Zibenajad trade..looks bad

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
I’m still waiting for the dust to settle on the Zibanejad vs DaCosta debate from the Sens board.

So ask me again in 10 years.

Reactions: haveandare

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
The biggest problem in this thread is probably that some posters are trying to spin that Ottawa fans are refuting that Ottawa loss this trade by saying Brassard is currently better than Zibanejad which gets interpreted by Rangers fans as "New York loss the trade."

I think the trade is a win for NY no matter what. They got a younger equally if not more productive player AND a future asset.

That said, we can argue that Ottawa lost the trade but in no way is the trade bad. OP is out to lunch. Ottawa got an equally productive player that molds better with the make up of the team, so we gave up a budding (future star?) player for immediate success.
Ottawa gets immediate results, NY hopes to get future success at no risk by not giving up anything now and hoping Zibby breaks out even more.

I think the interesting thing is few people would have figured Ottawa to be a contender last year which was partly why the trade seemed confusing...giving up a young player and an asset to get an older guy with the idea that you're "going for it".

Then they did make it to the ECF. So they trade for Duchene this year, they obviously think they have a window. Wouldn't be surprised to see them trade some high picks etc this year around the deadline if they're in a good spot.

Just always interesting to see how quickly a team can pop up and make a run. Will be also interesting to see if they can do it again

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Why would I laugh at Turris getting 7 years? I certainly would not. There are older, worse players getting 8 year deals.
Melnyk will not spend the $.

Nah.
The Alfie debacle was horrid, but he signed Ryan, he'll likely sign Karlsson and Turris wasn't great but we'll see.
Melnyk IS cheap, but he's made an effort to keep this group together and to win in the short term, which is his only concern.
And yes, Zib is doing well but Brass has done great for us. Short term peeps, short term.

Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Mika shows his disappearing act in the playoffs. He sucked against Ottawa last year in the playoffs... Brassard all day every day over zibby. More heart, more clutch.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Odd timing.

Mika crushed Derick in the reg season.

I thought Brassard was fine during the regular season last year but Mika did get off to a hot start, with 17 in 20 games. Ended up getting hurt and having some struggles when he came back.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
His name is Zibanejad. We're on page 8 and the OP still haven't changed the title, lol.

Both teams "won" the trade. The Rangers will win it longterm though.. but you got to take in every aspect of the trade. The Sens did the trade for a reason.

Reactions: SenzZen

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
His name is Zibanejad. We're on page 8 and the OP still haven't changed the title, lol.

Both teams "won" the trade. The Rangers will win it longterm though.. but you got to take in every aspect of the trade. The Sens did the trade for a reason.

Yeah no losers in this trade, Mika is just going to help us out longer term. Brassard was great for NY, and it seems Ottawa is happy with him. So its a win win.

Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Hate to bump up an old thread but 3 months later this trade has now turned into

Ottawa gave up: Zibenajad + (currently) 34th overall pick in 2018 + (currently) 65th overall pick in 2018 + Tobias Lindberg + Vincent Dunn
for
Pens 2018 1st (25-31st overall) + Pens 2019 3rd round pick (likely to be a late 3rd) + Filip Gustavsson + Ian Cole

So the net result at this point is that Melnyk/Dorion gave up Zib to move up 2-9 places in the 2018 draft + Gustavsson and Cole and in the process also downgraded a 3rd round pick

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Hate to bump up an old thread but 3 months later this trade has now turned into

Ottawa gave up: Zibenajad + (currently) 34th overall pick in 2018 + (currently) 65th overall pick in 2018 + Tobias Lindberg + Vincent Dunn
for
Pens 2018 1st (25-31st overall) + Pens 2019 3rd round pick (likely to be a late 3rd) + Filip Gustavsson + Ian Cole

So the net result at this point is that Melnyk/Dorion gave up Zib to move up 2-9 places in the 2018 draft + Gustavsson and Cole and in the process also downgraded a 3rd round pick

I know this place has a serious Ricky Bobby complex, but they also made it to the ECF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad