Zibenajad trade..looks bad

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I thought this trade was terrible when it was made and it looks even worse now now that Zib seems to have found the next gear. The guy will atleast be a 1B/2C if not a #1 C for years to come for the Rangers where as Brassard is already 30, is a UFA next season and even if the Sens resign him to a minimum 5 year deal that he would want he will not be worth the money in the later half of his contract. The Sens don't even save *that* much money, they could just not have traded for the aging Alex Burrows by giving up a great propsect and that could have been the money they saved with Brassard and then some. Horrible asset management. Melnyk and Dorian will run this franchise into the ground.

Last edited:

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Think the trade worked out for both teams. Have loved Mika since he came here. Been fun watching him score some timely goals. But I don't see any Sens fans upset with Brassard. Unless I'm missing something.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Think the trade worked out for both teams. Have loved Mika since he came here. Been fun watching him score some timely goals. But I don't see any Sens fans upset with Brassard. Unless I'm missing something.
He was really underwhelming during the regular season last year. Probably due to getting accustomed to the team, system etc. Came as advertised in the playoffs and is off to a pretty good start so far

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

bornNraised Sens

Apr 8, 2014
Is this a Zib-Brassard debate? or a Burrows trade debate? or a debate about Dorian?

How can you say Brassard won't be worth his money in a future deal if you don't know what said deal is worth?

Reactions: Deku

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
The trade was beneficial for Rangers then, has been since and willbe in the future.

Heck, even got a damn 2nd rounder.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I, for one, have enjoyed the looks fill in the blanks thread titles.

Also, I still randomly just smile to myself that the Rangers snagged Zibanejad from the Sens. What a couo by Gorton.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
stats breakdown

Mika Zibanejad

8-6-14pts -6
team 5-7-2 12 pts

Derick Brassard

6-7-13ots
team 6-3-5-17pts

can the op explain more how the trade looks bad and not just adding to the plethora of fill in the blank looks bad threads

can the OP back up is statement with stats

Mika Zibenajad: 24 years old

Derrick Brassard: 30 years old

From what we know about the aging curves of forwards, they peak between 24-26 years old and decline starts to set in at 30 (ofcourse it is different from player to player). Rangers have Zibenajad locked up at a good cap hit for his prime years whereas even if the Sens resign Brassard, it will be for his twilight years when he is is declining. The 2nd round pick just adds insult to injury.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
they are both having great years why is it bad for ottawa?

plus zibs stats look solid because he scored a shit ton of goals off the rip

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
There was such regard for punctuation in the title, and then I get assaulted by the paragraph from hell.

I give full credit to NYR for trading from a position of certainty (Brassard) for a lesser known quantity in Zibanejad. They are going through what I would call a dignified rebuild. As armchair fans, we love the concept of attempting to unlock Zibanejad's potential, but this trade had equal potential to blow up in NYR's face and leave them with a player with consistency issues.

Yeah, I've seen Zibby play a ton in Ottawa. But it was a gamble. Wins keep a GM employed, and from the Sens perspective, I can see the draw in acquiring Brassard. He's versatile, and can be an able replacement for Turris should they decide to go after someone like Duchene.

Reactions: Holden the Stick

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Brassard has been awesome, really happy with his play since April of last season. Odd thread.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
I thought the low down of this trade was that the trade is pretty even currently (time of trade) and will get better for the Rangers in the future all depending on whether Mika doesn't regress and how much Brassard regresses.
I'd still say we are in the "near future" phase of the trade, so technically the trade is still even.
Now, we can re-evaluate in about 2 or 3 years when Mika hits his "prime" and Brassard is about to retire. Then it might look like "the better trade" for the Rangers, but then again the same can be said about a ton of threads.

Bottom line is trades are usually made to improve, or fix a problem in the present. Rangers had the future in mind and tried to fix the problem of re-signing Brassard, Senators ... well I guess the same goes.

Any way you form it, I don't see either teams as "losers" in this trade. Rangers however look to be winners in the future just because they might still have a good player by the time the other decides to retire.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Mika Zibenajad: 24 years old

Derrick Brassard: 30 years old

From what we know about the aging curves of forwards, they peak between 24-26 years old and decline starts to set in at 30 (ofcourse it is different from player to player). Rangers have Zibenajad locked up at a good cap hit for his prime years whereas even if the Sens resign Brassard, it will be for his twilight years when he is is declining. The 2nd round pick just adds insult to injury.

Based on the here and now it is not a bad deal

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I thought this trade was terrible when it was made and it looks even worse now now that Zib seems to have found the next gear. The guy will atleast be a 1B/2C if not a #1 C for years to come for the Rangers where as Brassard is already 30, is a UFA next season and even if the Sens resign him to a minimum 5 year deal that he would want he will not be worth the money in the later half of his contract. The Sens don't even save *that* much money, they could just not have traded for the aging Alex Burrows by giving up a great propsect and that could have been the money they saved with Brassard and then some. Horrible asset management. Melnyk and Dorian will run this franchise into the ground.

Can you post your comments from the day of the trade

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
If they sign him to a 7 year deal you would laugh, if they don't sign him you would laugh as well. No winning with you folks.

Why would I laugh at Turris getting 7 years? I certainly would not. There are older, worse players getting 8 year deals.
Melnyk will not spend the $.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
When a fan says stuff line this you know they're just trying to be nice knowing they won the trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad