Zito Rating Thread

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
He’s done a fantastic job. I’m very happy with what he’s done. I thought the Bennet deal was a tad pricey and I’m weary of going all out on players for half a season. We have a history of that, Olesz anyone? But this just feels different because of the current culture, vibe, and chemistry going on with the players. This has also rubbed onto the fans and I’ve never felt as optimistic going into a new season as this one. Our offense for the first time has real true depth. Our defense is decent. Unfortunately, Bob has Zito’s hands tied behind his back so we can only hope Bob can just play solid.
Anyway, happy with Zito’s work, it’s changed our team.

VijayPatel11

Mar 29, 2021
Sarasota, FL
Montour fits well with the strategy of active defensemen that Q likes to employ, his skating and puck carrying abilities are top notch

Maybe a bit overpaid, but it could have been worse: we could have signed Tucker Poolman for 2.5 per...

Reactions: BabyBennettov

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Hes not good. You are noting his points, Yandle put up points, so did MM. Neither was good. Montour has a large body of work suggesting hes not good, think I would go with that and let another team prove me wrong.
He had good years in Anaheim. Buffalo isn’t the right period to look at, otherwise Calgary wouldn’t have been either and Bennett should be a fourth liner. Also, as soon you compared him to Yandle, your argument became null and void.

Last edited:

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
Hes not good. You are noting his points, Yandle put up points, so did MM. Neither was good. Montour has a large body of work suggesting hes not good, think I would go with that and let another team prove me wrong.

matheson and yandle are different players (from one another and montour).

that said, i don't agree that montour's been bad.

but the point is, many offensive D are not good defensively.

it's impossible to succeed today without contributions from the blue line.

so it stands to reason that, as a GM (and coach), you may have to deal with the occasional defensive lapse.

again, i really disliked some of his decisions without the puck and based on the amount of time he was a FA before zito re-signed him, i'm guessing that he was keeping his options open for an upgrade.

remember, he was also put in a tough spot, having to come in and fill ek's shoes. i think it's likely he has a much better showing when slotted back into a more appropriate role. i'm sure that was part of zito's thought process.

Swede93

Sep 14, 2009
One way I’ve rationalized some of the moves as well, in terms of bridging the positive attributes Yandle brought (or should have brought):

- Monty for PP and puck moving ability
- Thorton for PP (maybe) and locker room presence. Everyone talked about yands lightening the room and keeping things fun, think Thorty will do the same and bring that hard work attitude to boot

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Yeah I think Montour will get his game back from his Anaheim days. Now he can just settle back into that #4 role. The Panthers like puck moving d-men, it is what it is. For that role, it's a good value signing. Plus he's a rhd. That carries value around the league.

Reactions: harv33173

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad