Confirmed with Link: Zuccarello Re-Signs (1 year/3.5 AAV)

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I think top six needs to be defined. If I had to guess, Brassard remains with Zucc, Hagelin and MSL get a new centerman and the "top" line remains in tact, as the hope is that Nash will be healthy and return to 35 goal form (and he was this team's top goal scorer), and that Kreider can have a breakout season after a nice playoffs. Call the lines 1C, 2C or 3C, it doesn't matter to me, but as of today that's how I see those lines. On the PP, honestly, I have not worked that out in my head, but think he's behind MSL and would get decent time.

Agreed.

If anything, I think its MSL who gets the shaft a bit with an inexperienced Miller as his centerman.

After a year of AV, we are really still talking about "the top 6?". The ice-time is very evenly distributed throughout the top 9 - and on some nights - the top 12 forwards.

My point earlier is I do think Zuccarello might miss out on certain offensive opportunities given Nash and MSL are better offensive players.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
Agreed.

If anything, I think its MSL who gets the shaft a bit with an inexperienced Miller as his centerman.

After a year of AV, we are really still talking about "the top 6?". The ice-time is very evenly distributed throughout the top 9 - and on some nights - the top 12 forwards.

My point earlier is I do think Zuccarello might miss out on certain offensive opportunities given Nash and MSL are better offensive players.

I think, at least to begin the season, we see much of where the team left off and staying with what worked. We'll see where that gets the team and what changes are then made, but the way he coaches won't change much, he will still want to see four lines as much as possible, and I think he will keep as much continuity from last season, meaning, keeping some players together.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
What's the risk in letting MZA prove it rather than just give it to him after one good year? 1 Million a season.

What people want
4 Years 4.5 M per year

What happened
1 Year 3.5 M per

What's likely to happen if he does well next year
4 Years 5.5 M per

Relax everyone, it's a good gamble and gives us another 1M to play with this year to win a cup

Im almost 100% sure there are no players in the NHL today that are being asked to "prove himself" more than Zucc has been told to over the years he's been here.

He had to prove he can adjust to a smaller rink
That his size isnt an issue
That he can stay injury free (He wasnt injured in the NHL this season)
That he can actually endure a full grueling season (which he did, with bravado)
And now he has to prove himself again.

Literally cannot catch a break.

He just outproduced Marty St Louis's breakout season at the same exact same age, has had elements of his game compared to Gretzky (by MSG broadcast during game replays, hi passes), and literally carried the team for stretches. AND played on the first line for a big chunk of the season.

If you're going to take a gamble on any forward, its this guy. But you're right, lets test him some more and hope he wont go full marty and score 50 points by january, making him hilariously expensive then, instead of cheap now

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Im almost 100% sure there are no players in the NHL today that are being asked to "prove himself" more than Zucc has been told to over the years he's been here.

He just outproduced Marty St Louis's breakout season at the same exact same age, has had elements of his game compared to Gretzky (by MSG broadcast during game replays, hi passes), and literally carried the team for stretches. AND played on the first line for a big chunk of the season.

If you're going to take a gamble on any forward, its this guy. But you're right, lets test him some more and hope he wont go full marty and score 50 points by january, making him hilariously expensive then, instead of cheap now

You sound like a disgruntled fanboy, which you are.

Virtually all of the NHL players that have been handed 4-5 year deals have proven it for a helluva lot more than 144 NHL games.

As for the bolded, I didn't know complete BS musings from MSG qualified as a solid point.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site

out of curiosity, what bump-up did MSL get after his breakout season? If Cap Geek is to be trusted as reliable, it looks like he went from $290k to $1MM a year later (after a 70-point campaign?). And I think that's the point trying to be made...do you give a guy with one NHL season under his belt that bit, multi-year contract? Perhaps so, but there are few precedents and perhaps there are good reasons for that.

Nyrvana

Aug 29, 2008
Bronx, NY
www.nyrvana.net
You're assuming (if he puts up another 60 point season), you can sign him for 5.5M per without another team topping it.. Though he does want to be a Ranger, so I think he might sign that, but either way its a risk

I am, and assuming a team does offer him something he can't refuse than let him walk. Same thing happened with Stralman, one man does not make a team. But you can't give a player with 144 games a 4 year contract after 1 good year. Let him do it again, then pay him going forward.

Algernop Kreider

Ant strength
Mar 9, 2014
New York
Unless of course had he thought he would not have received a bigger award.

I know Brooks speculated and all but finding comparable players who have only 144 NHL games played with a higher salary than 3.5M for their last RFA year, who also signed those deals as RFAs since the last CBA, is not an easy task.

He absolutely would have gotten a bigger award for 2 reasons:

1. He's worth more than $3.5 mil AAV
2. The arbitration method that they use is stupid; 90% of the time, the award is within 10% of the midpoint of the two proposals.

Wolfy*

I am, and assuming a team does offer him something he can't refuse than let him walk. Same thing happened with Stralman, one man does not make a team. But you can't give a player with 144 games a 4 year contract after 1 good year. Let him do it again, then pay him going forward.

Where was your opinion when everybody shouted...lock him up! lock him up!

Now if he starts this season with an average point per game we'll hear it again...

AV said he really wants him to stay. And his agents said they are working on a long term deal, but the cap issue made that difficult right now, it will come during the second half of next season.

Besides, if he did sign say 4 years and became a disappointment, no disaster for the Rangers. There's a trade option, plenty of teams desperate for a good playmaker.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
So after one season MZA has proven himself as a 5M+ player, but Brassard who has a longer and more consistent history hasn't? I'm more willing to take the risk on Brassard than MZA.

Yeah, Brassard is consistent, alright. Consistently average. He is what he is at this point. Zuccarello has improved on each stint he's had with the Rangers.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
These players are the same age. Brassard has reached his peak, but Zuccarello hasn't. Got it.

because age is the only thing that determines when a player has reached his peak. Not like Brassard has far more games at the NHL level or anything.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Yeah, Brassard is consistent, alright. Consistently average. He is what he is at this point. Zuccarello has improved on each stint he's had with the Rangers.

How is Brassard consistently average when he consistently ranks around 45th in overall center points via NHL.com which includes lots of players that aren't actually centers in that category. In reality he would be more like mid 30s.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Now that Chris Kreider and Mats Zuccarello are back in the fold with relatively cheap contracts, it’s anticipated that Sather might be getting ready to dole out some big money with the re-signing of Derrick Brassard as Larry Brooks at the New York Post reports that a long-term deal for the center iceman is likely to come with a cap hit in the neighborhood of $5.2 million to $5.6 million per season.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Brassard will face stiffer competition this year playing as the 2C, we will find out this year (providing he's not traded) if he's really able to play top 6 and be worth what he's asking.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Now that Chris Kreider and Mats Zuccarello are back in the fold with relatively cheap contracts, it’s anticipated that Sather might be getting ready to dole out some big money with the re-signing of Derrick Brassard as Larry Brooks at the New York Post reports that a long-term deal for the center iceman is likely to come with a cap hit in the neighborhood of $5.2 million to $5.6 million per season.

Truly sickening.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Brassard types always come and go in free agency. We saw Roy and Ribeiro take heavily discounted 1 yr deals.

Bah. Give him a 1 yr deal and walk away right after. Confident that Miller, Lindberg, etc will eventually surpass him.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Brassard types always come and go in free agency. We saw Roy and Ribeiro take heavily discounted 1 yr deals.

Bah. Give him a 1 yr deal and walk away right after. Confident that Miller, Lindberg, etc will eventually surpass him.

No Brassard and his 45 point spotty defensive/average ES game are irreplaceable sign him for $5.5M per for 5 years!!!

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
go to arbitration and let him be awarded around 4.5 or so and keep him for this season (or see if you can move him in a deal for an upgrade).. can't pay him 5.5 when Stepan is due a raise next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad