Confirmed with Link: Zemgus Girgensons signs deal: 2 yrs, 1.6M AAV

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
Really had his career upended the past couple years. As long as he's given a fair shot he'll get himself back on track. Guaranteed.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Pretty close to exactly what I thought. I had 2 years, 1.5 per.

Great to Girgs back. Always have a soft spot for him. Want him to be part of a champion here.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Great number for us, hope he earns a big raise in 2 years.

Put him on Jack's wing. Let him do the dirty work.

JamieWalker

Nov 17, 2016
nhlnumbers has it at 1.15 for '17, and 1.6 for '18

sorry that was this past year 1.15 '17

Last edited:

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
About what I expected.

Housley needs to establish early on how Girgensons will be used and relay that message to Girgensons.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
So everybody is signed for the 17-18 season then?

We still have 7m in cap space. Wonder if we don't sign Jagr or someone to a 1 year deal.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
So everybody is signed for the 17-18 season then?

We still have 7m in cap space. Wonder if we don't sign Jagr or someone to a 1 year deal.

Bonuses for Eichel and Reinhart will eat up 4-5

Perfect deal for this player. 2 years was critical

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
About what I expected.

Housley needs to establish early on how Girgensons will be used and relay that message to Girgensons.

This. Disco lost Gus early and never got him back. Remember the joy that this guy had for just being on the ice? The gusto? Yeah, would love to see the staff tap back into that guy.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
This. Disco lost Gus early and never got him back. Remember the joy that this guy had for just being on the ice? The gusto? Yeah, would love to see the staff tap back into that guy.

Yeah. I think he also really wanted to show he could be that checking line guy (thank you Byslma for being inflexible on roster construction...), and that just sapped everything from the rest of his game. He could be the perfect guy as a winger on a lineup with Eichel-ROR-Reinhart down the middle. Let him be the glue guy, drive the net with reckless abandon, and use his natural instincts more. He could create so much space for the skill guys.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I was pretty sure they were going to have difficulty signing him. Glad that wasn't the case. Two years is even more of a surprise. He must know there isn't a better opportunity for him anywhere else in the league.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Always had a soft spot for Girgs, nice deal. Hope he can turn it around with a fresh start.

I do have a tough time seeing his role in the NHL though. If he's a hard hitting bottom 6 energy guy, I don't think he really has the grit for it. Gets knocked around an awful lot. If he's a top 6 power forward type, I think he lacks both the grit and the offensive chops (consistently; he certainly has a highlight reel goal or two on his resume though). Is he a strong defensive player? I admittedly don't follow the fancy stats much. Maybe he's more of an all-purpose player... like a really, really poor mans ROR? Not tough in the conventional sense but skilled, dogged on the puck and difficult to play against when he's tuned in.

In a perfect situation (which his pro career has seen very little of to this point)... what kind of player is Girgs?

Last edited:

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Great number for us, hope he earns a big raise in 2 years.

Put him on Jack's wing. Let him do the dirty work.

He doesn't have the speed or finishing touch to be in the top 6 IMO - Kane is the best option for Eichel's wing and is just as capable of using the body to battle for pucks as Girgensons.

About what I expected.

Putting Girgensons as the LW on a line centered by Larsson with Pominville on the other wing for a strong forechecking, 2-way checking line would be my first choice. Larsson and Girgensons had some brief chemistry as linemates in Rochester and both play a strong defensive game, have good faceoff skills and can agitate top lines of opponents. The trio could be as effective as the Foligno-Larsson-Gionta line was, with Girgensons doing what Foligno did and Pominville picking up what Gionta did.

I'm dead-set against any scenario that demotes Larsson to 4th line minutes as he proved that he can handle more responsibilities that that role would limit him to.

A lot of that had to do with the rapport Girgensons had with Nolan, who championed the underdog, us-against-the-world mantra. I think that emotional approach Nolan used with Latvia and the Sabres helped Girgensons overachieve those two years - but he's shown that he's more suited for a two-way checking role than any offensive-minded role IMO.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
He doesn't have the speed or finishing touch to be in the top 6 IMO - Kane is the best option for Eichel's wing and is just as capable of using the body to battle for pucks as Girgensons.

Putting Girgensons as the LW on a line centered by Larsson with Pominville on the other wing for a strong forechecking, 2-way checking line would be my first choice. Larsson and Girgensons had some brief chemistry as linemates in Rochester and both play a strong defensive game, have good faceoff skills and can agitate top lines of opponents. The trio could be as effective as the Foligno-Larsson-Gionta line was, with Girgensons doing what Foligno did and Pominville picking up what Gionta did.

I'm dead-set against any scenario that demotes Larsson to 4th line minutes as he proved that he can handle more responsibilities that that role would limit him to.

A lot of that had to do with the rapport Girgensons had with Nolan, who championed the underdog, us-against-the-world mantra. I think that emotional approach Nolan used with Latvia and the Sabres helped Girgensons overachieve those two years - but he's shown that he's more suited for a two-way checking role than any offensive-minded role IMO.

Uh, what? Girgs is plenty fast.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad