Zetterberg Done For the Tournament (see warning in post #115)

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Marie Lehmann ‏@svtlehmann 9m
"Henrik couldn't get out of bed this morning", says Team Sweden GM Tommy Boustedt.
Zetterberg rooming with #RedWings teammate Gustav Nyquist

Yeah not what we wanted to hear in Detroit. Guessing the 10 hour flight didn't help him, has been dealing with this since US thanksgiving.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Henrik Sedin out, Zetterberg out, Franzén out... just great. But, it's not like this is unsual, it's always like this when it's time for the olympics.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
And this is why NHL players shouldn't participate in the Olympics. Holland must be super pissed right now.

He's been playing with a bad back most of the season. He missed all of December, and after he came back in January it was obvious his back was still bothering him and he was playing hurt.

If there were no Olympics Z's back would still have eventually gone again in the NHL.

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
Henrik Sedin out, Zetterberg out, Franzén out... just great. But, it's not like this is unsual, it's always like this when it's time for the olympics.
They really should cancel the NHL season in olympic years.

chauron

Jan 5, 2014
Lower back problems are a b****. Hopefully he recovers to rest of the season in NHL.

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
He's been playing with a bad back most of the season. He missed all of December, and after he came back in January it was obvious his back was still bothering him and he was playing hurt.

If there were no Olympics Z's back would still have eventually gone again in the NHL.
Detroit played him injured and their fans still whine about him missing the rest of the season?

Kent

Apr 16, 2009
This is what 82 games + post season will do to some of the players.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Henrik Sedin out, Zetterberg out, Franzén out...

Yeah, so sad to see Sweden's great and players taken out :(
I hope Zetterberg takes enough time to perform surgery and fully recover, otherwise he can really screw his health up.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Probably, cannot help but think a ten hour flight was the kiss of death to this. But I know that is just speculation but I cannot imagine it helped.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Detroit played him injured and their fans still whine about him missing the rest of the season?

He was cleared to play but under pretty close care with their team doctors and their team program. I get a lot of you want the best on best Olympics but this is a pitfall and we are talking millions lost if the Wings narrowly miss out on the playoffs. It is what it is, I don't expect you to feel sympathetic and I feel awful for Sweden but this has a very real impact on Detroit. Don't expect you to care but you could have a little more class in your assertions, this is a terrible blow. Russian fans should just be happy Detroit didn't go New York Islanders on both of these guys, they earned the right with all they put in over the years, but Datsyuk and Zetterberg really should not have been taking on additional hockey, especially with what has been going on this year. I don't fault them for trying it, but it certainly stings a lot as a die-hard Wings fan.

Wonder what kind of battle the IOC and NHL (Wings) will have over this. He had some issues with it, but the severe flare up happened under Olympic watch. My guess is they are paying his salary until he is healthy enough to resume playing hockey, if they opt for surgery that could be well into next season.

Koempel

Mar 8, 2010
Leuven
He was cleared to play but under pretty close care with their team doctors and their team program. I get a lot of you want the best on best Olympics but this is a pitfall and we are talking millions lost if the Wings narrowly miss out on the playoffs. It is what it is, I don't expect you to feel sympathetic and I feel awful for Sweden but this has a very real impact on Detroit. Don't expect you to care but you could have a little more class in your assertions, this is a terrible blow. Russian fans should just be happy Detroit didn't go New York Islanders on both of these guys, they earned the right with all they put in over the years, but Datsyuk and Zetterberg really should not have been taking on additional hockey, especially with what has been going on this year. I don't fault them for trying it, but it certainly stings a lot as a die-hard Wings fan.

Wonder what kind of battle the IOC and NHL (Wings) will have over this. He had some issues with it, but the severe flair up happened under Olympic watch. My guess is they are paying his salary until he is healthy enough to resume playing hockey, if they opt for surgery that could be well into next season.

What actually is the agreement in Hockey? I know they changed it in football a few years ago, where teams do get compensation if a player gets injured during an international match. I think this happened after the Arjen Robben injury debacle.

Lugaid

Hajlajtreelmål!
May 28, 2008
Stockholm
Well, there goes our chance at the gold, pretty much. Henrik Sedin we could live without, but players like Zetterberg are sooo important in a tournament like this, and with his recent form and everything.

DaveH

Oct 9, 2011
Incredible. This is just so sad.

I've been waiting for this tournament for 4 years (after last olympic debacle), now the dreams of gold, which of course were slim from the beginning, are ruined.
You dont lose your two best 1st line centers (and Franzen, which would've brought something we are missing) and make it through the olympics. You just dont. :shakehead

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
What actually is the agreement in Hockey? I know they changed it in football a few years ago, where teams do get compensation if a player gets injured during an international match. I think this happened after the Arjen Robben injury debacle.

I am not clear on it, only that there is some insurance here, but just like the NHL insurance I am sure at some point it comes out of pocket on the IOC. You're looking at probably at least a million as 6-8 weeks seems to be the earliest leaking. Now the next part is even hard to type and God we hope it isn't the case, but say he is forced into surgery and just can't get healthy backs tricky. With most NHL contracts they are only insured through 5-7 years, part of the reason for the hill the NHL will die on. In any event the Wings would likely battle the IOC if this turns career ending and the fight would get awfully nasty. Now I don't believe that is going to happen, but that is very real with any of these guys. Insuring a guy like Crosby for the Olympics is a substantial risk for the IOC, should we ever witness a career ending type injury this would turn brutal because any of the guys on substantial length deals are likely uninsured for decent portions so it would be quite the court battle.

I think in football they only kick in a certain portion anyway, I remember the US federation wanted the Dutch to pay out some of Holden's because of the reckless tackle that wrecked his leg. It probably gets very complicated, but should we witness a career ender, I think the movement towards stopping the Olympic participation will reach a new level especially if they have to fight with the IOC over paying out the duration of a guaranteed contract.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Well, there goes our chance at the gold, pretty much. Henrik Sedin we could live without, but players like Zetterberg are sooo important in a tournament like this, and with his recent form and everything.

Yeah sadly he seemed to be turning a corner lately in terms of looking a lot healthier, The last time he looked real bad with the back was on their West coast road swing, once again maybe the flights. He did seem to be rounding the corner and is actually having one of his best seasons. You really cannot replace what he brings, nobody outworks him and so much of his game is physical that a continuing back injury is very scary as he uses it so superbly to protect the puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad