Confirmed with Link: Zemgus Girgensons signs deal: 2 yrs, 1.6M AAV

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I was pretty sure they were going to have difficulty signing him. Glad that wasn't the case. Two years is even more of a surprise. He must know there isn't a better opportunity for him anywhere else in the league.

He was a RFA coming into the offseason. He had no leverage and knew it, as evidenced by his not filing for arbitration. He will be a RFA at the end of his contract. His deal is pretty unsurprising in his situation. I also have no idea why you think "a better opportunity with another team" even factors into the situation.

Last edited:

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Seems fair. If we get Nolan Zemgus under Housley it'll be a great deal. If we continue to get Bylsma Zemgus under Housley it won't be ideal but doesn't really hurt us, either.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
He was a RFA coming into the offseason. He had no leverage and knew it, as evidenced by his not filing for arbitration. He will be a RFA at the end of his contract. His deal is pretty unsurprising in his situation. I also have no idea why you think "a better opportunity with another team" even factors into the situation.
I thought holding out and asking to be traded was not out of the realm of possibility.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He doesn't have the speed or finishing touch to be in the top 6 IMO - Kane is the best option for Eichel's wing and is just as capable of using the body to battle for pucks as Girgensons.

Putting Girgensons as the LW on a line centered by Larsson with Pominville on the other wing for a strong forechecking, 2-way checking line would be my first choice. Larsson and Girgensons had some brief chemistry as linemates in Rochester and both play a strong defensive game, have good faceoff skills and can agitate top lines of opponents. The trio could be as effective as the Foligno-Larsson-Gionta line was, with Girgensons doing what Foligno did and Pominville picking up what Gionta did.

I'm dead-set against any scenario that demotes Larsson to 4th line minutes as he proved that he can handle more responsibilities that that role would limit him to.

A lot of that had to do with the rapport Girgensons had with Nolan, who championed the underdog, us-against-the-world mantra. I think that emotional approach Nolan used with Latvia and the Sabres helped Girgensons overachieve those two years - but he's shown that he's more suited for a two-way checking role than any offensive-minded role IMO.

Having gusto has nothing to do with it being an offensive or defensive role. I just want to see him smile when he's on the ice, have some fun in whatever role he is cast in.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Fine deal. Gives Zemgus a few months to affect Kane & Poo's futures in Buffalo or challenge for a remaining C spot. Alternately, easy enough contract to trade.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
http://thehockeywriters.com/buffalo-sabres-zemgus-girgensons-top-six/

Some good points here. We may not know exactly what we've got in Zemgus right now, but we've seen glimpses of how good he can be. There's a good argument to be made that he's struggles have come from overthinking things. He's probably a lot better when he just trusts his instincts. I think giving him a shot with ROR and Okposo seems like a good idea.

To go a bit off topic, I believe that the arguments made here about Girgensons struggles in Bylsma's system also fit the case of Bogosian. They were both clearly better off with Ted Nolan and they've both looked uncomfortable and kind of like they're overthinking things. This is why I'm hopeful that the change in management will have a big impact on the team overall, but on these two players in particular.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad