Zetterberg Done For the Tournament (see warning in post #115)

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
He was cleared to play but under pretty close care with their team doctors and their team program. I get a lot of you want the best on best Olympics but this is a pitfall and we are talking millions lost if the Wings narrowly miss out on the playoffs. It is what it is, I don't expect you to feel sympathetic and I feel awful for Sweden but this has a very real impact on Detroit. Don't expect you to care but you could have a little more class in your assertions, this is a terrible blow.
I have nothing about Detroit, but I don't care about their million losses. A guy will miss the olympics because he was playing hurt in Detroit, and all you care about on the Olympics board is your NHL team? How about you have a little more class and keep all your whining to the NHL board or the Wings board?

Russian fans should just be happy Detroit didn't go New York Islanders on both of these guys, they earned the right with all they put in over the years, but Datsyuk and Zetterberg really should not have been taking on additional hockey,
If they were hurt, and it appears Zäta was, they should have been rested by their NHL team doctors. These doctors job is to protect the health of the players, is it not? Why don't you blame them? They seem to be the ones at fault for Zetterberg's injury.

What actually is the agreement in Hockey? I know they changed it in football a few years ago, where teams do get compensation if a player gets injured during an international match. I think this happened after the Arjen Robben injury debacle.
Do football insist on playing their players injured like the NHL teams do, or do they have real doctors who do their job and rest the players?

Kharkov

Jun 28, 2013
Sad thing. But some of these reactions are quite exaggerated. Of course losing Z is bad thing, but it aint like he is the only good Swedish forward.. Sweden still has quite good roster.

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
I am not clear on it, only that there is some insurance here, but just like the NHL insurance I am sure at some point it comes out of pocket on the IOC. You're looking at probably at least a million as 6-8 weeks seems to be the earliest leaking. Now the next part is even hard to type and God we hope it isn't the case, but say he is forced into surgery and just can't get healthy backs tricky. With most NHL contracts they are only insured through 5-7 years, part of the reason for the hill the NHL will die on. In any event the Wings would likely battle the IOC if this turns career ending and the fight would get awfully nasty. Now I don't believe that is going to happen, but that is very real with any of these guys. Insuring a guy like Crosby for the Olympics is a substantial risk for the IOC, should we ever witness a career ending type injury this would turn brutal because any of the guys on substantial length deals are likely uninsured for decent portions so it would be quite the court battle.
I would think the NHL's habit of playing their players injured will not help them if they ever end up in court.

Lugaid

Hajlajtreelmål!
May 28, 2008
Stockholm
Any idea who Sweden will replace him with? Both in the lineup and on the roster.

It's said Berglund will take his line-up change, and I guess they'll bring in Marcus Johansson to cover up Berglunds place. Or something. At least we have some depth, but yeah, key piece removed, and a key piece we really needed against Canada/Russia.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
So now both Sweden and Finland have their 2 arguably best forwards out of the tournament?

Slovakia also has their top-2 forward out, Czech's left out their top players and Canada has Stamkos out.

Yeah best players participating in this tournament indeed.

Lugaid

Hajlajtreelmål!
May 28, 2008
Stockholm
Sad thing. But some of these reactions are quite exaggerated. Of course losing Z is bad thing, but it aint like he is the only good Swedish forward.. Sweden still has quite good roster.

Yeah, but the thing is, this is such a short tournament and you need those key players and leadership. I'm not saying we can't win gold, but any chances we had from the beginning are now heavily, heavily reduced.

DaveH

Oct 9, 2011

Sweden has a good roster, yes. Losing your first line C, and then losing your "second" line C is another thing.

I was tempted to compare what would happen to the other countries if they'd lose their two most important C's, but I'm sure you are smart enough to understand without me telling you.

Kharkov

Jun 28, 2013
I was tempted to compare what would happen to the other countries if they'd lose their two most important C's, but I'm sure you are smart enough to understand without me telling you.
I know. I'm finnish. :)

Sweden has still good chance to medals and even to gold.

sob

Jul 25, 2003
Finland
Visit site
Yeah, but the thing is, this is such a short tournament and you need those key players and leadership. I'm not saying we can't win gold, but any chances we had from the beginning are now heavily, heavily reduced.

Sometimes, bad news like this make your team stronger. Every player realizes he needs to step up and find an extra-gear, resulting a great team effort.

I would definitely not rule team Sweden out.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I have nothing about Detroit, but I don't care about their million losses. A guy will miss the olympics because he was playing hurt in Detroit, and all you care about on the Olympics board is your NHL team? How about you have a little more class and keep all your whining to the NHL board or the Wings board?

If they were hurt, and it appears Zäta was, they should have been rested by their NHL team doctors. These doctors job is to protect the health of the players, is it not? Why don't you blame them? They seem to be the ones at fault for Zetterberg's injury.

Do football insist on playing their players injured like the NHL teams do, or do they have real doctors who do their job and rest the players?

I said it was a rough blow for Zetterberg, Sweden and Detroit which it is. Not the one pretending it doesn't not suck for all those three entities.

Zetterberg was healthy enough to be playing and was under close watch. He gets on a ten hour flight plays a game and his back goes out. It happened at the Olympics, I really don't think he should have been taking a 10 hour flight, but he was healthy enough and playing to the point blocking a guy that gives everything he has to the organization was out of the question.

Trust me I talk about firing Piet Van Zant weekly on the Detroit board, so I am not enamored at all with our trainers, doctors or physios.

They pay their players depending on contract, but yes most collect checks even when injured. Not all, but a guy like Zetterberg wouldn't get cut in the KHL or any other league because of injury. Just like most major European stars don't get cut in football outright. What do you think Barca wasn't paying Messi, ManU paying Rooney or Van Persie all year? There was a reason we referenced why they have targeted international play after the Robben debacle. Holden is currently getting paid by the USMNT for the second lengthy amount of time instead of Bolton. That is why these guys have contracts, now like you said in court they might argue guaranteed contracts of his length shouldn't be expected to be covered or maybe that isn't in the agreement, but they are likely forking over some money either way. Those guys play with knocks, and they weren't the team playing him when he got injured with a much more severe diagnosis. They have an agreement on some of this just curious to see how it plays out, part of this is a running around trying to lay the blame somewhere else so they don't have to foot the bill. Fact is when he boarded the plane to Russia he was in playing shape, he certainly is not now.

In any event this was a part of the negotiations, I am sure we will find out more in terms of who owes what once this picture gets a little clearer.

Last edited:

DaveH

Oct 9, 2011
Sometimes, bad news like this make your team stronger. Every player realizes he needs to step up and find an extra-gear, resulting a great team effort.

I would definitely not rule team Sweden out.

You cant rule anyone out. Look at Belarus - Sweden.

What you can do, is look at things logically, and understand that Canada, USA and Russia now are far stronger than us.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Is it confirmed he is done for sure?

I hear some Swedes are hoping to have him back for the quarterfinals.

Last time he had this he didn't skate for two weeks and initial reports having him dealing with a lot more pain, for instance he wasn't bed ridden last time which is some of what is being reported today.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
By the way have a feeling if Jimmy Ericsson gets hurt they pay some or all of his salary in the SHL during the injury. But that for instance is probably much easier for the IOC to get full insurance coverage on.

Kharkov

Jun 28, 2013
And what did you say about Finland's chances when you lost Valteri and Mikko?
As an single players losing those two are big blow. But would I rank Finland a lot higher if we had those two? No. Same thing here: ofc losing Zetterberg and H. Sedin does make Sweden weaker. But does these two players make so big difference that without them Sweden isn't medal contender? I dont think so.

DaveH

Oct 9, 2011
As an single players losing those two are big blow. But would I rank Finland a lot higher if we had those two? No. Same thing here: ofc losing Zetterberg and H. Sedin does make Sweden weaker. But does these two players make so big difference that without them Sweden isn't medal contender? I dont think so.

So, you still think you would have gotten that silver in Turin, even if Selänne and Koivu had been Injured?
Yeah, didnt think so.

The Swedish players thought they could go for the gold, which is great.
We can still have a good tourney, yes. Gold, no. Not unless some of the other teams screw up really badly - something we would'nt have had to rely on with Sedin and Z in the team.

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
They pay there players depending on contract, but yes most collect checks even when injured. Not all, but a guy like Zetterberg wouldn't get cut in the KHL or any other league because of injury. Just like most major European stars don't get cut in football outright. What do you think Barca wasn't paying Messi, ManU paying Rooney or Van Persie all year?
I have no idea what you're getting at. Of course Barça pay their players, and of course injured players should continue to get paid (if not by his employer then by some social insurance or whatever it's called but do they even have that in the US ?).

Those guys play with knocks, and they weren't the team playing him when he got injured with a much more severe diagnosis.
He has a more severe diagnosis now because he was being played hurt before. There is an obvious link between the two.

NHL teams have a long history of playing their players hurt or injured. It is very common for a player to be deemed "injured" by his NHL team and thus unavailable for the Worlds the minute the team is out of the NHL playoffs. Or just look at ViÅ¡ňovský, he's "injured" and can't play in Sochi but his team had no problems playing him just the day before. I'm not sure he didn't actually play a further NHL game after he was ruled out for Slovakia.

I can't imagine a court disregarding that.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Could see that coming, although it is still a disappointment.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00