Zetterberg admits cap circumvention

BomaLightDevils

Jan 15, 2011
Copenhagen
“The only reason why we wrote such a long contact was because of the payroll," Zetterberg told Swedish newspaper, Aftonbladet, as translated by the Detroit Free Press. "It is quite obvious that you try to fool the system.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I mean, does that matter? It was cap circumvention then and it still is cap circumvention right now. Whether he confirms it or not... Well, I don't really think it makes a difference. Good for him, though. I guess.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
As a team finally with good players, I wish we could still sign these contracts lol

Or the cap not being a thing. I could go for that too.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
When all these players were signing these decade long contracts, was there anyone that *didn't* think it was circumvention? We don't need anyone confirming this stuff, it's just known. What next? Kessel confirming that he was taking a shot at Simmons with the hot dog picture?

markog

Apr 4, 2008
Slovenia
I mean, does that matter? It was cap circumvention then and it still is cap circumvention right now. Whether he confirms it or not... Well, I don't really think it makes a difference. Good for him, though. I guess.

It matters if only 1 team got punished and others got away with it.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
To me, any team that had to use these contracts to win it takes away from their accomplishments.

To me, the last two Penguins cups aren't that impressive and don't really count. They have two amazing players worth 11M a piece on cap circumventing contracts (Gives them easily 10M in capspace) playing against teams with their best players on 8 years deals with huge cap hits.

The worst part is, Detroit is bad now so they won't even be truly punished unless they get the NJ treatment and put at the end of the first round next year.

Rufus

Letangarang
May 27, 2014
To me, any team that had to use these contracts to win it takes away from their accomplishments.

To me, the last two Penguins cups aren't that impressive and don't really count. They have two amazing players worth 11M a piece on cap circumventing contracts (Gives them easily 10M in capspace) playing against teams with their best players on 8 years deals with huge cap hits.

The worst part is, Detroit is bad now so they won't even be truly punished unless they get the NJ treatment and put at the end of the first round next year.

So you think Chicago's three cups aren't that impressive and don't really count too?

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
He is pretty much saying that he will play for 2 more years as well.

Rookie mistake of him not to mention his equipment allergy.

TheStroker

Jun 13, 2012
USA
Maybe it's just me but I have no problem with these cap circumvention contracts. Those were the rules, and teams used them to their advantage. How is that any different then what corporations do? Ever tried to get out of a traffic/parking ticket by finding little loop holes? What about going to a store and using a loophole to get something for cheaper, or using a tax break loop hole to your advantage? Literally all of us actively seek out, and do these things on a daily basis. Yet we look down on GMs for finding these loop hools and exploiting them.

The only thing I had an issue with when it came to these type of contracts was the league stepping in and implementing the amnesty buyout period or being allowed to waive certain penalties depending on the circumstance. If teams sign those contracts, they should have to make their bed then lie in it.

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
Thank you sir. Exactly my point, all these teams should be punished like New Jersey was! It dosent matter if you cap circumvent a little or a lot both things should get punished.

They sorta tried with recapture, but everyone is going to get LTIRetired. They punished Jersey for making them look stupid. Never should have happened.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
So you think Chicago's three cups aren't that impressive and don't really count too?

Keiths and Hossas contracts are a huge reason they won those cups IMO.

If Crosby had a cap hit close to what hes worth in the 11-12m range they probably cant afford Kessel.

markog

Apr 4, 2008
Slovenia
Maybe it's just me but I have no problem with these cap circumvention contracts. Those were the rules, and teams used them to their advantage. How is that any different then what corporations do? Ever tried to get out of a traffic/parking ticket by finding little loop holes? What about going to a store and using a loophole to get something for cheaper, or using a tax break loop hole to your advantage? Literally all of us actively seek out, and do these things on a daily basis. Yet we look down on GMs for finding these loop hools and exploiting them.

The only thing I had an issue with when it came to these type of contracts was the league stepping in and implementing the amnesty buyout period or being allowed to waive certain penalties depending on the circumstance. If teams sign those contracts, they should have to make their bed then lie in it.

Then don't punish NJ (because of that they lost a high 1st rounder).

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Hopefully the NHL reaches out to the CDC.

There seems to be a growing epidemic spreading around the league of players being allergic to suiting up once their contracts get to the cap circumventing years.

Remington 700

Jul 11, 2007
South Park, PA

This is one of the dumbest posts I've ever seen. Malkin's contract is 8 years. And Crosby taking less than he's worth is not circumventing the cap.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014

this is actually such a dumb opinion

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility

Exactly. If Keith was paid like a normal player, they would have never won those cups.

This is one of the dumbest posts I've ever seen. Malkin's contract is 8 years. And Crosby taking less than he's worth is not circumventing the cap.

Crosby only took less than he was worth because he has 1000 years of BS at the end of his contract.

If you take off the last however many years and only do the first 8, he'd have a Kane looking contract. This means they can't afford Kessel, and likely never win a cup.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Their first one was legit but the 2017 Cup should have an asterisk next to it after how badly the refs screwed Nashville on not 1, but 2 crucial goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad