Confirmed with Link: Zib Extension; 8 years, $8.5M per

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Then why not $30m or less? Just as realistic.

Why have an opinion at all? It's some people's opinion that this is too much. Saying "well it wasn't realistic to get him for less, so you must love it," isn't any better of an argument.

The post I was quoting was positing that we shouldn't care about the interplay between years and dollars because it's $68m one way or the other, so you can either slice it up as 8x8.5 or 7x9.7 or whatever.

Either of those outcomes is kind of bad for the team, especially with such a comprehensive NMC. I think that's a valid opinion, whether you share it or not.

The only way to make it more manageable would have been to have it simply been worth less money. If Zibanejad wouldn't have signed for less money, well, that may be, but we can still not like the deal.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
With the position Drury was in, I can see why it was done. It'll likely hurt in the last half. This signals the Rangers expectancy to compete for a SC during the first half of this contract. If they win one, that's all that will matter to most.

I'm all for more stank face Mika. Here's to him hopefully wowing us with his offensive prowess for, at least, the next few years.

Reactions: Captain Lindy

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Theoretically speaking.... Zibs can become the 'all-time leading Rangers goal scorer' if he plays out this contract with us.

He has 136goals already.
8 years of an average of 35 bring him to 416 ( he could be hitting 50 per over the next few seasons).
10 ahead of Gilbert. It's doable.

edit - he actually has 9 years left with us. Didn't count this year. Even more doable.
That is some goal. I am down. He goes there, he will be up in the rafters. Probably after I am 6ft. under.

Reactions: Captain Lindy

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
The easy one is Strome
he's from TOR and I guess would do discount for term and decent $.
They'd prob have to sell Kerfoot cheap.

A big deal would be:

Miller, Kravtsov Hajek + 3rd
for
Sanderson + 2nd

Hate to see Krav go and I wanted him tried at C
but 9OA Krav + a high end LD w/size and reach who's had a min of development before he got here and had a good rookie season until everybody got hurt at the end, that would be a signif return for a guy 5OA

plus they are immediately useful to OTT now

for NY Sanderson won't sign til end of this season or after
helps us push back elc cap
loosens log jam slightly

this year
Lindy - Fox
Jones - Trouba
Nemeth - Nils

above is balanced, 1 clear the crease size guy, one playmaker

gives 1 yr to build Jones value and sell high, or trade Lindy sell high or keep Sanderson + Jones + move Lindy to 4LW/reserve emergency D

Robertson + Schneider first pair in the A, get mins
Tinordi maybe sticks as reserve
Reunanen gets some mins so we build up his value and deal

also our lines:
with it clear Zib is staying...

Goodrow - Zib - Panarin
LaF - Chytil - Gauthier
Kreider - Barron - Kakko
Reaves - Blais - Rooney
Hunt

Cuylie + Panjuniemi get groomed to replace Reaves + Rooney

somethin like dat
Always an interesting cat.

Reactions: bernmeister

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Or buyout
Unless I added that wrong, the signing bonus at the later years makes it rather pointless to buy him out. The saving is less than a million a year, if Zibby can still skate, he's probably still worth that over a replacement.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Rangers fans for years: We need a franchise 1C!!!

Rangers fans after signing a franchise 1C to a very reasonable contract: REEEEEE this contract is awful we are doomed!

star-wars-you-are-doomed.gif

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Its a fools errand to hope that Zib is still the same player at 34 or 35, IMO. What we can hope for is that Kakko (24 or 25), Lafreniere (24 or 25), and the like (Fox would be 28 or 29) will help elevate these older guys as they age.

teams with long sustained success have had older cores supplemented by younger ones, and continued to reap great rewards on aging players because of it. San Jose, Detroit, and Boston come to mind immediately.

we've made our bed and have to live in it.
I got no prob on effort; howev, he may get injured, which none of us can control, and odds for that increase w/age.

Comes with the territory.
Risk of cost to sign long < perceived as less than return on a rental.
He did not give us option to increase his value by paying him more than 8.5 per but no nmc/ntc.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
The decades of being a Rangers fan... This is the most stacked and promising team we've ever had.

The hard part is keeping it together. Zibs at $8.5M is more than reasonable. It might get hairy in 8-9 years but if it goes as planned... we'll have a Cup(s) by then.... making this conversation seem futile

The idea is to win now and later. We can't worry only about later. I know it's Hockey's Future but ALL WINNING TEAMS GO THROUGH CAP CRUNCHES. There's no way around it. It's the purpose of the cap.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
we've made our bed and have to live in it.
I got no prob on effort; howev, he may get injured, which none of us can control, and odds for that increase w/age.

Comes with the territory.
Risk of cost to sign long < perceived as less than return on a rental.
He did not give us option to increase his value by paying him more than 8.5 per but no nmc/ntc.

No player of his caliber signs without a NMC/NTC.

Reactions: DekeR

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
With the position Drury was in, I can see why it was done. It'll likely hurt in the last half. This signals the Rangers expectancy to compete for a SC during the first half of this contract. If they win one, that's all that will matter to most.

I'm all for more stank face Mika. Here's to him hopefully wowing us with his offensive prowess for, at least, the next few years.

Trying to compete in the next 5 years without losing their top youth is probably the right idea. You have arguably the best winger in hockey signed for another 5 years, get your 1C to go with him (and bonus they don't even have to play on the same line) and hope the draft and trade investments over the past several years hit their stride in the next couple of years and you get some cracks at it

Reactions: JCProdigy

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
People thought signing panarin to that deal would kill us. Does anybody really the last half of that deal will make the front not worth it? Zibanejad isnt Goodrow or Girardi. He's a superstar with 50+ goal potential.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad