Rumor: Zetterberg's LTIR contract for Tyler Johnson

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Funny that twice in this thread I mentioned that if Yzerman asked too much Tampa would find other options elsewhere and both times I got roasted by those thinking Tampa was stuck dealing multiple firsts to Detroit. I even made the point again after the Kucherov LTIR news and still got roasted even though it was abundantly clear at that point that Tampa didn't have to move Johnson.

I'll keep reiterating my point, Detroit's cap space is very valuable, but only if they trade it for real assets. Trades always have to make sense for both teams. The Tampa-Ottawa deal makes sense for both teams. Tampa picks up some cap space for flexibility and Ottawa gets assets that makes them better now and a pick for the future. Detroit never had Tampa by the balls as so many here believed.

Fans start posturing like they're the f***ing GMs, trying to bluff and everything else. It's comical.

A few weeks ago I proposed Namestnikov for TJ and a first.
You get a player you know, who fits to a degree, and cap relief, and we get TJ and the first.
Not sure if Namestnikov would fit, but he's pretty cheap. I'd have taken the first by itself, too.

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Again

Tampa was always going to fund a way out that didnt equate to moving top assets, ie players, prospects or picks

Whether it was a mysterious LTIR, or, a creative trade of nobodies from any number of teams, you should have known this

This isnt fantasy hockey here folks, GMs rarely if ever are "bent over the coals"

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
No, they could have easily moved Killorn. JBB even said there were 3 possible teams to send Johnson. For all the talk of unmovable NTCs, Coburn was willing to waive his full NTC to go to Ottawa. Things were never as desperate as people here made it out to be, even before the Kucherov news.

Kucherov going on LTIR completely changed the situation. Without that, Tampa would have needed to move TJ, Killorn, Paquette, and Coburn to have enough to sign Cirelli and Cernak to those deals and be cap compliant.

I doubt moving Killorn would be as easy as you think with teams being loath to add cap, especially with term for a player who's somewhat of a product of the team he plays on. JBB may have had 3 teams lined up for TJ but Tampa would have been paying out a ton of futures if it had gone through.

Last edited:

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Again

Tampa was always going to fund a way out that didnt equate to moving top assets, ie players, prospects or picks

Whether it was a mysterious LTIR, or, a creative trade of nobodies from any number of teams, you should have known this

This isnt fantasy hockey here folks, GMs rarely if ever are "bent over the coals"

Probably because being “bent over coals” is a mixed metaphor. :sarcasm:

Reactions: 2020 Cup Champions

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
I don't like that LTIR contracts can be traded. I miss the days when injured players were not eligible to be traded. its such a loophole that needs to be closed asap.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
That doesn't refute my comment that there was never some golden age when injured players couldn't be traded.

I think he was stating when injured players tended not to be traded as failing a physical with your new team was a voidable reason for the deals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad