Zibanejad ridiculous shortie

TriFF51

USA Hockey
Aug 21, 2009
New York
What does showing a frame before contact show? His stick is literally around his body, inches from his hands/ wrists in that frame. Blade is even pointing in, like a hook towards him.

You can see it at 45 seconds...idk looked clean honestly

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I get the argument that it looked bad and refs usually call it, but that would have been pretty bad had the ref called it simply because a player went down. Zucc didn't fall from a hook. It was good play by Zibanejad followed by a good goal, and a bad finish to kill the powerplay...

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
"Bad" defensive player Zibby made that look easy.
It’s funny how some nerds want to point to his even strength numbers to call him bad defensively but every coach he has calls him one of the top two way players in the league. Gallant just said it the other night again as well

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Funny seeing people say it's not a hook, when you slow it down and watch it frame by frame you can see it's a stick lift and not a hook....
When did refs start watching games in slow motion frame by frame? This sure as hell looked like the definition of a hooking penalty in real time.
Rangers Zib is absolutely lucky to have gotten away with this hook, if they weren't already short handed it would have 100% been called a hook.

But still a sick goal

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
It’s funny how some nerds want to point to his even strength numbers to call him bad defensively but every coach he has calls him one of the top two way players in the league. Gallant just said it the other night again as well
Yup. PKing at a high level too. Its one of the worst tropes on HF.

Reactions: Lays

TriFF51

USA Hockey
Aug 21, 2009
New York
Funny seeing people say it's not a hook, when you slow it down and watch it frame by frame you can see it's a stick lift and not a hook....
When did refs start watching games in slow motion frame by frame? This sure as hell looked like the definition of a hooking penalty in real time.
Rangers Zib is absolutely lucky to have gotten away with this hook, if they weren't already short handed it would have 100% been called a hook.

But still a sick goal

To be honest I don't need to go frame by frame to see he just got the shaft of the stick in that video above. Real time from behind yeah its impossible to tell...and its just as funny that it wasn't called a hook, there's a video showing it wasn't and you're still saying it's a hook...the refs are on the ice not watching on TV. We don't know how they saw it.

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
To be honest I don't need to go frame by frame to see he just got the shaft of the stick in that video above. Real time from behind yeah its impossible to tell...and its just as funny that it wasn't called a hook, there's a video showing it wasn't and you're still saying it's a hook...

Would you have preferred I put quotes on hook? I straight up said in the frame by frame and slow motion you could see it's a stick lift.
I'm just saying 100% if they aren't already killing a penalty, this would have been called a hook, not that it was a hook

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
I love the Rangers' play-by-play guy, he sounds like an old man spitting cracker crumbs everywhere
Holy shit I’m dead. That’s not far from the truth.

Edit-
I’m on a zoom call and can’t stop cracking up. Thanks.

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly

But still a sick goal

“It wasn’t a hook, but he’s lucky the refs didn’t call it a hook.”

This take is simultaneously both ridiculous and sadly accurate.

Reactions: HugeInTheShire

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

But still a sick goal
So you're saying refs should call it regardless if they see anything just because "typically" those end up in hooks? They should just blow the play dead and call a penalty? How do you know what the ref saw in real time - were you watching a go-pro view from the ref?

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
So you're saying refs should call it regardless if they see anything just because "typically" those end up in hooks? They should just blow the play dead and call a penalty? How do you know what the ref saw in real time - were you watching a go-pro view from the ref?

Nope, I'm saying in real time it looked like a clear hooking penalty, maybe you've got a lot more faith in NHL refs than I do if you think they knew it wasn't a hook in real time.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Nope, I'm saying in real time it looked like a clear hooking penalty, maybe you've got a lot more faith in NHL refs than I do if you think they knew it wasn't a hook in real time.
In real time to you and I it looked like a hook. In real time to the ref, I have no idea. I think Zucc didn't get the benefit of the call because Zibanejad's stick was already moved before Zucc went down, but I can't tell you how the ref saw it.

Teppo

Mar 3, 2008
It was the type of hook that does not get called when a team is already shorthanded (which is silly but reality) - but when it leads directly to a goal being scored I bet the official wishes he would have called it a hook. Glad it did not impact the final result.

GG96

Feb 21, 2020
It was the type of hook that does not get called when a team is already shorthanded (which is silly but reality) - but when it leads directly to a goal being scored I bet the official wishes he would have called it a hook. Glad it did not impact the final result.
What kind of take is this? The official should have called a clean play a hook because it led to a goal? This is good HF stuff.

Reactions: Kupo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad