Zemgus for Captain

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Z looks like a poor man's Landeskog, I'm loving it.

That said, all the captaincy threads were never the best thing, we just don't know what goes on in the lockerroom...

I'm sure most of Buffalo fans were shocked when the players voted Hecht captain in 2007.
We. Just. Don't. Know.

(I do know that I personally dislike having a Steve Ott as captain though)

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
but it is a precursor for a job in the NHL and unless he drastically improves his scoring production or defensive prowess he's not somebody I want on the roster long term.

If he scores 50 points a year and 70 goals are scored against him he has negative value.

I'll go out on a limb and say he won't have trouble maintaining a job in the NHL...

But I understand what you're saying regarding play in the D zone, believe me. But the captaincy and his need to get better in his own zone aren't tied together like you implied.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Captain? He'll no, not yet at his age.

Plenty of vets around to assume the C.

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
Gotta love HFboards and the peeps who can't help but jump the gun on just about everything.
No way! Just not true.

Oh, where do you guys think McDavid should live? I'm guessing he'll choose a house in Clarence eventually, but maybe a condo near downtown in his first couple of years. He could room with Reinhart and Eichel!

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Captain? He'll no, not yet at his age.

Plenty of vets around to assume the C.

Let's be real here: relative to other teams the Sabres do not have plenty of vets going forward, and there's nary a one more than 1/3rd of Sabres fans would feel very good about making captain. It's impossible to know where things stand next season but the captaincy options are very underwhelming.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Too soon in his Career. He does have all the qualities I want in a Captain of my team.

I would say at least 4-5 years from now he may be ready for the captaincy, he would be 24-25 years old at that point.

Right now, just let him get used to the league. No need to put pressure on the kid especially the next few years when they need to let their young guys develop together and create a core for future guys to come into.

Edit: As for who I would choose as captain, if not him, when just considering the kids, Pysyk.

Last edited:

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
In all honesty, I bet he'll wear an "A" and one of the guys we draft at or towards the top of the next two drafts will get the "C." All in due time...

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I'll go out on a limb and say he won't have trouble maintaining a job in the NHL...

But I understand what you're saying regarding play in the D zone, believe me. But the captaincy and his need to get better in his own zone aren't tied together like you implied.

Personally, if I was voting on a captain, I'd want someone who plays in all situations. A guy who will be on the ice if you need a goal in the final minute or are protecting a lead in the final minute. PP, ES, PK, etc. Girgensons should develop into that kind of player, Hodgson probably not. But Girgensons needs to actually develop into that kind of player before he gets the C.

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
Agreed. He works his ass off, but there is a ton of development still to come, and he maxes out well below the superstar threshold.

What is a "superstar" in your world?

Of all the young forward prospects currently in the organization, Zemgus is by far the most promising in my opinion.

No, he won't ever be a 50 goal scorer, but so what.

Do you consider Bergeron or Krejci superstars?

Zemgus is going to be a player like them, and you can't have too many of those on your team, if you are interested in winning Cups.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Personally, if I was voting on a captain, I'd want someone who plays in all situations. A guy who will be on the ice if you need a goal in the final minute or are protecting a lead in the final minute. PP, ES, PK, etc. Girgensons should develop into that kind of player, Hodgson probably not. But Girgensons needs to actually develop into that kind of player before he gets the C.

Agree with this. My ideal captain is a guy who can be relied on on the ice in any situation, in addition to all of the off ice qualities/behaviors you'd typically look for. I definitely think Zemgus can become that guy. But let's give it a few more years, eh? :laugh:

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
If he proves that he is going to be leaned on more and more as the season continues, I would not mind it at all if they make him captain at the start of next year. In 50 games, let's see where he is.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

i think you what you want in a Captain, should be what you want OUT of a Captain.

If we are talking about a well built team, intending to contend... I absolutely agree.

When we are talking about a bottom of the barrel, rebuilding team... I want a different type of Captain to go through the transition with... as I've made clear with my opinions on the subject that get routinely laughed at while people suggest Thomas Vanek as Captain, a guy who's qualifications fit neither a contender or a rebuild.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
i think you what you want in a Captain, should be what you want OUT of a Captain.

If we are talking about a well built team, intending to contend... I absolutely agree.

When we are talking about a bottom of the barrel, rebuilding team... I want a different type of Captain to go through the transition with... as I've made clear with my opinions on the subject that get routinely laughed at while people suggest Thomas Vanek as Captain, a guy who's qualifications fit neither a contender or a rebuild.

Let's be clear. I'm not laughing at you because of why you thought Weber would be a good captain. I laugh at you because you just assumed a fringe NHLer was suddenly going to become a defense stalwart the team could lean on, a year after you yourself proclaimed him the worst defender on the team. Now we get a thread to make a kid captain because he scored 2 goals after getting benched. All we need I someone to suggest that Stafford and a second is good value to trade for a better captain and we would win HF Bingo.

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
The C will look best on McDavid. Girgensons, Hodgson, Myers and Ehrhoff can alternate A's. I can dream right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad