Ziggy Palffy's story

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008
There were many stories about Ziggy Palffy. He was famous for what he said or did during his hockey carrier. Lubo Visnovsky shared one story about Ziggy recently.

There was a funeral of a former hockey coach in Palffy's home town Skalica, Slovakia. Ziggy was late at the day of the funeral so they called him where he was as they were about to start. Ziggy said he will be there shortly as he is just at the gas station.
At the end of the ceremony there is a habit to throw a little bit of dirt on the coffin before its buried. When it was Ziggy's turn there was a heavy sound heard as if the big stone hit the coffin in the grave. After the ceremony his mates and friends asked him what did he throw in the grave that caused the sound.

Ziggy replied: "You know, as I was late I stopped at the gas station to buy some flowers. Unfortunately they were out of flowers so I bought him a chocolate candy box."
His mates started to laugh and went down rolling on the floor however he had to nail it.
"You fools, why do you laugh? It was not an ordinary chocolate. That one was with a nougat flavor."

Pure legend.:biglaugh:

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
There were many stories about Ziggy Palffy. He was famous for what he said or did during his hockey carrier. Lubo Visnovsky shared one story about Ziggy recently.

There was a funeral of a former hockey coach in Palffy's home town Skalica, Slovakia. Ziggy was late at the day of the funeral so they called him where he was as they were about to start. Ziggy said he will be there shortly as he is just at the gas station.
At the end of the ceremony there is a habit to throw a little bit of dirt on the coffin before its buried. When it was Ziggy's turn there was a heavy sound heard as if the big stone hit the coffin in the grave. After the ceremony his mates and friends asked him what did he throw in the grave that caused the sound.

Ziggy replied: "You know, as I was late I stopped at the gas station to buy some flowers. Unfortunately they were out of flowers so I bought him a chocolate candy box."
His mates started to laugh and went down rolling on the floor however he had to nail it.
"You fools, why do you laugh? It was not an ordinary chocolate. That one was with a nougat flavor."

Pure legend.:biglaugh:
Palffy was different lol. Him and Travis Green kissing will forever be etched in my memory.

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
Say what you want, but the dude had legendary flow back in the day.
IMG_9577_704x.JPG

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
I remember when he flat out left the NHL in the middle of a PPG season. No, seriously, he up and dipped.

Guys retiring midseason isn't something unprecedented. 2005/06 had a bunch of guys who were just too rusty coming out of a lockout and weren't in shape any more. Hell, his own teammate Mario retired after his heart problems surfaced. 2006/07 even had another in Wes Walz, who might take the cake for strangest midseason retirement, retiring because he had worn out his last pair of a discontinued model of skates and he just plain could not handle the feel of new ones (he suffers from OCD, apparently... they brought this tidbit up on Rielly's chiclets episode).

But Palffy? I don't ever remember a reason being given. He just left and never came back.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
I remember when he flat out left the NHL in the middle of a PPG season. No, seriously, he up and dipped.

Guys retiring midseason isn't something unprecedented. 2005/06 had a bunch of guys who were just too rusty coming out of a lockout and weren't in shape any more. Hell, his own teammate Mario retired after his heart problems surfaced. 2006/07 even had another in Wes Walz, who might take the cake for strangest midseason retirement, retiring because he had worn out his last pair of a discontinued model of skates and he just plain could not handle the feel of new ones (he suffers from OCD, apparently... they brought this tidbit up on Rielly's chiclets episode).

But Palffy? I don't ever remember a reason being given. He just left and never came back.
lingering shoulder injury from what i remember. he made a comeback in the slovakian league a couple years later and played there until 2013
It's not like he had a bad NHL career. Over 1.00 PPG in the dead puck era.
no not at all. just think his numbers would've been even better had he been younger/healthier when the new rules came into effect. same thing with kariya

Reactions: Dingo

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
I remember when he came back to the slovakian league he complained about it being poor. I'm a Penguins fan so it annoyed me that he basically left us to play there although he dominated their scoring races going into his fourties.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
I really liked him as a player. Also ,great to have personalities in the game, instead of the robots brainwashed to say cookie cutter stuff like 'Just go out there and try my best' etc.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Wasn't he like the slowest player ever or was that jason allison i'm thinking of?
There used to be a running joke about Allison and concrete mix slowing down and I totally forgot the punchline, but Allison was slow. So slow. Idk about Palffy, though. He seemed pretty nimble to me but I could be wrong.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
palffy was/is so underrated. another undersized, speedy forward who would've dominated in the "new NHL" but just came in at the wrong time
I love Palffy but he gets brought up on these boards pretty often. I want him to be remembered, but at the end of the day, he didn't play on a great team. I wonder if great teams at the TDL saw him as a player who wouldn't put them over the top. That matters to me. But in terms of a fun guy to watch, I think he's awesome. I just don't think DPE playoffs would have been kind to him.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
I love Palffy but he gets brought up on these boards pretty often. I want him to be remembered, but at the end of the day, he didn't play on a great team. I wonder if great teams at the TDL saw him as a player who wouldn't put them over the top. That matters to me. But in terms of a fun guy to watch, I think he's awesome. I just don't think DPE playoffs would have been kind to him.
He only made the playoffs 3 times, basically all of it with an outmatched Kings team that featured him and not a ton else. He still put up 19 points in 24 games. I remember him being pretty good in the little run they had in 01.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad