Rumor: Zetterberg's LTIR contract for Tyler Johnson

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I may be wrong but didn't Johnson clear waivers? Why would they give of up an asset (I know it's bizarre but an LTIR is an asset with value now) to get a guy they could have had for nothing? The question should be what is Tampa adding to TJ to move him or are they retaining.

Of course now we know they are safe for awhile but the day Kuch comes back they need to have something sorted out. I doubt he's out all season.

Detroit should get something with actual value for that contract.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Losing Kuch hurts but Tampa is still the favorite in their division without him. The 4.5 months he'll have to recover/rehab should be enough to have him be a factor in round 1, or at the latest round 2. Tampa probably makes a small move like Paquette or perhaps still finds a trade for Killorn or Johnson and will be fine this season.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
The CBA allows Tampa to put a guy on long term IR for a season and come back for the playoffs. It’s within the rules. Interesting way to become cap compliant I don’t recall a single person ever mentioning this particular path. I guess it was bantered about with Stammer but not Kucherov.
Yeah, I'm familiar with the CBA/LTIR...the timing of it is kinda suspicious is all (not doubting the injury/severity) etc. Now CHI Alex Nylander on LTIR to miss the season, how convenient for all these teams.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Yeah, I'm familiar with the CBA/LTIR...the timing of it is kinda suspicious is all (not doubting the injury/severity) etc. Now CHI Alex Nylander on LTIR to miss the season, how convenient for all these teams.

No doubt hawks were in cap trouble with $5.2 million in space. Nylander’s $863k cap hit is a savior

Reactions: Curufinwe

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Thats not true, he would have gone to a few different West Coast teams and that was well documented. Just that San Jose was his first preference. Those teams didnt want him at his cap hit, just like no one wants Johnson at his. Tampa is incredibly limited in who can take that contract for that many years

What's your source? Here is one of many that I've found that says you are wrong.

Is there space for Patrick Marleau in San Jose?

ShaneinTpa

May 21, 2019

Realistically if anybody was going to try to pull a fast one here it would’ve been a lot easier just to have the player opt out for the season from Covid

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Realistically if anybody was going to try to pull a fast one here it would’ve been a lot easier just to have the player opt out for the season from Covid

Surprised I haven’t seen people whining about the Flyers circumventing the cap by making Niskanen retire. :laugh:

Reactions: Mrfenn92

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Kinda sucks for teams like the wings that Tampa gets out of this with the LTIR but they are still going to be facing the same situation next year

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Kinda sucks for teams like the wings that Tampa gets out of this with the LTIR but they are still going to be facing the same situation next year

No it dosent

If putting Kucherov on the shelf for four months means Detroit dosent get shi..y old TJ, a 31st OA and some B level prospect, count your blessings

Tampa was never not going to go the LTIR route one way or another

Reactions: BStinson

DownIsTheNewUp

Mar 27, 2017
Tampa
No it dosent

If putting Kucherov on the shelf for four months means Detroit dosent get shi..y old TJ, a 31st OA and some B level prospect, count your blessings

Tampa was never not going to go the LTIR route one way or another
What good does Detroit's cap space do unless they can get some assets for it? Yzerman turned 2nd and 3rd round picks into Kucherov, Point, and Cirelli. I can't figure out why Detroit fans don't think a late first isn't very valuable.

Reactions: evolutionbaby

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Not really cause this way it allows them to return in the playoffs when it matters

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
What good does Detroit's cap space do unless they can get some assets for it? Yzerman turned 2nd and 3rd round picks into Kucherov, Point, and Cirelli. I can't figure out why Detroit fans don't think a late first isn't very valuable.
Please don't take this the wrong way, I certainly don't intend for it to be harsh, but if after reading 23 pages of this thread you still don't see why a late 1st is a very poor return for TJ dump, you probably never will "see it".

Also, it's not just DET fans who think so, but likely the majority of other NHL teams fans.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
It would’ve been easier for the team but a player wants to maximize their earnings. I’d also imagine that a professional athlete should be competitive so they probably want to play.

Reactions: ShaneinTpa

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

The entire NHL publicly said TJ is not good, and did so when they past on him for free on waivers.

We can Spin Doctor it any number of ways but in the end, it's a fact.

Good on Tampa Bay

Thank god for Detroit

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
This is a very short sighted post. There are way too many years left in TJ’s awful contract. Detroit is better off signing better players / ufa’s on short term deals with the capspace and maintaining cap flexibility. They can flip players at the tdl for picks. A single late 1st is terrible asset management for a boat anchor contract and Yzerman of course knows that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad