Zito Rating Thread

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Quite simple. Put your rating of Zito so far and then list his moves of why you put that rating. I guess you can classify moves as either Excellent, Good, meh, or bad. So an example would be like buying out Keith Yandle was good and not excellent due to the cap hit we still pay him and signing Joe Thornton was meh.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Last summer, A+

this summer, B-ish?

Reinhart trade was very nice but doesn't really solve anything except make an already top loaded front 9 more loaded. Main issue was the defense and they traded the 2nd best dman in the playoffs last year and had to include multiple high picks, then used the space to sign Montour who has done nothing in his career and was invisible in the playoffs. Thornton move is risk free but doesn't make a lot of sense to me, huge issues and adding another forward? Buying out Yandle, who is complete shit, doesn't do much for me since everyone from outer space can see that. I'm probably going to get dumped on as everyone is in the honeymoon phase but yeah.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
10/10

In two offseasons he did the impossible by getting rid of matheson, and brought in horn in the process which was big for our culture and he produced. He got rid of Connolly without taking any salary back. Had the balls to buy out Yandle and be done with it. Got rid of Stralman and his caphit. Cleaning house. Not afraid to part with prospects and picks. Brought in Verhaeghe on a great deal, Duclair on a dirt cheap deal, Bennett, acquired Sam reinhart, Montour, claimed Forsling off waivers, brought in Gudas for toughness. We’ll see how the contracts end up in a couple years but he hasn’t made a move I’ve been upset with, has aggressively and smartly made us better, not putsing around, re-signed his acquisitions to (imo) good value deals. And continuing to clear out that cap space mess from Tallon.

Reactions: PSLguy

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
I rate him barkov.

Dude isn't just a talent evaluator, he's considering the team chemistry, culture, fit, the cap, development, everything. Couldn't be happier with him as our GM right now.

Those worried about the defense... There were no good options at a reasonable value. Defensemen got PAID this off-season. We're also a bit tight on cap space for a good top 4 dman, but wait till the deadline and cap isn't a problem. Plus by then we'll know better what we need.

At the start of the season you only need a team good enough to make the playoffs. Address your other needs along the way.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
I rate him barkov.

Dude isn't just a talent evaluator, he's considering the team chemistry, culture, fit, the cap, development, everything. Couldn't be happier with him as our GM right now.

Those worried about the defense... There were no good options at a reasonable value. Defensemen got PAID this off-season. We're also a bit tight on cap space for a good top 4 dman, but wait till the deadline and cap isn't a problem. Plus by then we'll know better what we need.

At the start of the season you only need a team good enough to make the playoffs. Address your other needs along the way.
He is also an excellent negotiator. Something desperately lacking in this franchise recently with the ludacris contracts being handed out.

Reactions: pantherbot

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
I rate him barkov.

that's... a GM's job! :laugh:

seriously, tho - he's done a great job to this point. all GM's *try* to do those things but he's been unusually (for us) successful.

hard to evaluate the off-season deals as we haven't seen the team play yet but so far, it looks like another A off-season.

ultimately, playoff success will be his proctor.

Reactions: Prominence Problem

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
that's... a GM's job! :laugh:

seriously, tho - he's done a great job to this point. all GM's *try* to do those things but he's been unusually (for us) successful.

hard to evaluate the off-season deals as we haven't seen the team play yet but so far, it looks like another A off-season.

ultimately, playoff success will be his proctor.
That’s true. So far it looks like he’s better at a GM’s job than almost all of the other 31. But it’s also true that playoff success is the only real measure. Toronto GM looked pretty okay when he got Tavares and coach Babcock and some other pieces.

Reactions: zeroG

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
Last summer, A+

this summer, B-ish?

Reinhart trade was very nice but doesn't really solve anything except make an already top loaded front 9 more loaded. Main issue was the defense and they traded the 2nd best dman in the playoffs last year and had to include multiple high picks, then used the space to sign Montour who has done nothing in his career and was invisible in the playoffs. Thornton move is risk free but doesn't make a lot of sense to me, huge issues and adding another forward? Buying out Yandle, who is complete shit, doesn't do much for me since everyone from outer space can see that. I'm probably going to get dumped on as everyone is in the honeymoon phase but yeah.

Not gonna dump on you, but it's kinda pointless to have this thread in general until the off-season is even over. We have a billion forwards. Feels like a trade is coming

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
What's the scale? 1-10?

I think 9/10 seems about right from where I am sitting right now. I have mixed feelings on some of the moves, but realistically, getting out from under Stralman now was the right move. It's naive to think we could get another good year out of the guy after seeing how he fell apart during the season.

Making the hard choice to buy out Keith Yandle and eject the team from that clown tent took guts and I give him a lot of credit for that.

Clint

Jul 14, 2003
A-

Loses points for spending money (Thornton and Montour) and/or not utilizing assets (Vatrano) that otherwise could have gotten us a LHD.

Other than that he's been nothing short of stellar.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
What's the scale? 1-10?

I think 9/10 seems about right from where I am sitting right now. I have mixed feelings on some of the moves, but realistically, getting out from under Stralman now was the right move. It's naive to think we could get another good year out of the guy after seeing how he fell apart during the season.

Making the hard choice to buy out Keith Yandle and eject the team from that clown tent took guts and I give him a lot of credit for that.
Could be 1-10 or graded. Was more just a discussion. You guys get to essentially make the rules lol.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
On a scale of 1-10, he gets 10+ from me.
1) 1 year from meh to legit contender
2) no crazy contracts
3) no losses that didn’t give better return
4) smart money management
5) smart term management
6) fair guy the players respect
7) did this all while competing with other GMs

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
No, a B for this offseason.

The Yandle buyout next year will look ugly.

Trading Stralman and what he gave up to do it.

For his whole tenure here, I would bump it up to a -A. Great, but not perfect. But, then I don't think perfection is possible for the GM role.
I agree that the Yandle buyout will look ugly, especially without actually adding another defender.
But the Stralman thing I suppose I disagree. I do think we historically as fans of this franchise desperately hold onto our picks and prospects knowing we won’t do anything to keep our blossoming talent and otherwise can’t attract strong FAs. Most of our picks haven’t historically panned out though. The cost of cap space is at a premium, trading Stralman was buying high but it was basically buying an opportunity to add now and stay the course with Barkov’s extension. So the way I look at it, Stralman’s trade can be sort of lumped into the Reinhart trade.

Reactions: gizmo12688

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad