Rumor: Zetterberg's LTIR contract for Tyler Johnson

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I agree with TJ's value being negative and maybe there's a lot more sweetener required. Nashville just seems to make sense as Johnson and Killorn would have more value there versus just about any other team that could afford them - none of which are in a win now mode and would look to acquire vets.
Nope. Scratch Nashville off the list. They had cap space, decent team and no state tax. Was probably the best fit but Preds went another direction.

at some point just leave TJ alone and let him play out his contract in Tampa.

evolutionbaby

Jan 7, 2012
And there had better be some major assets along with him or else it's not worth it.

Taking on that long of a contract reduces our ability to take other bad contracts from teams as well over the next 4 years.

Who’s to say we will have that opportunity? We have an opportunity now to add assets and a legit pro unlike some of the guys we keep trotting out. There’s no one in the system he is blocking. If we pay him 5 mil in 4 years for one season, there is nothing wrong with that. Ideally if our youngsters start coming on, it will be in 3-4 years. They will need to be paid too. I doubt we are taking on bad contracts after 2022/2023.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Whether or not that would work, your thought of 3 teams involved in an effort to get Johnson moved is solid and something I have thought about for a while
Less than 0% chance Detroit does that deal. Best asset is going to Tampa. This trade is a joke. Detroit doesn’t do that deal even if you remove Lucic, the awful cap dump. Add Foote and at least another 1st.

Last edited:

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Again

Their will be no need for Detroit or anyone else to make a deal with Tampa.

Stamkos and Kucherov will go to LTIR, with Kucherov miraculously healing only in time for the playoffs, phew, and the exact dollar amount in cap space needed achieved.

At some point Tampa may deal a Palat or equivalent, but it will be a hockey trade with a playoff level team, whereby Tampa receives futures (picks or prospects)

The very idea that a TJ deal will be done is utter nonsense

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Again

Their will be no need for Detroit or anyone else to make a deal with Tampa.

Stamkos and Kucherov will go to LTIR, with Kucherov miraculously healing only in time for the playoffs, phew, and the exact dollar amount in cap space needed achieved.

At some point Tampa may deal a Palat or equivalent, but it will be a hockey trade with a playoff level team, whereby Tampa receives futures (picks or prospects)

The very idea that a TJ deal will be done is utter nonsense
We wont' be cap compliant to put Kuch and or Stammer (says he's good to go BTW) before the start of the season. Kuch on LTIR does nothing for us right now.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Nope. Scratch Nashville off the list. They had cap space, decent team and no state tax. Was probably the best fit but Preds went another direction.

at some point just leave TJ alone and let him play out his contract in Tampa.
You are very needling and gleeful with your jabs at TBL fans. I like your style! :)

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Who’s to say we will have that opportunity? We have an opportunity now to add assets and a legit pro unlike some of the guys we keep trotting out. There’s no one in the system he is blocking. If we pay him 5 mil in 4 years for one season, there is nothing wrong with that. Ideally if our youngsters start coming on, it will be in 3-4 years. They will need to be paid too. I doubt we are taking on bad contracts after 2022/2023.
Youre right if it was one year then it wouldnt be a problem. But it's not, its 4 years of a declining asset.

There will absolutely be other opportunities to add more bad contracts. We already know its a flat cap for the next 2-3 years with owners who will be losing a ton of money. We are one of the few teams who

1. Arent contending for a while
2. Have a ton of cap space
3. Have an owner who can and will spend

Cap space is going to one of the biggest assets over the next few years so we're not going to waste it just to get a very very late 1st when one year of Marleau or one year of Staal had essentially the same return.

It has nothing to do with "blocking" anyone.. it has to do with paying someone like $18M just to get a late first. Its not realistic.

Reactions: HBK27

evolutionbaby

Jan 7, 2012
Youre right if it was one year then it wouldnt be a problem. But it's not, its 4 years of a declining asset.

There will absolutely be other opportunities to add more bad contracts. We already know its a flat cap for the next 2-3 years with owners who will be losing a ton of money. We are one of the few teams who

1. Arent contending for a while
2. Have a ton of cap space
3. Have an owner who can and will spend

Cap space is going to one of the biggest assets over the next few years so we're not going to waste it just to get a very very late 1st when one year of Marleau or one year of Staal had essentially the same return.

It has nothing to do with "blocking" anyone.. it has to do with paying someone like $18M just to get a late first. Its not realistic.

There’s a price to collecting assets all the while getting a more than serviceable player. While paying 5 mil for a 4th line center is horrible value, but if we’re at the point where Tyler Johnson is our 4th line center for one year, that’s a pretty good problem. As of now we have one center that projects better than him.

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
There’s a price to collecting assets all the while getting a more than serviceable player. While paying 5 mil for a 4th line center is horrible value, but if we’re at the point where Tyler Johnson is our 4th line center for one year, that’s a pretty good problem. As of now we have one center that projects better than him.
Him being "good" is entirely irrelevant as hes not changing us from being last in the league.

The market as already been set. Its going to take more than a 1st to move that contract unless Tampa puts Kucherov on LTIR until the playoffs

evolutionbaby

Jan 7, 2012
Him being "good" is entirely irrelevant as hes not changing us from being last in the league.

The market as already been set. Its going to take more than a 1st to move that contract unless Tampa puts Kucherov on LTIR until the playoffs
Agreed. With Kuch being hurt I doubt it happens but with this type of season, I think this is the time to do it. Kuch hurt, if Vas misses time, Hedman gets dinged up, we could be looking at pick 20

ShaneinTpa

May 21, 2019
Less than 0% chance Detroit does that deal. Best asset is going to Tampa. This trade is a joke. Detroit doesn’t do that deal even if you remove Lucic, the awful cap dump. Add Foote and at least another 1st.
Read what I said. I didn’t come up with this proposition nor did I agree with it. I merely stated a 3 team deal would possibly be the best way for Tampa to move Johnson, which is now probably moot with Kucherov going on LTIR

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
See like I said, it will work out just fine

Close this ridiculous thread and all others involving Detroit and tampa
This same Joe Smith guy also tweeted an hour later that Tyler Johnson isn’t likely to be traded and will be with Tampa this year. So yes. Close it down. Tyler Johnson isn’t getting traded.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Why TB didn't ID the need for Kuch's surgery in Oct.? Guessing they hedged their bets on the Jan. start date for the season correctly.
The CBA allows Tampa to put a guy on long term IR for a season and come back for the playoffs. It’s within the rules. Interesting way to become cap compliant I don’t recall a single person ever mentioning this particular path. I guess it was bantered about with Stammer but not Kucherov.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad