Zetterberg admits cap circumvention

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Crosby's contract doesn't have any real throwaway seasons on it; the lowest year he's got is at 3 million. I have no idea who else you might be referring to, as the rest of the Pens team is on contracts that were signed under the current CBA.

The teams that really benefited from cap circumvention were the Hawks and the Kings (Kings moreso to dig themselves out of a hole than any particularly egregious contracts).

Ya malkins contract is like 9million (or whatever his cap hit is) straight across the board.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I haven't read through the whole thread so idk if this has been discussed, but do you think the NHL is allowing teams that signed these cap circumventing contracts before the rule change to LTIR those players when they want to retire to get out of the contract penalty? Look at Hossa, everyone and their dog knows his excuse is BS but the league isn't gonna care. I wonder if Zetterberg and whoever else has such a contract may be able to get away with it too.

Its kinda dumb the league retroactively enforced the rule change on these contracts in the first place so maybe allowing the ones that were signed to be grandfathered out without punishment... unofficially at least.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I haven't read through the whole thread so idk if this has been discussed, but do you think the NHL is allowing teams that signed these cap circumventing contracts before the rule change to LTIR those players when they want to retire to get out of the contract penalty? Look at Hossa, everyone and their dog knows his excuse is BS but the league isn't gonna care. I wonder if Zetterberg and whoever else has such a contract may be able to get away with it too.

Its kinda dumb the league retroactively enforced the rule change on these contracts in the first place so maybe allowing the ones that were signed to be grandfathered out without punishment... unofficially at least.

Dave Feschuk wrote an article on the matter and this quote in his article I found the most interesting:

The collective agreement allows for the league to employ a neutral physician to challenge a club’s determination that a player is unfit to play for the purposes of using the salary-cap relief afforded by LTIR. There’s no indication the league has ever done such a thing here.

Like the Hossa matter, I don't think the NHL looks that hard into LTIR.

So, for the likes of Zetterberg, I don't expect to see the Wings take a cap hit for him. He will likely end up on LTIR.

For Luongo, it would not surprise me to see him sometime during his final 3 years of his contract end up traded back to Vancouver, where he is put on LTIR so that the Canucks can avoid eating the potential $8.5 million of cap-recapture if they feel that they need the cap space.

As for Sid, I have a hard time believing that he will be playing for $3 million a season when he's 37/38. That's a long way from now as he's 30. Remember, he signed that deal when he was coming off a couple of injury plagued seasons due to head and neck injuries. He got security from this deal. Might have thought, at the rate he was going, he wasn't going to be able to play as long as he hoped.

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
lets be real, the leagues a joke. owners cried for a salary cap which caused fans to lose a season and now they find ways to circumvent it. (extended contracts, ltir, whatever scam they thing of next....its all bogus)

its absolute garbage.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
lets be real, the leagues a joke. owners cried for a salary cap which caused fans to lose a season and now they find ways to circumvent it. (extended contracts, ltir, whatever scam they thing of next....its all bogus)

its absolute garbage.

I'm repeating myself. The owners are too dumb to follow the spirit of their own rules. During the 04/05 lockout I actually thought that the owners were not unreasonable (even thought the cap was really really low, and the rollback was questionable). The one after was just a joke. If you don't want to lose money, don't spend it. Better yet, if money is a concern, don't get a team. The NHL is not their main source of income. It's a sideshow.

Last edited:

Creativero

Jul 17, 2015
Exactly. If Keith was paid like a normal player, they would have never won those cups.

Crosby only took less than he was worth because he has 1000 years of BS at the end of his contract.

If you take off the last however many years and only do the first 8, he'd have a Kane looking contract. This means they can't afford Kessel, and likely never win a cup.

What are you talking about? Do you really think Crosby plans on retiring at 36? He's going to play out the contract and be massively under paid for a few years. Also, he's making $12 million this year so he actually is making more than you say he's worth. Crosby's contract is a hometown discount, not cap circumvention.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Wake up people, you are watching an entertainment business, not a competitive sports league. Whatever goes for earning money, meh. That is the primary decision of everything. You can hold on to any merit of honour, it's not there, it's a fasade. It's an entertainment business, just like Disney,the NBA, the NFL, the MLB or the MSL.

Sure, there's cheating and weird business going on in other sports and leagues as well, but the difference is they want to win through cheating. You're watching "sports" trying to make as much profit as possible through cheating, in general. There are deviations, but that's the way it is.

I would still summarize both versions are a complete joke. One side is openly competitive, one keeps the illusion of real competitiveness, both are a symtom of the real problem that surpasses the actual problems by far. Just a symtom, that's the easiest way to look at it.

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
Crosby is on a cap circumventing contract. That's just a fact.

Not exactly. That would be an opinion.

If he plays all years of his contract, there is no circumventing taking place.

Crosby only took less than he was worth because he has 1000 years of BS at the end of his contract.

If you take off the last however many years and only do the first 8, he'd have a Kane looking contract. This means they can't afford Kessel, and likely never win a cup.

1000 years? He has three where he's well under market value. Do you really think he's retiring a month before his 34th birthday?

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
To me, any team that had to use these contracts to win it takes away from their accomplishments.

To me, the last two Penguins cups aren't that impressive and don't really count. They have two amazing players worth 11M a piece on cap circumventing contracts (Gives them easily 10M in capspace) playing against teams with their best players on 8 years deals with huge cap hits.

The worst part is, Detroit is bad now so they won't even be truly punished unless they get the NJ treatment and put at the end of the first round next year.

That's pretty ironic coming from a fan of a team who coined the term "robidas is." Not to mention this stuff going on with lupul. Not to mention the "Marleau will never play that 3rs year. They will robidas island him and get him off the books."

No cap circumvention there eh? No way. Totally legit.

*slow clap*

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

its absolute garbage.

that assumes that the owners are all one group. There are many owners that hate any kind of limit on spending, and many others that want those limits badly. The ones that hate the limits are the ones abusing the system wherever they can. The ones who like the limits cry to Bettman.

And btw, the ones that like the limits have the most power, because if they win, then the league makes more money and it becomes an attractive league for expansion franchises. I doubt Vegas would have given the NHL a chance if it didn't have a hard cap and the will to enforce it.

And yes, they do enforce it. Zetterberg is anticipating the end of his contract when he won't be playing, and Detroit will get a cap penalty. That cap penalty is the league's attempt to address circumvention deals. We haven't seen a team get dinged with this yet, but maybe we will. We are just now getting to the point where these circumvention deals are ending (for the most part).

We'll see how Zetterberg's deal ends, as well as Luongo's, Weber's and others.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
that assumes that the owners are all one group. There are many owners that hate any kind of limit on spending, and many others that want those limits badly. The ones that hate the limits are the ones abusing the system wherever they can. The ones who like the limits cry to Bettman.

And btw, the ones that like the limits have the most power, because if they win, then the league makes more money and it becomes an attractive league for expansion franchises. I doubt Vegas would have given the NHL a chance if it didn't have a hard cap and the will to enforce it.

And yes, they do enforce it. Zetterberg is anticipating the end of his contract when he won't be playing, and Detroit will get a cap penalty. That cap penalty is the league's attempt to address circumvention deals. We haven't seen a team get dinged with this yet, but maybe we will. We are just now getting to the point where these circumvention deals are ending (for the most part).

We'll see how Zetterberg's deal ends, as well as Luongo's, Weber's and others.

Hossa was to be the first one where the player makes $1 million in salary. He's on LTIR with a skin allegery to his equipment, which happened to just become unbearable in the first year of four years he was to be paid $1 million to play hockey rather the $7 million he made for years and the $4 million he was paid last season.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
why doesn't the league make players earn the same amount every year? that way no cap circumvention could happen. cap hit = aav = salary

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad