler - Not going
Shatty - Not going(Only because we just signed him)
Hank - Different player
Manson - Could be but I hope he is traded for a bigger fish
Hutton -
Larsson

I would guess it would have to be Larsson plus a Pick/Prospect. But remember Drysdale is coming up next year, so I just dont see that there is space.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Lindholm - Manson
Fowler - Hakanpaa
Hutton/Larsson - Shattenkirk

No room for DeAngelo, unless they are trading Manson+ for a scoring forward. Doubt it.

Plus have Drysdale hopefully coming up next season as well.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Lindholm - Manson
Fowler - Hakanpaa

No room for DeAngelo, unless they are trading Manson+ for a scoring forward. Doubt it.

Move Manson lol he’s as garbage at hockey as Deangelo is at being a decent human being

Reactions: Leonardo87

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Lindholm - Manson
Fowler - Hakanpaa

Only take him if we are shedding a contract and getting some sort of asset. Bury him on the taxi squad for the year and then buy him out for 1/3 of the remainder of his contract (25 and under rule).

Reactions: Paul4587
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad