Confirmed with Link: Zuccarello Re-Signs (1 year/3.5 AAV)

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
Slats took a risk, it's really gonna cost him if Zucc comes up with 70-80 points next season.

He would've signed Zucc for 3 years at 4.5 if he could, very low risk. But it's a million more on the cap this year, doesn't add up.

while I agree that an extra million on this season's cap is a lot and can't be afforded, how often have we seen a 27 year old with one full NHL season under his belt get paid $4.5MM/year for 3-4 years?

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Slats took a risk, it's really gonna cost him if Zucc comes up with 70-80 points next season.

He would've signed Zucc for 3 years at 4.5 if he could, very low risk. But it's a million more on the cap this year, doesn't add up.

They have about $7M in space to sign Brassard and Moore, so it could've worked if they really wanted it to.

Again, I dont think they did.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
I think providing he's still putting up the points, he will be signed after January 1st.. This article makes me even more certain that's the plan.

http://nyrangersblog.com/2014-articles/zuccarello-rangers-are-my-club.html

As soon as news broke that the Rangers decided to sign Mats Zucarello to a one-year deal instead of a long term contract, many fans expressed their concern that the diminutive winger could leave the Blueshirts as an unrestricted free agent next season for a bigger pay day.

However, Zuccarello has always shown allegiance to the Rangers signing cap friendly deals in an attempt to keep the club competitive. And if that’s not enough for you, how about this quote after signing his new one-year, $3.5 million deal (via VG)…

“They have a cap, and then it was best to sign for one year. It makes me a free agent next year, but I am very happy to play on the Rangers. I feel it is my club and hope we have a good year.â€

Nyrvana

Aug 29, 2008
Bronx, NY
www.nyrvana.net
MZA is more likely to put up < 50 points than he is to put up > 60 points. So this deal is great. If he puts up less than 50 he'll sign cheaper. If he put up between 50 - 60 points, he'll make about the same. If he goes over 60 then he'll get paid.

I think he ends up with between 50 - 55 points this year. Give him a long term 4.5 mill contract and call it a day.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
It has to be the plan because if it weren't the plan, there's no way he doesn't go to arbitration and get a bigger 1 year contract.

Unless of course had he thought he would not have received a bigger award.

I know Brooks speculated and all but finding comparable players who have only 144 NHL games played with a higher salary than 3.5M for their last RFA year, who also signed those deals as RFAs since the last CBA, is not an easy task.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
MZA is more likely to put up < 50 points than he is to put up > 60 points. So this deal is great. If he puts up less than 50 he'll sign cheaper. If he put up between 50 - 60 points, he'll make about the same. If he goes over 60 then he'll get paid.

I think he ends up with between 50 - 55 points this year. Give him a long term 4.5 mill contract and call it a day.

LOL no, he'd get $5.5M+ on the open market if he has another year like last year.

This is not a good decision, I cannot believe so many people are defending this, AND turning around and saying we should sign Brassard to a lucrative long term deal. ****ing baffles me.

Nyrvana

Aug 29, 2008
Bronx, NY
www.nyrvana.net
LOL no, he'd get $5.5M+ on the open market if he has another year like last year.

This is not a good decision, I cannot believe so many people are defending this, AND turning around and saying we should sign Brassard to a lucrative long term deal. ****ing baffles me.

If a team wants to pay him that than fine. I don't believe he's worth that at all. Brassard is worth more to the franchise at the moment than MZA is. Our center depth is atrocious. I'd much rather see Brassard locked up long term than MZA. Obviously I'd like to have them both at about 5M-5.5M a piece for 4-6 years.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
If a team wants to pay him that than fine. I don't believe he's worth that at all. Brassard is worth more to the franchise at the moment than MZA is. Our center depth is atrocious. I'd much rather see Brassard locked up long term than MZA. Obviously I'd like to have them both at about 5M-5.5M a piece for 4-6 years.

Sorry, I just don't think that signing Brassard to an expensive long term contract because of poor center depth is a good idea. If he wants a ridiculous contract (which $5M+ per would be for him), then he should be signed to a one or two year deal, and replaced. This isn't Stepan, Brassard is an average ES player who doesn't drive play. Zuccarello was easily the better player last year. People act like we can't replace him, I don't understand that. He is not very good. He's a decent center.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Sorry, I just don't think that signing Brassard to an expensive long term contract because of poor center depth is a good idea. If he wants a ridiculous contract (which $5M+ per would be for him), then he should be signed to a one or two year deal, and replaced. This isn't Stepan, Brassard is an average ES player who doesn't drive play. Zuccarello was easily the better player last year. People act like we can't replace him, I don't understand that. He is not very good. He's a decent center.

I agree 100%, if I'm paying 5M+ for either Zucc or Brassard, it's Zucc anyday of the week, center depth horrible or not, you can't overpay for Brassard just because we have to.. Other teams are able to find replacements (whether by trade or FA), go to arbitration with him, have him for this season and then see what happens after that.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
If Nash, MSL, and Zuccarello all play right wing this season, I think he'll have a difficult time reaching 59 points again.

....and I think the Rangers know this.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
If Nash, MSL, and Zuccarello all play right wing this season, I think he'll have a difficult time reaching 59 points again.

....and I think the Rangers know this.

I don't think that's the best idea personally.. Zucc is one our best forwards he needs to get a shot at the top 6 this year. If he doesn't succceed there, then put him on the 3rd line.

Nyrvana

Aug 29, 2008
Bronx, NY
www.nyrvana.net

So after one season MZA has proven himself as a 5M+ player, but Brassard who has a longer and more consistent history hasn't? I'm more willing to take the risk on Brassard than MZA.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Zucc also would have signed for 4.5M on a long term deal per reports.. I would say Zucc at 4.5M will be worth more on a long term deal than Brassard at 5-5.5M will be.. just my opinion of course. I believe Zucc makes players around him better.

AHB*

Lol, I do not think it is more likely for him to put up less then 50 points then more then 60 if he stays healthy.

Young players like him develop and he was at 59 last year in a season that he started horribly.

He will put up over 60 this year if he plays 75+ games IMO.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I don't think that's the best idea personally.. Zucc is one our best forwards he needs to get a shot at the top 6 this year. If he doesn't succceed there, then put him on the 3rd line.

He is one of the best forwards - he's also the 3rd best RW. Thats the reality of the situation.

People can say one of these guys can play LW, but it really hasn't happened which leads me to believe it wont

Havre

Jul 24, 2011

Who are then?

Clarkson got 5.25, Pouliot 4, Clowe 4.85, Vrbata 5 etc.

Vrbata might actually be better than Zuccarello, but considering Zuccarello is likely only to get better while Vrbata won't - Vrbata won't stay better for much longer.

Next year you got a bunch of old UFAs, Krejci, Ryan and Zuccarello.

Ryan and Zuccarello at 50+ points seasons will get offers thrown after them from all over the league. Any team wanting to try to improve through UFAs basically only got two wingers with an offensive upside to choose from.

Are they "worth it"? Obviously not compared to what a player like Tavares is currently making, but I honestly can't remember the last time an UFA not being old chasing a cup playing as well as Zuccarello did last year making less than 5.5m (or something equivalent to that based on the overall cap). I'm sure there are some, but can't be many.

Personally I think NYR have made a huge mistake. The way you win cups are signing up players like Zuccarello for 3-4 years betting on them continuing to improve. Of course you can't always be right, but if you always wait and see how it develops then you will always be too late.

Can only hope he signs and extension early "giving away" 1-1.5m being happy with a 4.5-5m contract or something in January.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
He is one of the best forwards - he's also the 3rd best RW. Thats the reality of the situation.

People can say one of these guys can play LW, but it really hasn't happened which leads me to believe it wont

Surest way of losing him would be to put him on a "crappy" 3rd line (really not sure how the 3rd line will work out this year - most likely it won't be as good as last year). Why would he want to stay then?

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012

so we should put him with Miller because he's the 3rd best RW?.. I don't understand this.. he's a top 6 player on this team now and moving forward based off his season last year, he should be in the top 6, not in the bottom 6 where he won't be as good as he can be because he's the 3rd best RW on the team.

Nyrvana

Aug 29, 2008
Bronx, NY
www.nyrvana.net
What's the risk in letting MZA prove it rather than just give it to him after one good year? 1 Million a season.

What people want
4 Years 4.5 M per year

What happened
1 Year 3.5 M per

What's likely to happen if he does well next year
4 Years 5.5 M per

Relax everyone, it's a good gamble and gives us another 1M to play with this year to win a cup

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
What's the risk in letting MZA prove it rather than just give it to him after one good year? 1 Million a season.

What people want
4 Years 4.5 M per year

What happened
1 Year 3.5 M per

What's likely to happen if he does well next year
4 Years 5.5 M per

Relax everyone, it's a good gamble and gives us another 1M to play with this year to win a cup

You're assuming (if he puts up another 60 point season), you can sign him for 5.5M per without another team topping it.. Though he does want to be a Ranger, so I think he might sign that, but either way its a risk

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
so we should put him with Miller because he's the 3rd best RW?.. I don't understand this.. he's a top 6 player on this team now and moving forward based off his season last year, he should be in the top 6, not in the bottom 6 where he won't be as good as he can be because he's the 3rd best RW on the team.

And I dont understand shifting people out of position to cater to Zuccarello, especially when the ice-time of the top 9 forwards is pretty evenly distributed.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site

I think top six needs to be defined. If I had to guess, Brassard remains with Zucc, Hagelin and MSL get a new centerman and the "top" line remains in tact, as the hope is that Nash will be healthy and return to 35 goal form (and he was this team's top goal scorer), and that Kreider can have a breakout season after a nice playoffs. Call the lines 1C, 2C or 3C, it doesn't matter to me, but as of today that's how I see those lines. On the PP, honestly, I have not worked that out in my head, but think he's behind MSL and would get decent time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad