Zetterberg jumping elbow to the head on Pageau (Oct 30 game)

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
Unless you can provide a better angle, it appears as tho JGP is trying to bank the puck off the glass to get the puck out of his zone. Zetterberg is trying to keep the puck in so Wings can stay in the offensive zone.

Can you provide something else?

So if he is attempting to block a shot off of the glass why doesn't he launch himself into the glass instead of Pageau? I do see players trying to block clearing attempts all the time by launching themselves against the glass to seal the wall, but that is not what is happening in that gif. All the players in the scrum are looking at the same general area, except Zetterberg; he is watching Pageau the whole time.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
:laugh:By the way you talk it,s like you dont understand how to block a clearing attempt off the glass:laugh:So lets see you jump with your back pressed flat against the glass ,but use your arm and elbow to compensate for the lack actual ,blocking surface your presenting.With your back being pressed flat up against the glass.

Its ok i get that the homer is strong in you ,but you really are looking like a fool here:laugh:

Hanks numbers "40" were set to the hit the glass to stop the bank off the glass until JGP's nose got in the way.

Again, can you provide better evidence? As it looks now all OTT fans along with a few neutral fans think this was a headshot. All DET fans and a majority of neutral fans think it wasn't, and NHL deemed it was not a headshot.

Zetterberg is a puck possession player with no priors. Is it more likely he's trying to Matt Cooke random players trying to clear the puck, or is it more likely Zetterberg wants to keep the pressure on in the offensive zone?

The latter is way more reasonable with the angle we have.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
Hanks numbers "40" where set to the hit the glass to stop the bank off the glass until JGP's nose got in the way.

Again, can you provide better evidence? As it looks now all OTT fans along with a few neutral fans think this was a headshot. All DET fans and a majority of neutral fans think it wasn't.

Zetterberg is a puck possession player with no priors. It is more likely he's trying to Matt Cooke random players trying to clear the puck, or is it more likely Zetterberg wants to keep the pressure in the offensive zone?

You clearly struggle with angles. He may have gone in with the thought of blocking the shot or hitting Pageau (not with his elbow mind you), but he changes his trajectory towards Pageau at the last minute. He does not skate in a straight line.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Hanks numbers "40" were set to the hit the glass to stop the bank off the glass until JGP's nose got in the way.

Again, can you provide better evidence? As it looks now all OTT fans along with a few neutral fans think this was a headshot. All DET fans and a majority of neutral fans think it wasn't, and NHL deemed it was not a headshot.

Zetterberg is a puck possession player with no priors. Is it more likely he's trying to Matt Cooke random players trying to clear the puck, or is it more likely Zetterberg wants to keep the pressure on in the offensive zone?

The elbow to JGP head and his busted up and bleeding nose should be enough ,but its ok .As long as we get the same type on non call next time we play you guys .We should be able to do that exact type of puck clearing attempt block.Seeing as you said its done about 100 times a game,and if we smash any detroit player in the face its all good too.:shakehead

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
The elbow to JGP head and his busted up and bleeding nose should be enough ,but its ok .As long as we get the same type on non call next time we play you guys .We should be able to do that exact type of puck clearing attempt block.Seeing as you said its done about 100 times a game,and if we smash any detroit player in the face its all good too.:shakehead

Cowen gets away with cheapshot. Here you go

Enjoy!

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Cowen gets away with cheapshot. Here you go

Enjoy!
Yep,that should have been called .Doesnt make Zetterberg ,and less guilty though .Or your homerish attempt to spin doctor a blatant headshot from your best forward ,while our,s who also doesnt have any record of doing anything of the sort .Doesnt even get the benefit of a warning first ,just an automatic 2 game suspension:nod:

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Zetterberg tries to block clearing attempts exactly like this one 100 times per game. But this time, while coincidentally, a puck is right there as he hits the glass and player (next to the glass). But what he was really trying to hide is his ninja jump attempt to make a well placed UFC-style double wing crossover move that was so cleverly timed out in his mili-second of thinking so NHL doesn't look at it?

That's what you want us to believe?

Tinfoil hat much? :help:

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Yes, dude, I'm the one with the tinfoil hat. I'm the one reaching for any any elaborate explanation I can find to fit the visual evidence so that it matches my (hopelessly biased) worldview.

One more just in case you didnt catch my sarcasm: :laugh:

Forget about your pathetic attempt to create a strawman argument. Your boy made a dirty play. He was pissed off about losing a game and lost his cool, and it came out in him trying to take someone's head off. That's it. Occam's Razor, man. No flying ninja jump needed. And certainly no mental gymnastics needed to explain why he decided to block a clearing attempt by 1. turning his body 2. raising his elbow and 3. jumping (yes, he jumped directly into another player.

"A majority of neutral fans" as you put it seem to agree he isnt a dirty player, but that this is a worthless, dirty play. The player doesnt have to be Matt Cooke to do something stupid or reckless to another player. It goes on every day, and is rarely punished.

The NHL didnt look at it because the dpos are a bunch of worthless ****s with seemingly no baseline standards. They routinely let plays like this go, despite their stated objective to "protect the players". If your fallback in this argument is "well, the NHL didnt take a look at it", as if they are some kind of grand arbiter of what is fair when it comes to player discipline, then you have already lost.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
I'm yet to see a blocked clearing attempt where a player tucks his body into a ball position to make himself as small as possible. On the contrary, to successfully block clearing attempts, you must make yourself as big as possible.

Have you not ever played competitive hockey? No shame if you haven't, but don't try to pretend like you know what you're talking about when you have no real experience.

Ahh, yes, the classic "do you even play?" angle. This argument just gets stronger by the minute.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Where to start:

1. Numerous Detroit fans have expressed their disapointment with the hit, and even suggested further discipline may be warranted.

2. The NHL simply stated that no supplimental discipline was warranted, not that there was no headshot. My guess is they think it was a headshot, and that there is a rule governing headshots. A 2 min penalty is the punishment.

Further to point two, Pageau's bleeding nose was ample proof that there was significant head contact. Why DoPS said it didn't meet the criteria for a fine or suspension, I'm not sure. I can't fathom any explanation of the head contact not being avoidable.

There was no significant movement by Pageau immediately prior to contact, nor did he extend or put him in a position that made head contact on an otherwise legal hit unavoidable.

At the end of the day, it was a needless hit to the head that caused damage.

I suspect, much like Ferraro, Pageau would have finished the game with no ill effects (aside from the bloody nose) had there been time but the game ended one shift later.

Neither guy had prior history, neither player was significantly injured, the biggest difference is optics: Ferraro went down resulting in a delay along with media coverage, and Pageau didn't. Had Pageau stayed down, and the trainer come out, even if he ended up playing the next shift, Z gets a suspension, no doubt in my mind.

Edit: Just to add to the point about the DoPS not thinking it was a headshot:

[Tweet]661239913296355329[/MEDIA]
Here we have media communicating that DoPS beleives the hit wasn't clean. This suggests that they either think he left his feet and it was charging, or it was a headshot. Since we know there was contact to the head, we can probably assume it's the latter, or both.

Last edited:

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Where to start:

1. Numerous Detroit fans have expressed their disapointment with the hit, and even suggested further discipline may be warranted.

2. The NHL simply stated that no supplimental discipline was warranted, not that there was no headshot. My guess is they think it was a headshot, and that there is a rule governing headshots. A 2 min penalty is the punishment.

Further to point two, Pageau's bleeding nose was ample proof that there was significant head contact. Why DoPS said it didn't meet the criteria for a fine or suspension, I'm not sure. I can't fathom any explanation of the head contact not being avoidable.

There was no significant movement by Pageau immediately prior to contact, nor did he extend or put him in a position that made head contact on an otherwise legal hit unavoidable.

At the end of the day, it was a needless hit to the head that caused damage.

I suspect, much like Ferraro, Pageau would have finished the game with no ill effects (aside from the bloody nose) had there been time but the game ended one shift later.

Neither guy had prior history, neither player was significantly injured, the biggest difference is optics: Ferraro went down resulting in a delay along with media coverage, and Pageau didn't. Had Pageau stayed down, and the trainer come out, even if he ended up playing the next shift, Z gets a suspension, no doubt in my mind.

#NHLstarsExemption

don't you know? its been in effect for a long time. Even if Pageau goes down it is 2mins nothing less.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
I am a little puzzled as to why people are confused about this. Without conclusive video evidence showing the point of contact to the head and departure of the feet would you really expect DoPS to overrule the referee on the ice who had the best vantage point? Is that the standard of care you really want out of the league? Maybe conspiracy theories are just more entertaining.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
I am a little puzzled as to why people are confused about this. Without conclusive video evidence showing the point of contact to the head and departure of the feet would you really expect DoPS to overrule the referee on the ice who had the best vantage point? Is that the standard of care you really want out of the league? Maybe conspiracy theories are just more entertaining.

But I thought referees "don't get the benefit of slow motion replay"? That is the major argument in defending missed/wrong calls on the ice.

Suddenly, they have "the best vantage point".

Interesting.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
But I thought referees "don't get the benefit of slow motion replay"? That is the major argument in defending missed/wrong calls on the ice.

Suddenly, they have "the best vantage point".

Interesting.

Shall I quote myself? There is no angle that shows point of impact or departure of his feet. Unless you've been hiding one, of course.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005

Are you looking at the same gif? Can you honestly look at that and conclude he never left his feet simply because you can't seem them? For crying out loud you can briefly see the red stripes on his socks. Ridiculous.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
Shall I quote myself? There is no angle that shows point of impact or departure of his feet. Unless you have one, of course.

Assuming the laws of Earthly physics are considered sound, anyone with a brain who views the video can acknowledge that Zetterberg jumped and fore-armed/elbowed Pageau in the face.

We aren't trying judge whether the puck crossed the goal-line here.

In the past, players have been fined/suspended for calls missed on the ice.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

They've already indicated that they don't think the hit was clean, just that it didn't meet the criteria for further discipline.

We do have conclusive evidence of contact to the head, Pageau's nose bleeding is proof of that.

I'm confused how people can still be in denial that there was a head shot here. I can maybe accept that there is a chance Zetterberg just barely was able to drag his toe along the ice until after initial contact was made, but if your standard of care is assuming refs are infalible from accros the ice, then idk what to tell you.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Yeah...not a smart play by Z. He should get a suspension from this one.

Though the camera angle helps his case in that it doesn't show him leaving his feet. We can only assume he is jumping upwards but that angle has no proof. but as in court, unless you actually see the distance of ice from feet, you can't argue that. As of right now he would only be called on head contact.

Last edited:

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Zetterberg is going to cut off the clearing of the glass. Pageau realizes this and turns to clear it past Zetterberg (not of the glass). Zetterberg sees this, and jumps to get any body part in front of the puck. Puck bounces of his arm, into Pageau's face, Zetterberg follows through into Pageau's face, puck trickles to Kronwall at the blue line after bouncing off Pageau.

It seems pretty clear to me. The changing of the skating line, the jumping, and the arm up are all too keep the puck in (which is exactly what happened). The follow through to the face may have been unwarranted, but if the puck is there too.... I really don't see an intent to headshot there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad