Value of: Zuccarello at the draft

MarkMessyay11

Jan 12, 2015
NJ
I guess this will be the next hotly debated topic for the next 3 months coming out of Rangerland...over/under on how many Zucc threads until the draft - 30?

My guess is that he does get moved and Gorton will point at the Nash return as a baseline, in terms of value. So 1st & B/B+ prospect, at minimum. They're also in a position to take a cap dump, if necessary, to up the return value...I'm sure they'll explore that route.

I know draft picks are a hot commodity on HFB, but it wouldn't surprise me to see the Rangers ask for a top prospect instead of a 1st rounder. Gorton has mentioned bringing in youth that's closer to contributing over draft picks a number of times now.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
I wanna see him on Drai or Mcjesus’ wing. Zuccarello is an elite playmaker who never has played on a line where he isnt the best player.Think he can absolutely dominate with an elite center who can finish. Damn good defensively aswell and is among the top players in takeaways every season.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
He and Vladislav Namestnikov had clicking chemistry without training sessions in Vancouver game - it was fun to watch two highly skilled guys with a good pace and speed.
Can`t we enjoy rest of the season until we discuss him at draft window, because no journalist asked him yet - if he was interested to stay for a rebuild in New York. He has no NMC on his contract which go out 2019-20, but if he asked to be part of it he might stay with Rangers, or if Gorton want youth for him and picks and I`m fine with that too.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
I wanna see him on Drai or Mcjesus’ wing. Zuccarello is an elite playmaker who never has played on a line where he isnt the best player.Think he can absolutely dominate with an elite center who can finish. Damn good defensively aswell and is among the top players in takeaways every season.
He's the Ranger I wanted since early this year for this very reason. Oh well.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
He will have less value at the draft than he did this deadline, so I''m not interested in moving him for a 2nd rounder or something. I'm done selling players. We got 3 firsts and some prospects. If we hit this draft we will be fine. We aren't Arizona. We aren't Buffalo. Not going to roll out a squad of 23 yearolds and get embarassed every night. Identify some players to keep and work in the prospects around them. Re-sign Zucc.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Zuc does not require overpay, massive or otherwise, but has legit value, and will command a decent return, not something subpar.

As to deals w/non playoff teams, which I took to mean was direct w/out players passing through waivers, I don't know --- I have no prob with a deal w/any one now, and EDM's $ --- assuming it is sufficient --- is as good as anyone else's.

I posted this in another thread re Oil ditching Lucic nothing retained. Got a whopping 2 no from Oil fans, who did not identify realistic payment for taking on Lucic's 6 x 6 albatross, particularly given he could turn into Drury 2.0. Nor did they acknowledge Zuc, but they ignored Andersson + ADA +. It is pertinent here, because it fits thread title Zuc to Oil. Another package, similar or less complex, is also possible, but let's see where we stand on this one.

for Lucic zero retention, IMO this is what it would take

Lucic 6m x 6 + Puljujarvi + .925 x 2 + 2018 + 2019 1sts, both unprotected
for
Smith 4.35 x 4 + Zuc 4.5 expiring + Andersson .925 x 3 + DeAngelo 863,333 x 2
rough cap dif is approx 10.5+ from NY to 6.9 so NY will take an acceptable body or 2 to balance cap

EDM
- loses the worst deadweight, without retention
- gets Zuc for now, first dibs to extend, speed + top 6 either W as needed
- solid F chip to pivot 2nd line [3rd if Drai is C] = improves depth makes easier to move RNH for other stuff, and he is ready now, good value vs a draft selection coming on board later; just beginning elcs
- RD w/talent who has progressed once here, another build chip
- LD Smith is albatross, but showed last yr in POs he could play well, then showed up fat and out of shape. Conceivable he could return to form, which is not possible w/Lucic, who has too much wear and tear

NYR
- 2 shots 2 good drafts, although w/this trade 2019 EDM should not be lottery pick
- Pulj hopefully = top 6 W.
- hope that MAYBE - a risk no guarantees - Lucic can be amnesty buyout IF that is made available next CBA

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Want nothing to do with Ryan Strome.

He hasn't shown anything in 3 years now that would give me an idea that he'll ever get back to that 50 point level.

Chiarelli is most likely stuck with his mistake.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Zuc does not require overpay, massive or otherwise, but has legit value, and will command a decent return, not something subpar.

As to deals w/non playoff teams, which I took to mean was direct w/out players passing through waivers, I don't know --- I have no prob with a deal w/any one now, and EDM's $ --- assuming it is sufficient --- is as good as anyone else's.

I posted this in another thread re Oil ditching Lucic nothing retained. Got a whopping 2 no from Oil fans, who did not identify realistic payment for taking on Lucic's 6 x 6 albatross, particularly given he could turn into Drury 2.0. Nor did they acknowledge Zuc, but they ignored Andersson + ADA +. It is pertinent here, because it fits thread title Zuc to Oil. Another package, similar or less complex, is also possible, but let's see where we stand on this one.

for
rough cap dif is approx 10.5+ from NY to 6.9 so NY will take an acceptable body or 2 to balance cap

EDM
- solid F chip to pivot 2nd line [3rd if Drai is C] = improves depth makes easier to move RNH for other stuff, and he is ready now, good value vs a draft selection coming on board later; just beginning elcs
- LD Smith is albatross, but showed last yr in POs he could play well, then showed up fat and out of shape. Conceivable he could return to form, which is not possible w/Lucic, who has too much wear and tear

NYR
- 2 shots 2 good drafts, although w/this trade 2019 EDM should not be lottery pick
- hope that MAYBE - a risk no guarantees - Lucic can be amnesty buyout IF that is made available next CBA

Edmonton isn't dealing their 2018 and 2019 first round picks.

You're involving way too many pieces for no reason again.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
HFboards will bring up repeatedly that he only has 1 more season left on his contract before he becomes a UFA.

There is a strange phenomenon here at HFBoards where a pending UFA is automatically assumed gone via free agency. Also weird that the minute he leaves Team X, fans of said team can suddenly remember every single flaw about that player.

But back to the original point, I'm guessing the "Brassard" return is the max he gets, likely less given Brassard's available for two playoff runs and I believe retained 50%, which I'm assuming the Rangers will do for Zuccarello as well.

I'll throw out a late 1st from a contending team and a "B" level prospect for Zuccarello at 50%.
It’s almost as if he has 1 year left on his contract he has negative value.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

for

EDM

NYR
Losing Andersson to get a pick that will be a year or two behind him and another fresh gamble while he's already started to prove himself is a bad idea imo.

Reactions: Rangers_23

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
IMO no need to move Zucc unless it's a really good deal, like 1st + good prospect. I assume nobody is going to want to pay that since seemingly nobody wanted to pay that at the deadline.

I don't want to put out a team without any leaders or experience anyway. If he'll take a reasonable deal I'd resign him without issue.

Reactions: Monument

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
IMO no need to move Zucc unless it's a really good deal, like 1st + good prospect. I assume nobody is going to want to pay that since seemingly nobody wanted to pay that at the deadline.

I don't want to put out a team without any leaders or experience anyway. If he'll take a reasonable deal I'd resign him without issue.

He's honestly the best choice for the next captain of the team.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Zuccs is not elite....but he is better than:

Nash who got a 1st+

Tatar who got a 1st+

With a full season left on his contract, Zuccs will get at the very minimum a 1st, a very good prospect and a younger player.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

Nash who got a 1st+

Tatar who got a 1st+

With a full season left on his contract, Zuccs will get at the very minimum a 1st, a very good prospect and a younger player.
Imo, if he could have retuned that they would have moved him for that at the deadline.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Imo, if he could have retuned that they would have moved him for that at the deadline.

I do not think they had any intentions of moving him.

I know that they are under a massive reconstruction, but guys like Zuccs are very instrumental in helping kids from over seas acclimate to life in the states.

I personally think he is named as the team's next captain come October.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I do not think they had any intentions of moving him.

I know that they are under a massive reconstruction, but guys like Zuccs are very instrumental in helping kids from over seas acclimate to life in the states.

I personally think he is named as the team's next captain come October.
I'll try to find it, thought it was in a recent Brooks article that they had a semi reasonable price for him but nobody met it.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I'll try to find it, thought it was in a recent Brooks article that they had a semi reasonable price for him but nobody met it.

I really can't fathom that his price tag would be less than Nash seeing has how Zuccs has not only been the better player, but more dependable player as well.

Adding to that is that Zuccs has an additional year left on his contract at a very VERY reasonable hit of 4.5

Something tells me that Brooks may not have the full story on this player.

But what we do not and will probably never know is how many deals were discussed that didn't happen.

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
I would not deal Zuke until I see how the team is doing at next year's trade deadline. You need vets the develop young players otherwise you'll end up like the stupid Oilers

Reactions: NewYorkNick

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Nash who got a 1st+

Tatar who got a 1st+

????

we are talking about Zuccs who has scored 20+ goals once in his career right?

Tatar has done it 3 times so far and this year should make it 4 and since 2012/13 season Nash has had 20+ in 5 out of 6 season

last 5 season goals scored for zucc is
19-15-26-15-10

Of Nash, Tatar and Zuch--Zuch has the fewest goals and at the end of the day--it is the guys who score goals the guy you pay to get--Unless you are suggesting Zuch is a modern day Adam Oates or something

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
????

Tatar has done it 3 times so far and this year should make it 4 and since 2012/13 season Nash has had 20+ in 5 out of 6 season

19-15-26-15-10

Of Nash, Tatar and Zuch--Zuch has the fewest goals and at the end of the day--it is the guys who score goals the guy you pay to get--Unless you are suggesting Zuch is a modern day Adam Oates or something
Zuccarello is a playmaker, not a goal scorer, so I don't know why you're using goals as a measurement.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
????

19-15-26-15-10

Zuc doesn't score goals. If your bringing him in to do that you're going to be disappointed. Hes a consistent 50-60 point player due to his playmaking abilities

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
There is a strange phenomenon here at HFBoards where a pending UFA is automatically assumed gone via free agency. Also weird that the minute he leaves Team X, fans of said team can suddenly remember every single flaw about that player.

Let's not forget the other rules of HFBoards:
1: Players who approach UFA will always seek to return "HOME" even though they may have been living in their existing NHL city for years.
2: Teams will always seek to collect sets of brothers. Brothers who in most cases have never played on the same team ever.
3: Teams will always try to reunite linemates from years back. So if Player A and Player B grew up in the same town and played on the same team, they are a natural match and must be reunited. This makes about as much sense as moving out of your house and moving your family across the country because the house next door to the kid you used to build snow forts with is up for sale and you can't pass up the chance to bring the magic back this winter.
4: If the player is any good, his team fully expects him to sign a sweet deal at a hometown discount. Even if its not his actual hometown from rule #1.
5. Draft picks are always worth more than prospects.
6. Prospects are always worth more than actual players.
7. 5 and 6 are true unless they are traded. Then whatever you got is worth way more unless your GM is named Chiarelli or Benning, in which case all of HFBoards will attack ridiculing the deal.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I like Zucc a lot, but he's closer to prime Martin Erat than prime Martin St. Louis in terms of his ranking as a playmaker from the wing.

But Nashville got Forsberg for Erat at age 31 so I guess we have reason to be optimistic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad