Speculation: ‘20-21 Trade/Free Agency Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
There is no chance Bob blows it up. He is gonna rush it and kill the rebuild. I’ve been a huge supporter of Bob in the past but his comments about the rebuild taking too long has basically killed all trust I had in him.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
There is no chance Bob blows it up. He is gonna rush it and kill the rebuild. I’ve been a huge supporter of Bob in the past but his comments about the rebuild taking too long has basically killed all trust I had in him.
Probably up to the samueli not bob

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

He was mostly hesitant to move his 1sts and better prospects even when we were a top contender. I think those comments were mostly just what he thought Shattenkirk might need to hear in order to sign here, and even rebuilding clubs aren't striving for futility. I'd be really surprised if he made any moves that mortgage and key parts of our future to achieve short term gain.

What I hope he's doing is exhausting all avenues of adding core talent who are young and/or cost controlled.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Move Rakell and Manson at deadline.... if we want em back we resign em in 2 years when we’re closer to being back as a contender

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Move Rakell and Manson at deadline.... if we want em back we resign em in 2 years when we’re closer to being back as a contender

If they are traded there is no way they come back.

I still think moving Rakell and Manson should be done this offseason. Rakell's cap hit has HUGE value this offseason.

Reactions: Getz2noone

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
If they are traded there is no way they come back.

I still think moving Rakell and Manson should be done this offseason. Rakell's cap hit has HUGE value this offseason.
That’s fine either way.... but I’m cool gaining the assets and continue to build a young core.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
That’s fine either way.... but I’m cool gaining the assets and continue to build a young core.
Me too. Get assets, get room to take on a contract for more assets, build a best in league prospect pool and only start signing free agents when we have the appropriate core to build around. The more young prospects we have the more ELCs we have and the more we can afford a quality free agent.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
This is the season to rebuild and have a team go through growing pains. With no/limited fans in the stands, it's not like the team will be losing out on much money from reduced fans. If stadiums open at half capacity, Ducks will probably still sell most/all of those tickets (assuming prices don't go up) from the die hard fans who understand the team needs to rebuild. Use the years where there can't be many fans to rebuild and have an exciting team when we can safely have full stadiums again.

Now this doesn't mean trade away all of the good players, keep the guys that are good for insulating the young guys and the ones that can teach them good habits (Getz, Henrique, Silf) and pick up one or two more tougher guys (especially if Manson is moved) to help protect the kids if teams take liberties with them.

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
This is the season to rebuild and have a team go through growing pains. With no/limited fans in the stands, it's not like the team will be losing out on much money from reduced fans. If stadiums open at half capacity, Ducks will probably still sell most/all of those tickets (assuming prices don't go up) from the die hard fans who understand the team needs to rebuild. Use the years where there can't be many fans to rebuild and have an exciting team when we can safely have full stadiums again.

Now this doesn't mean trade away all of the good players, keep the guys that are good for insulating the young guys and the ones that can teach them good habits (Getz, Henrique, Silf) and pick up one or two more tougher guys (especially if Manson is moved) to help protect the kids if teams take liberties with them.
This route will also be felt the first season fans are allowed back as the notion that they are garbage will still be there... fans won’t pay

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
This route will also be felt the first season fans are allowed back as the notion that they are garbage will still be there... fans won’t pay

I'm guessing it'll be 2 years before we can have full stadiums again and probably closer to 2.5 before people are comfortable enough to commit to it... if by the end of the second year, there's a drastic improvement (even they're entertaining but not necessarily contenders), there should be better ticket sales than the last couple of years. I agree it won't be good for a few more years still (assuming the rebuild is done by then), but the people that really follow the team will show up if there is something to cheer for and the team is fun to watch.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Fans won't pay for a mediocre team either
This is true although it depends on your definition of mediocre. They certainly aren’t going to pay more money to see a team finishing 8-10 from the bottom rather than 3-5

They might pay more to see a team in the 14-18 range though (fringe playoff team)

Bottom line, we are not a fringe playoff team the next 2 years barring a massive scoring infusion into the team from an outside source. And Zegras panning out quicker than anticipated.

I just don’t see the path to the playoffs until the 2022-2023 season at earliest. It’s gonna take time

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
The Ducks could be boasting three defensemen in the WJC this fall with Drysdale, Thrun, and LaCombe. This has me kinda cracking up. If the Ducks re-sign Manson and Lindholm to extensions, then we'll only have bottom pairing spots only available in the future with Drysdale having a top-4 role in a couple of years. What does this mean? GM Murray might have more trading chips in the future with a defensive prospect to land a forward talent again. hahahhahahah

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
The Ducks could be boasting three defensemen in the WJC this fall with Drysdale, Thrun, and LaCombe. This has me kinda cracking up. If the Ducks re-sign Manson and Lindholm to extensions, then we'll only have bottom pairing spots only available in the future with Drysdale having a top-4 role in a couple of years. What does this mean? GM Murray might have more trading chips in the future with a defensive prospect to land a forward talent again. hahahhahahah

Yes, I can't wait for keeping Manson over someone like Mahura who gets traded and becomes a 50 point defender for another team :sarcasm:

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I feel like if manson is resigned after this contract... its more as a place holder bottom pairing guy to help younger dmen come into the league... i dont think his contract will be signed under the impression hes locked into a top 4 spot for the duration of it. I really dont think he is going to age well.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Id like to see what Manson can do this year. We know he can be better. Hes had some injuries the last few years as well as getting married if I recall. Those are some life adjustments. I wanna say Getzlaf also struggled when he had to make the same adjustments. Im not ready to declare that hes already heading downhill.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Mansons issues last year were related to his decision making with the puck and poor positioning. Those aren’t caused by ageing, his foot speed and physical tools were the same as they’ve always been.

Reactions: Duck Off

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Manson' play before his injury and after his injury are two different types of players. I was quite surprised to see Manson return earlier than expected from his injury. It's possible that Manson's brain and his actions weren't on the same page, which is due to his injury. His mind might be moving the same before the injury, but his body isn't responding to mind. Manson was bad when he returned from injury. With a longer time off to fully recover as well as get back into shape (I believe Zegras denoted that Manson was one of the players he would see working out with him), it's possible we get Manson that's 100% healthy to play well again.

In baseball, pitchers who have had Tommy John Surgery, ulnar collateral ligament reconstruction, run into this problem. Sometimes, it takes a year after the pitcher is cleared to play for their actions to return to form.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Manson' play before his injury and after his injury are two different types of players. I was quite surprised to see Manson return earlier than expected from his injury. It's possible that Manson's brain and his actions weren't on the same page, which is due to his injury. His mind might be moving the same before the injury, but his body isn't responding to mind. Manson was bad when he returned from injury. With a longer time off to fully recover as well as get back into shape (I believe Zegras denoted that Manson was one of the players he would see working out with him), it's possible we get Manson that's 100% healthy to play well again.

In baseball, pitchers who have had Tommy John Surgery, ulnar collateral ligament reconstruction, run into this problem. Sometimes, it takes a year after the pitcher is cleared to play for their actions to return to form.

I don't really see a parallel to a hockey player who was making poor decisions, and a pitcher recovering from elbow surgery.

Reactions: Deuce22
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad