Value of: Zuccarello, Mats.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
A Zucc trade is definitely coming soon and not at the TDL
Zucc has lost a step the past year or so but I do think he’ll do better on a different team and is still good for 50 points
I’ll be happy with a 1st and a decent prospect

Reactions: haveandare

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
He's been on the block for a year. He would've been dealt at last year's deadline if Yzerman hadn't monopolized Gorton's time on deadline day. I'm sure it's been weighing on him and will feel a lift once he does finally get dealt. Hopefully for his sake, it happens sooner and doesn't wait another 3 months.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Teams that trade for Zucc can negotiate with Hayes? Interesting concept :laugh:
Cute. Read the post I quoted. The poster questioned if Hayes will return a 1st. Derp.
tenor.gif

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
He's been injured for a long stretch now. Everytime we have another player out we rush him back in the lineup and he's out again. His value is also going to depend on how healthy he is when coming back. If he tries and plays through an injury, we're not doing ourselves any favors with his value, since he'll likely look really bad.

I also think he knows he'll be traded and it's stuck in his head when he goes out on the rink each game. Last year's letter about rebuilding really got in his head, and it took up until the trade deadline for him to feel comfortable and not worry about it.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I still say it's not gonna impact his value that much. Teams will know he's worth a bit and can definitely help for a playoff run. I think a bidding war will ensue.

My only worry would be that he's not THE GUY to look at, so he'll be a fall back option to better players that get dealt, so it might limit negotiating time a little bit. Unless Gorton decides thay he wants to declare him available a bit earlier than most expect.

Markets fluctuate though from year to year, deadline to draft day, draft day to mid season, so who knows. I'd like to use the Nash trade as a basis, but stranger things have happened.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
He's been injured for a long stretch now. Everytime we have another player out we rush him back in the lineup and he's out again. His value is also going to depend on how healthy he is when coming back. If he tries and plays through an injury, we're not doing ourselves any favors with his value, since he'll likely look really bad.

I also think he knows he'll be traded and it's stuck in his head when he goes out on the rink each game. Last year's letter about rebuilding really got in his head, and it took up until the trade deadline for him to feel comfortable and not worry about it.
He already pretty much confirmed he’s being traded and knows it’ll be soon. In the article he said he’s just waiting for it to happen at this point. But I do think his disappeared aggressiveness/feistiness is part of him knowing he’s leaving, if you know you’re going to be leaving a team any day now, why play physical/aggressively for that team? Why show any heart out there when being traded is in your head? Just my opinion but it makes sense

Dijock94

Apr 1, 2016
I agree. That's why I'd be hesitant to use Nash a baseline for Zuccarello's return.

The Rangers were fortunate that the forward market thinned as it did in February. Vegas held on to Neal and Perron. Toronto kept van Riemsdyk and Bozak. Tavares stayed put. Nash went from a clear second tier option to perhaps the 2nd best forward available, depending on the view of Kane all things considered.

The top flight winger Stone, the centers Duchene and Hayes, and the defenseman Edler get priority over Zuccarello. I think GMs would prioritize Lee for his net-front work. Zuccarello is on a tier with Skinner and maybe Eberle. If I'm Gorton, I'm rooting for Ottawa and the Islanders to stay competitive. The less the supply of quality UFAs, the better for me.

Similar things were being said last year before Nash was traded. So I agree as it stands now the market is flooded but a lot can change and most likely will by the deadline.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Hope we trade him for a 1st+ at the deadline but sign him to a 3 year deal or something in the summer when he becomes UFA. So we dont really lose him but get value for him at the deadline.

Honestly can't see that happening. He loves New York and if he saw half a chance at winning the cup there he probably would, but at his age I don't think that would happen. I don't think he is the kind of guy that would spend the next 3-4 years in New York playing 82 games waiting for the team to rebuild. He is too good for that (not that I know for sure of course - he might be naive enough to think the Rangers will be competitive again within a year or two).

If he is traded to a decent play-off team and he likes it there I'm pretty sure he'll stay after the summer. Then he can spend the next couple of seasons chasing a cup.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
He’s not a good fit for the way the rangers play now. He’s kind of an east-west guy and the rangers are really north-south now. I know that’s oversimplifying things. But basically he would be much better on a team like the Penguins. And i suspect the league knows this. He’ll find a good home soon enough.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Yeah, wtf. Overrated.

I'm not sure what is overrated about the guy.....avg. 55pts the last 5 seasons and a couple of those were outside of his prime. 10pts in 17 games this season prior to injury puts him on pace to be right up around 50ish. Very good two way player, creative play maker......I'd say he is really solid. There are younger more highly touted guys who are not that.
Nobody is saying the guy is a superstar but it is not a stretch to say a 50 to 55pt winger brings a first and likely + at the TDL.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Honestly can't see that happening. He loves New York and if he saw half a chance at winning the cup there he probably would, but at his age I don't think that would happen. I don't think he is the kind of guy that would spend the next 3-4 years in New York playing 82 games waiting for the team to rebuild. He is too good for that (not that I know for sure of course - he might be naive enough to think the Rangers will be competitive again within a year or two).

If he is traded to a decent play-off team and he likes it there I'm pretty sure he'll stay after the summer. Then he can spend the next couple of seasons chasing a cup.

Rangers fans love the guy.......but they would have no business re signing a 31yr old player to anything more than a 1yr deal during a re build. It just isn't good business and sentimental moves don't make sense for this team. They need to get assets for him, that is the correct and responsible play. Hayes on the other hand might make more sense for them to do that.

Sdevils42

Nov 30, 2016
A 1st?!?! I don't think he's necessarily overrated but he's much more valuable to the Rangers than any other team (fan favorite, homegrown etc). I tend to think Rangers fans in general overrate their players more than any other fan base but that may be because I'm in Rangers country. He's scored over 20 goals once and averaged around 58 points since he became a regular in 13-14. Don't think that qualifies for a 1st round return, 2nd rd + is a def possibility.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Zuccarello is so much more than just a points scorer. He is disciplined, hard working and very intelligent on the ice. Lines he play on tend to "click".

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Rangers fans love the guy.......but they would have no business re signing a 31yr old player to anything more than a 1yr deal during a re build. It just isn't good business and sentimental moves don't make sense for this team. They need to get assets for him, that is the correct and responsible play. Hayes on the other hand might make more sense for them to do that.

Sure. He has no value other than being a solid professional younger players could learn from.

I don't see why the Rangers wouldn't try to sign him in the summer, but at that point other teams should be more attractive for Zuccarello. And he is hardly getting a Ehrhoff-style contract by the Rangers due to his age so...

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
Zuccarello is so much more than just a points scorer. He is disciplined, hard working and very intelligent on the ice. Lines he play on tend to "click".
The Nash trade return comparison continues to be brought up. I know we overpaid to acquire Nash, but we were getting a veteran leader, 2-way player that could kill penalties and put up goals (long ago). Does Zuccarell do any of that? I haven't watched the Rangers much the last few seasons, but he wasn't a guy that stood out to me.

If the cost is a first, player and prospect, there are a few other Rangers players I'd rather get

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Sure. He has no value other than being a solid professional younger players could learn from.

I don't see why the Rangers wouldn't try to sign him in the summer, but at that point other teams should be more attractive for Zuccarello. And he is hardly getting a Ehrhoff-style contract by the Rangers due to his age so...

I didn't say he has "no value other than being a solid professional younger players could learn from". He is a good solid player. I think he would be a very good role model for younger players but I feel they have that in Kreider already. That said, I don't see a reason to tie up 4 to 5 million in cap hit for 2 or 3yrs on a rebuilding team that takes a roster spot away from a younger, cost controlled player to learn and develop. Maybe they move him and bring him back but I don;t think it would be for anything more than a 1yr deal.

The Rangers won't be serious contenders for a few years, they can afford to make moves the sell older players off for younger assets.....it is the very nature of rebuilding.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad