Zito Rating Thread

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Last summer, A+

this summer, B-ish?

Reinhart trade was very nice but doesn't really solve anything except make an already top loaded front 9 more loaded. Main issue was the defense and they traded the 2nd best dman in the playoffs last year and had to include multiple high picks, then used the space to sign Montour who has done nothing in his career and was invisible in the playoffs. Thornton move is risk free but doesn't make a lot of sense to me, huge issues and adding another forward? Buying out Yandle, who is complete shit, doesn't do much for me since everyone from outer space can see that. I'm probably going to get dumped on as everyone is in the honeymoon phase but yeah.

I don’t understand the Reinhart point.

Reinhart gives you a legit consistent 1st line Rw which your team lacked.
Duclair and Tippett are nice and can be nice but so far they have never been consistent.

That’s been Bostons biggest issue during Sweeney’s era and cost them likely a Cup.

You have now proven premiun talent at every position at F, incredible valuable

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
The negative comments are very interesting. Not because they have real substance, but because they’re so … negative. Like the Yandle thing; getting rid of Yandle alone improved our defense substantially. It’s only good at this point. But anyway. Fascinating.
The same folks that complained about Yandle all last few seasons are now complaining about buying him out!

Can't satisfy some people.

Egblad

Patiently Waiting
May 20, 2006
Florida
The negative comments are very interesting. Not because they have real substance, but because they’re so … negative. Like the Yandle thing; getting rid of Yandle alone improved our defense substantially. It’s only good at this point. But anyway. Fascinating.
Yeah, it's a really strange take, but whatever.

Clint

Jul 14, 2003
I did not complain about Yandle....

My negative rating is how we got rid of him. I would have preferred a different way, but maybe that was not possible.

I think we all would have preferred he went out a different way, but like you said this was the only alternative to keeping him on the roster. If there's no other alternative, I see it as a positive that Zito bit the bullet and made the tough move in buying him out as opposed to continuing to pay him for substandard play.

Reactions: pantherbot

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Of course not all of his deals are great/perfect. But one thing is clear: no other GM has done so many good things in such a short amount of time.

His risk/reward and cost assessment are the best we have ever experienced. Nothing is giftwrapped for the players, they have to earn their contracts. The only gamble he has taken so far is Thornton - and that does not hurt us if it doesn't pan out.

Get us the top-4 Dman at the trade deadline without giving up too much and sign Barky this offseason without overpaying, and it will be a clear cut grade A performance so far.

Reactions: Clint

MillarWithASave

#CatsAreComing
Dec 12, 2011
Melbourne, FL
(A) rating things he's done :
Hornqvist for Matheson
Sam Reinhart deal and signing
Yandle buyout
Verhaeghe signing
Bennett trade
Forsling pick-up and contract
Mamim signing (?)
Duclair signing

(B-C) rating things he's done :
Duclair re-sign
Verhaeghe re-sign
Nuutivara trade
Montour trade
Joe Thornton signing
Connolly trade

(D) rating things he's done :
Bennett resigning (price)
Montour resigning (price)
2021 draft

(F) rating things he's done :
Stralman trade

Overall, I'd give him an A- so far. He's really made some fantastic changes and some great trades. He's done a few questionable things this off-season, but no GM is perfect.

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
(A) rating things he's done :
Hornqvist for Matheson
Sam Reinhart deal and signing
Yandle buyout
Verhaeghe signing
Bennett trade
Forsling pick-up and contract
Mamim signing (?)
Duclair signing

(B-C) rating things he's done :
Duclair re-sign
Verhaeghe re-sign
Nuutivara trade
Montour trade
Joe Thornton signing
Connolly trade

(D) rating things he's done :
Bennett resigning (price)
Montour resigning (price)
2021 draft

(F) rating things he's done :
Stralman trade

Overall, I'd give him an A- so far. He's really made some fantastic changes and some great trades. He's done a few questionable things this off-season, but no GM is perfect.

Reinhart deal/signing doesn't happen unless the Stralman trade takes place.
Bennett and Montour's prices are very fair considering what other players received in FA.

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
Last summer, A+

this summer, B-ish?

Reinhart trade was very nice but doesn't really solve anything except make an already top loaded front 9 more loaded. Main issue was the defense and they traded the 2nd best dman in the playoffs last year and had to include multiple high picks, then used the space to sign Montour who has done nothing in his career and was invisible in the playoffs. Thornton move is risk free but doesn't make a lot of sense to me, huge issues and adding another forward? Buying out Yandle, who is complete shit, doesn't do much for me since everyone from outer space can see that. I'm probably going to get dumped on as everyone is in the honeymoon phase but yeah.
You can share your opinion without trying to gaslight everyone on the board who is happy with his moves this summer, LOL.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
You can share your opinion without trying to gaslight everyone on the board who is happy with his moves this summer, LOL.
Sometimes people just want to say something outrageous so they’ll make the headlines.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
I give Zito an A+. He has done more in two offseasons than any other GM has done in our history, considering he has been handcuffed with some contracts. But to take away from that, he does have full support of ownership. Tallon did at times, but its really hands off now with Zito. This is his team, his moves, his ideas and reasoning behind the moves. We never were able to really say that any time since 93. Imagine Zito being here when we acquired Bure, and he was given the same leeway he has now???

BTW...lets get those votes up for the Panthers in the Polls sub-forum.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
A- for now.

Got rid of Tallons dead weight deals outside of the Titantic Bob deal.
Brought in a mix of highly paid guys and lower paid guys to improve the roster, while not handing out long deals.

Handled the expansion draft like a competent GM.
Acquired Reinhart and extended him for a great price in both assets given up and cap hit.

Nitpicky, only deals I didn't care for right now was the Montour extension and the Duclair one. Vergy's deal is close to the same boat but at least it seemed Q liked him.

When/if he gets Barkov re-signed long term then the - may disappear.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
My specific question, no snark, is to those who say the Duke and Montour deals are bad, why is that? Is is just that people think Duke isn’t enough of a difference maker, and Montour is too mistake prone?

Duke I think will pay off because he’s got decent hands and was a bit snakebitten this year. Montour was great in Anaheim and still has gas left in the tank and offensive creativity to be a positive. So I think they’re decent deals.

Reactions: BabyBennettov

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
My specific question, no snark, is to those who say the Duke and Montour deals are bad, why is that? Is is just that people think Duke isn’t enough of a difference maker, and Montour is too mistake prone?

Duke I think will pay off because he’s got decent hands and was a bit snakebitten this year. Montour was great in Anaheim and still has gas left in the tank and offensive creativity to be a positive. So I think they’re decent deals.
Montour is bad. Has had a horrible career and got a 2nd pair defense contract for like 8 good regular season games (was a no show in the playoffs).

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
Montour is bad. Has had a horrible career and got a 2nd pair defense contract for like 8 good regular season games (was a no show in the playoffs).

well, you can't be taken seriously with a response like that.

something like .37 ppg or a 30 point Dman over 7 years who's a plus overall during his career.

now, i think montour is just not very good defensively based on what we've seen. maybe even bad. i mean, he's made some really bad decisions, both with and without (moreso without) the puck. but for offensive D, that's not unusual.

that doesn't change the fact that he's had a decent career and got what is probably a reasonable contract. i would've preferred someone else but he was the best option available.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
well, you can't be taken seriously with a response like that.

something like .37 ppg or a 30 point Dman over 7 years who's a plus overall during his career.

now, i think montour is just not very good defensively based on what we've seen. maybe even bad. i mean, he's made some really bad decisions, both with and without (moreso without) the puck. but for offensive D, that's not unusual.

that doesn't change the fact that he's had a decent career and got what is probably a reasonable contract. i would've preferred someone else but he was the best option available.
Hes not good. You are noting his points, Yandle put up points, so did MM. Neither was good. Montour has a large body of work suggesting hes not good, think I would go with that and let another team prove me wrong.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Obviously Stralman was moved for Reinharts deal, what I would have done:
- let Montour walk
- not trade Stralman
- not sign Thornton
- trade Vatrano for a pick

The above would have allowed Florida to keep a 2nd and a recent high pick, grab a pick for Vatrano and leave room for Deni, and Reinharts deal, and imo leaves the on ice team no worse off.

I think Zito either really likes Montour or really wanted Stralman gone (probably the former)

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Obviously Stralman was moved for Reinharts deal, what I would have done:
- let Montour walk
- not trade Stralman
- not sign Thornton
- trade Vatrano for a pick

The above would have allowed Florida to keep a 2nd and a recent high pick, grab a pick for Vatrano and leave room for Deni, and Reinharts deal, and imo leaves the on ice team no worse off.

I think Zito either really likes Montour or really wanted Stralman gone (probably the former)
I believe that is the main point, since Q wants everybody involved in the attack. Montour suits this style better than Stralman, and they take his defensive shortcomings into account.

Reactions: zeroG

SufferingCatFan

Apr 6, 2008
fort lauderdale
Please name one novice GM in the last 20 years in the NHL who did a better job than Zito his first year?

I recommend that his detractors compare our roster at the end of the 2019-20 season that Zito inherited from Dale to our roster today. Missing on D are Yandle, Matheson, Stralman, Pysyk, Brown and Stillman. Missing on O are Hoffman, Dadonov, Connolly, Boyle, Scevior, Tonninato, Hunt etc. Essentially, Zito kept Barkov, Hubie, Vatrano, and Acciari on O and Ekblad and Weegar on D plus Bob in goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad