Confirmed with Link: Zib Extension; 8 years, $8.5M per

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Don’t think I’ve seen anyone make this link…signing Mika today is directly tied to the Buchnevich trade. With the other upcoming obligations (e.g Fox, Kakko etc.) the Rangers may not have offered this contract. The complete trade is Blais, a 2nd and future cap space for Buchnevich.
Why are you beating a dead horse for? Lol.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
What about net after taxes with the 2 contracts (yours vs actual)?

He didn’t get that far....
He was already patting himself on the back. After dropping yet another line up gem

wow, talk about a reach.
Even George Harrison's fair condemnation about excessive taxation in Britain was not this skewed.
And that was 1 for you 19 for me.

1. You don't take less $ because of taxes. You always max earnings by taking biggest salary. Even if there is bracket creep, you still wind up with more in earnings.

2. Able to write off huge amounts of earnings in investments; still able to finagle higher net worth.

3. Legit tax free investments.

4. Can afford to live in FL or similar tax free state on paper and actually reside in NY.

........ And that's just off the top of my head.

til later peeps

Reactions: EdJovanovski

DekeR

Jan 11, 2008
When you take into account that we just signed a 1st line center long term at a reasonable price and terms that we can live with, this its a good thing. Then couple that with the inflation factor that will make cap increases sooner than expected (probably a small amount next year) and continual. This contract will look like a 6.5 to 7 M deal when all is said and done. It gives this franchise not only some line stability but it affords this young talented group of very young players, to continue their growth with that same stability.

Reactions: THE BIG WHISTLE

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
wow, talk about a reach.
Even George Harrison's fair condemnation about excessive taxation in Britain was not this skewed.

1. You don't take less $ because of taxes. You always max earnings by taking biggest salary. Even if there is bracket creep, you still wind up with more in earnings.

2. Able to write off huge amounts of earnings in investments; still able to finagle higher net worth.

4. Can afford to live in FL or similar tax free state on paper and actually reside in NY.

til later peeps
Berns financial and tax-dodging advice is even better than his roster building proposals. Thank you
True gem of the site

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
wow, talk about a reach.

til later peeps

no that’s correct, you don’t take less cause of taxes. But having 65 million spread over 5 years and 8 years is 2 different things entirely

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Hockey is like everything else, the prices keep going up and sometimes it’s easy to have a figure in your mind that doesn’t really exist anymore.

It’s kind of like eating out. People stop for fast food and they are surprised at the cost of a combo.

They remember a time when a combo cost $5, and the $10 price point was closer to the cost of takeout from a local cafe or restaurant.

Fast forward several years and the fast food combo is $10 and the next tier up is closer to $15-$20.

Inflation is real.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Had to chuckle every time I read this and that poster who said they like AAV but didn’t like term. Do you realize one doesn’t come without the other? It’s basically a $68m deal. You wanted 7 years - it would automatically make AAV $9.5 or so. 6 years? We’d be talking over $10m. Simple

I think those people are saying they would have preferred a $60m or $52m deal then.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I hate this.

They have hitched their wagon to him for their entire window.

He better stay healthy and better stay either a 1C or elite 2C.

It's not what I would have done, but Rangers gonna do what they literally always do.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I hate this.
you'll learn to love it

It's a necessary evil. 8 years for a better AAV. The 99.9% NMC is suspect. Could we not have gotten a little more leeway?

at the end of it... he'll be the Rangers all-time goal scoring leader.

Last edited:

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I’ve been seeing people complain about this deal, I’m not sure what people wanted

First, people complaining about the contract, it’s a fine deal. He was never going to accept a 5 year deal, and he probably gave the team a bit of a discount because he could have easily gotten closer to 10 million a year this summer. You don’t think someone like Vegas wouldn’t give him a blank check to get him signed if he made it to UFA?

The clauses are standard stuff, every top guy in the league has those

And people are also acting like the team had a choice. I saw someone yesterday on Twitter say “well they didn’t have to sign him at all”. They have no one else, there’s no Zegras in the system who is clearly going to be a 1C. Eichel was obviously a possibility but Buffalo wanted to much. And these 1C guys never become available in a trade.

This isn’t franchise mode on NHL 22

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I don't have a problem with the AAV. In the short term, it's going to be great.

Everyone is going to hate this contract by year 5, and then we're going to have to carry this shit for 3 additional years beyond that.

This isn't as dumb as locking in Kreider, but its a bit panic-y.

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
Beautiful fantastic deal, now will they name him the Captain?

MSG was really spotlighting him the other night ….

Yeah, I said it earlier in the thread. We know the Rangers and it was said without flat out telling us he was getting extended or/and most likely the C. After the piece everyone posted basically in unison they knew it was coming. They gave us the scoop which I really appreciated.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Its a fools errand to hope that Zib is still the same player at 34 or 35, IMO. What we can hope for is that Kakko (24 or 25), Lafreniere (24 or 25), and the like (Fox would be 28 or 29) will help elevate these older guys as they age.

teams with long sustained success have had older cores supplemented by younger ones, and continued to reap great rewards on aging players because of it. San Jose, Detroit, and Boston come to mind immediately.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ

Thats awful! Hate the NTC for his entire term of contract. Plus at age 36 he wont be traded hell be bought out. More cap on the books later. Plus everyone saying the cap is going to go up. That all remains to be seen. 8.5m per is the right cap hit, he doesnt deserve more than coutierer but those last year 7 and 8 are going to eat us alive.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
They have no one else, there’s no Zegras in the system who is clearly going to be a 1C. Eichel was obviously a possibility but Buffalo wanted to much. And these 1C guys never become available in a trade.

This isn’t franchise mode on NHL 22

The problem with all the excuse making is that this was foreseeable years ago and there COULD have been a Zegras in the system had they upped the ante to Edmonton in the Kakko draft, or gotten creative in the Lafreniere draft with their second 1st rd pick, etc. They have had a lot of assets that they've failed to deploy aggressively to try to get another center in here to give them options. Kreider was a perfect trade chip and they had a first and Jason Robertson in the bag for him and they passed. What could Robertson and a first have been parlayed into? A 22 year old winger who projects to get 70 points this year? A lot.

They put themselves in this position and now to hear people throw up their hands and say "Well, what did you want us to do? We have to compete so we can't let him go, overpaying is the only option!!"

Well, maybe it was, but that doesn't mean it's going to be good for the team.

I do expect it to be good for the first 4 years or so, the problem is, this credit card mentality of pay now, suffer later, you aren't going to avoid the suffering. You ARE going to suffer this contract later.

Right when Kakko and Laf are in their primes at age like 25-27.

Better hope the cap climbs. Better hope Zibanejad stays healthy.

And they better f***ing do something with their spare defensive prospects to get another high end-ish center into this system so their arms aren't further tied down the road.

Reactions: Synergy27

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Its a fools errand to hope that Zib is still the same player at 34 or 35, IMO. What we can hope for is that Kakko (24 or 25), Lafreniere (24 or 25), and the like (Fox would be 28 or 29) will help elevate these older guys as they age.

teams with long sustained success have had older cores supplemented by younger ones, and continued to reap great rewards on aging players because of it. San Jose, Detroit, and Boston come to mind immediately.

Hence we still need another 18-21 year old center in here who projects to have that upside. We're not just building for this season as much as some want that to be the case.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad