Zemgus: All Star Votes Warranted?

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I am disappointed as a Hawks fan that the Hossa and Saad campaigns never got off the ground

Would have been fun to see 6 Hawks win fan vote for the reactions around here

Bradys Boys

Oct 30, 2014
Sure not a bad choice to represent Buffalo but no other Sabres should be there. It's all popularity some really good players like Thornton where not even close.

Don't even think the host city for any players in either not sure why they have in Columbus.

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
I remembered there was a lot of outrage on HF when Habs' fans voted their players to the ASG. Hawks' fans did the same thing this year and I hardly saw people talking about it here.

asmeus

Sep 28, 2011
Latvia
This voting system to be honest just shows, how unpopular all star game is.

All it takes, to vote Zemgus in the all star game is 5000 dedicated fans. (5000 x 10 votes x 30 days = 1500000)

I don't think 5000 people are that many.

NHL Team fanbases should be much larger than this. No one just cares about it to vote.

Church of Toews*

He deserves those votes because Buffalo and a country barely over a million people managed to draw more votes than Toronto Qubec if you don't like it you should of voted. Its ironic though that I see many habs fans (not on here mostly) complain about Price not starting when they made Komisarek an all star IIRC a few years back

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Is this guy the greatest athlete to ever come out of Latvia? Pretty sad. Even Lithuania has managed 3 Olympic Bronzes in Men's Basketball and produced NBA players like Ilgauskas, Kleiza, Valanciunas, and Montiejunas (far more popular sport globally than Ice Hockey)

Last edited:

Church of Toews*

Is this guy the greatest athlete to ever come out of Latvia? Pretty sad. Even Lithuania has managed 3 Olympic Bronzes in Men's Basketball (far more popular sport globally than Ice Hockey)

Most famous Latvian athletes played under the Soviets that being said they now have Kristers "I faint after 60 shots" Gudjevskis

RobertR

Jul 5, 2012
Is this guy the greatest athlete to ever come out of Latvia? Pretty sad. Even Lithuania has managed 3 Olympic Bronzes in Men's Basketball and produced NBA players like Ilgauskas, Kleiza, Valanciunas, and Montiejunas (far more popular sport globally than Ice Hockey)

You better delete this comment until Namejs gets here. :laugh:

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Most famous Latvian athletes played under the Soviets that being said they now have Kristers "I faint after 60 shots" Gudjevskis

The same can be said for their Baltic brothers in Lithuania who are almost as small in terms of population and have achieved great success internationally in Basketball.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
You better delete this comment until Namejs gets here. :laugh:

Why? I'm sure they're good people and all I just feel bad for them that Girgensons whose a good young player to his credit is treated as some kind of God over there.

ZeroPT*

Why? I'm sure they're good people and all I just feel bad for them that Girgensons whose a good young player to his credit is treated as some kind of God over there.
Small countries like their star players. I'm pretty sure Kopitar is a god in Slovenia too.

EDIT: Plus you answered your own question. Hockey isn't the most popular sport and a tiny country like Latvia producing a star is going to make them like him.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Small countries like their star players. I'm pretty sure Kopitar is a god in Slovenia too.

EDIT: Plus you answered your own question. Hockey isn't the most popular sport and a tiny country like Latvia producing a star is going to make them like him.

Not to mention the way he plays quickly makes him a fan favorite.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Oh god, please don`t take that rap video seriously.

Well, first of all that ''band'' aren`t very serious themselves, they are more like a parody band or smth.
Even with that i haven`t found courage to watch it til the end :laugh:

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia

Why do you think so?
Coming up with assupmtions and then dissing? Nice touch bro

CrookedCrook

Jan 12, 2014
Latvia

Not even close. What the hell man? Its like making assumptions your greatest athlete ever has been Dainius Zubrus because apart from NHL you know nothing about other countries sportsmen.

alekseyk

Apr 28, 2013

Umm..less we forget Sandis Ozolinsh?! Too bad dude was an alcoholic, who knows what kind of career he could of had.

Church of Toews*

Umm..less we forget Sandis Ozolinsh?! Too bad dude was an alcoholic, who knows what kind of career he could of had.

Tampa still has the Latvian Demigod Goalie as well I think he might break into the league soon enough

CrookedCrook

Jan 12, 2014
Latvia
Tampa still has the Latvian Demigod Goalie as well I think he might break into the league soon enough

Nah, he is way behind Vasilevski in Tampas goalie depth and wont be sniffing big league in near future if they don't trade Bishop as Vasilevski has proved to be the better of the two in AHL and from the short stint in NHL.

GX

Dec 28, 2011
Is this guy the greatest athlete to ever come out of Latvia?

I hope you're a troll. :laugh:

7-time NHL All-Star, Norris candidate Ozolinsh
2-time NHL All-Star Irbe
495 consecutive NHL games for Iron Man Skrastins
Soviet league MVP Balderis (made NHL debut at 37, after being retired for 4(!) years)

Altogether, there have been 20 Latvians in the NHL, 32 Latvians drafted. And that's only ice hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad