Injury Report: Zuccarello Fractured Hand (Update: 2/21: Will miss 2 weeks of NHL games)

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Okay, serious talk. Calm FS.

Didn't realize before my freakout that a non displaced blah blah isn't as bad.

If its 3 weeks, though.. thats still 2 weeks worth of games.

MortUWary

Registered Loser
Jul 19, 2007
Dorsett will be returning from his broken leg when the Rangers resume play. 3 weeks. He will miss 6 games. The Rangers host the Wings on the March 9 which is three weeks from the injury. That would be game #6. 3 games before the deadline.

Still can't believe the trade deadline is only 2 weeks from today.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I don't know, Sather I don't remember Sather making any "panic" moves. If anything he's slow and deliberate. I'm not a fan of him, but he doesn't seem like the type to make a knee-jerk reaction to Zuccarello's injury.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yeah. That's not franchise changing

People are talking about Sather panicking, caving and handing Callahan some enormous deal that ends up biting us in the ass in a year or two. That would be potentially franchise-altering. Though really, trading him alters the franchise even more.

NYRSchrute217

Oct 28, 2008
Yeah. That's not franchise changing

How is giving Callahan a long term contract then having him fall apart in a couple of years, rather than potentially getting young assets that can help us for years, not franchise changing?

NYRSchrute217

Oct 28, 2008
I don't know, Sather I don't remember Sather making any "panic" moves. If anything he's slow and deliberate. I'm not a fan of him, but he doesn't seem like the type to make a knee-jerk reaction to Zuccarello's injury.

One could argue he panicked and gave Lundqvist a long term contract to save this season. Just playing devil's advocate here.

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
How is giving Callahan a long term contract then having him fall apart in a couple of years, rather than potentially getting young assets that can help us for years, not franchise changing?

So, it's franchise changing because Callahan could MAYBE fall apart and a young asset MAY help us more?

I guess we have a different definition of franchise changing

NYRSchrute217

Oct 28, 2008
So, it's franchise changing because Callahan could MAYBE fall apart and a young asset MAY help us more?

I guess we have a different definition of franchise changing

With a piece as big as Callahan, with as big of a return as he could get, the decision is franchise altering one way or another. It's pretty simple.

Glennsoe

Horndog
Jan 7, 2011
Brooks says 7-10 days..

Unsure if that's 7-10 days from today or actual NHL time though...

magnkarl

Jan 26, 2014
Pickled Herring etc.
I've had a fracture like this before, it was completely healed in about a week - was a bit sore for about two weeks but I could play hockey with a reinforced glove after about a week. I don't know how good Zucc would be with a cast in his glove tho, they're a bit of a pain to work your stick with.

In any case it should heal rather quickly, it's nothing severe.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I've had a fracture like this before, it was completely healed in about a week - was a bit sore for about two weeks but I could play hockey with a reinforced glove after about a week. I don't know how good Zucc would be with a cast in his glove tho, they're a bit of a pain to work your stick with.

In any case it should heal rather quickly, it's nothing severe.

so we're looking at 3 weeks the most then. Not too concerning

magnkarl

Jan 26, 2014
Pickled Herring etc.
so we're looking at 3 weeks the most then. Not too concerning

Nah, if the info coming out is right then he might even be ready in a week. It's already what - 4 days since the game? Add another week to that and he'll be close to returning if the injury is anything like mine. The hand is full of really small bones and usually they are fractured in a stable way like a toe, it'll be painful but as long as it's not an unstable fracture (bones moving apart/sliding on top of each other), I think he might even make the first game back. It might be a bit risky tho, if he gets that hand jarred with the bone fractured he might displace the bones - and then we're looking at 6-8 weeks.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
That's bad news, but not terrible. They may need a prospect to step in on RW next year, so it could be a good time to see what one of them can do for a few games.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Let's see who gets a look from the minors.

Maybe Dorsett gets back in and fills the minutes, but it would be a great opportunity to give a scoring role to a kid from HFD.

One of Miller, Fast, or perhaps even Kristo for a look on the PP.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
*sigh*

That's a big loss for the team moving forward. Big loss for the playoff push. But it is what it is. Hopefully he isn't out for more than 4-6 weeks.

Doctor King Schultz

Garian Maborik
May 3, 2012
NYC
While I am happy for Zucc that he was able to represent his country in the Olympics, his injury sucks even more because (a) Norway never really had a chance at medal contention and (b) Zucc didn't even register one point in the 3 games he played.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad