Zub 5.8 for 4 years. Do you do it?

Do you do it?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
6.7 was too pricy for most which is understandable.

I know some people were saying they would do 4.5 or 5 mill for Zub but at those prices he is a no brainer. (Hopefully we get them)

So Zub at 5.8 per for 4 years or he's gone.

What do you do?

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Yep a million to high. Just keep posting I guess until you get your winner.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
$5M for 5 years is the max cap / term I would offer, with Norris, Stu, et. al. needing to get paid as well.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Yep a million to high. Just keep posting I guess until you get your winner.

Zub at 4.8 is a no brainer to me. Isn't that what Methot got in lower cap era? Zub is much better than Methot.

So yes while I'd like Zub at near 4.8 that is basically the minimum he should get if his agent is any good.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
I’d probably do it with the state of our RD but it’s too high. I don’t see Zub getting more than 5 mil.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I'm going to say no but that is no THIS off season. We don't need to sign Zub this off season. He is signed next year.

Before signing Zub, I'd want to know
1. Where's Sanderson at
2. How does JBD look in a defensive D role
3. What does Thomson look like
4. What does Brannstrom look like with another year under his belt.

If I don't like the answers to those questions, then I'd be trying to sign Zub before the deadline

If I do like the answers to those questions, then I'm assessing if I am a buyer or a seller at the trade deadline. If I am a buyer, then I keep Zub for a playoff run and trade his rights. We'd ultimately lose Zub for little, but the asset mgmt really lies in the answers to those four questions. If I'm a seller, I move Zub at the TDL.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
with salaries rising, top 4 dmen like him gonna get PAID. I said yes cuz we know what he is and what he brings and I dont trust Dorion to be able to properly replace him with someone on a better contract.

Reactions: DrEasy

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
50-50 for me at that price. I really want him signed, the price point is a little uncomfortable on the term.

I only voted because OP forced a vote to see the results.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Absolutely. That is a fair deal for both sides. We get his prime years and he gets about $300-500k more than what he might be worth for a shorter deal. Let's him cash out again at 30.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
At some point, we have to be able to sign players at market value (Batherson's a miracle)

TJ Brodie signed 4 years x 5.0 AAV at 30 y/o
Dmitry Orlov signed 6 years x 5.1 AAV at 26 y/o
Christopher Tanev signed 5 years x 4.45 AAV at 26 y/o, then 4 years x 4.50 AAV at 31 y/o
Calvin De Haan signed 4 years x 4.55 AAV at 27 y/o
Jamie Oleksiak signed 5 years x 4.60 AAV at 28 y/o
Josh Manson signed 4 years x 4.1 AAV at 26 y/o
Brian Dumoulin signed 6 years x 4.1 AAV at 26 y/o
Adam Larsson signed 4 years x 4.0 AAV at 29 y/o
Matthias Ehkolm signed 6 years x 3.75 AAV at 26 y/o
Alexandre Edler signed 6 years x 5.0 AAV at 27 y/o

We could go on and on but there's no reason to give Zub more than 5.0 AAV

If you look at the guys making around 6.7 (like in previous thread), it's more guys like Provorov, Krug, Giordano, McDonagh, Seabrook, Faulk, Fowler...

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Anything under 5 for any length is a yes from me. Especially if it's under 4 years

Emerica

May 29, 2010
Give him that Zaitsev type money. 4.5-5 for 4 years. Should easily have the money to do so when you give him Tierney+Gambrell's money.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
At some point, we have to be able to sign players at market value (Batherson's a miracle)

TJ Brodie signed 4 years x 5.0 AAV at 30 y/o
Dmitry Orlov signed 6 years x 5.1 AAV at 26 y/o
Christopher Tanev signed 5 years x 4.45 AAV at 26 y/o, then 4 years x 4.50 AAV at 31 y/o
Calvin De Haan signed 4 years x 4.55 AAV at 27 y/o
Jamie Oleksiak signed 5 years x 4.60 AAV at 28 y/o
Josh Manson signed 4 years x 4.1 AAV at 26 y/o
Brian Dumoulin signed 6 years x 4.1 AAV at 26 y/o
Adam Larsson signed 4 years x 4.0 AAV at 29 y/o
Matthias Ehkolm signed 6 years x 3.75 AAV at 26 y/o
Alexandre Edler signed 6 years x 5.0 AAV at 27 y/o

We could go on and on but there's no reason to give Zub more than 5.0 AAV

If you look at the guys making around 6.7 (like in previous thread), it's more guys like Provorov, Krug, Giordano, McDonagh, Seabrook, Faulk, Fowler...
I get the gist of your post, but Zub is better then every defender there except maybe Tanev and Ekholm. I think the biggest variable is also we literally don't have any defensive RD near Zub's level that can step in to replace him. That kinda makes him more valuable and worth more, especially when we factor in higher salaries. I think $5.5 for 4+ years is market value based off that

Reactions: DrEasy

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
50/50. Would like cheaper.

For the right price, I don't think we need to worry about the cap crunch since he would still be an easily movable asset.

The wrong price plus any regression and we could be handcuffed.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Had to say yes. We cannot go backwards and our defensive depth is really an unknown at this point with Lass and JBD in the minors.

Expect we can get him for a fair bit less with term but even if we signed him to $5.7 I am confident we could move him if our young guys prove capable. It's cliché but he is a good asset so you need to really manage him well.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
if that is what zub wants then i personally wait until a Norris, Formenton and Jimmy (if he is willing to sign early) are done and see where we are budget wise. If we are going to cave and go higher on dollars for Zub we need a deal (team wise) with the other three otherwise it might get too tight cap wise

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
if that is what zub wants then i personally wait until a Norris, Formenton and Jimmy (if he is willing to sign early) are done and see where we are budget wise. If we are going to cave and go higher on dollars for Zub we need a deal (team wise) with the other three otherwise it might get too tight cap wise

Zub is more valuable than Formenton though, and arguably more valuable than Norris as well from a team build perspective.

We can run

Stutzle
Pinto
Greig

Without Norris

And that's not that bad, but take out Zub and we have a much more massive hole imo.

• Haha
Reactions: Adele Dazeem

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Zub is more valuable than Formenton though, and arguably more valuable than Norris as well from a team build perspective.

We can run

Stutzle
Pinto
Greig

Without Norris

And that's not that bad, but take out Zub and we have a much more massive hole imo.

Zub is more valuable then Formenton and with Norris its debatable

That being said any internal replacements are at least two years away. Additionally outside of maybe Formenton the rest are considered core pieces so we need another team friendly deal somewhere.

Like the deal with Batherson made the Tkachuk contract easier to handle from the get go. Tkachuk has proven to be worth the deal with the season that he has had this year. The point being though by having a good extension lined up somewhere it allows us to gamble on another extension if needed (say Zub at 5.8 for 4 years)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad