Zemgus: All Star Votes Warranted?

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
I've been thinking a lot about Girgensons, what he means to Buffalo, and his ceiling. There are Buffalo fans who think he can be the next Bergeron, and others who think he'll be a 2nd-3rd line center. His intensity is off the charts, and his teammates feed off that. His 2-way play is dependable and he is really an all-situations center with above average hands. Hoping he can become a Backes/Kopitar-lite type forward. Regardless of how offensively gifted he's become, we can all say he was a better draft selection than Radek Faksa, and we're thrilled to have someone who brings to the table what he does.

My question is - does he deserve all these all star votes, or is he leading due to the extreme amount of national pride? What do you think of him as a player as it applies to the all star game?

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Should he have the most votes in the league? Certainly not. Should he represent Buffalo? Yeah, I guess.

londonHK

Feb 27, 2014
The ASG fan vote is a popularity contest, and he's winning it primarily thanks to the many people in Latvia who are voting for him, in addition to his fans elsewhere. How does someone "deserve" to be popular or not "deserve" it? If he's popular amongst people who want to spend their voting for this thing, then he's deserving of the fan votes. TBH, I'm not sure why this topic is being brought up so much around here.

Last edited:

Sarcastic

PosterOfTheYear2014
Sep 18, 2011
Toronto
A fan popularity contest doesn't mean much at the end of the day. Not like he asked for the votes. It's actually not that big of a deal because no one cares about the All-Star game.

BudMovin*

The All-Star game is a joke anyways. It's a cash grab by the NHL. Who cares what players go?

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Probably not. Not yet anyways. I could see him nabbing one of the final spots to fill a roster space from the Sabres, but the voting race is a bit ludicrous right now.

MilanKraft*

Right now there is no way he is better than Lindholm or Trouba.

Trouba....:laugh:

He's not top 5 in draft. ...Might not be even top 10...

You guys know forsberg, maatta, galchenyuk, pearson, hertl, reilly, ceci, etc. Are in this draft....

Trouba just another 30 point defenceman in this draft full of them. Dime a dozen.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Trouba....:laugh:

He's not top 5 in draft. ...Might not be even top 10...

You guys know forsberg, maatta, galchenyuk, pearson, hertl, reilly, ceci, etc. Are in this draft....

Trouba just another 30 point defenceman in this draft full of them. Dime a dozen.

Is this a serious post?

Jackets Fan

Mar 28, 2014
Central Ohio
Simple answer: HELLLLL NO

Yeah, this. A whole hell of a lot of others deserve to be there more than him.
Not surprising, though, with the fan vote system. Corey Crawford is actually leading all goalies in votes, ahead of guys like Lundqvist, Quick, Rinne, Price, and even Columbus' own ( where the game is actually held at ) Sergei Bobrovsky. So what does that tell you?

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
he's more deserving than mike komisarek haha.. so if any habs fans are complaining...

So as a Habs fan that didn't vote in 2009 and had nothing to do with it, I can't talk about Zemgus undeservedly getting in?

Think before you post.

Ralphy*

Considering there's a rule that every team needs at least one player to go, I really don't care whatsoever. He can represent Buffalo, sure.
Also it's the ASG. Who cares? He's not winning some crazy award.

King EK65

#KuldaApproved
Jun 26, 2013
Canada
He's one of the best, if no the best player on the Sabres right now. Does he ''deserve'' it? No. But he's popular in Latvia and is a good player. All-Star game isn't serious anyways, so who cares?

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
How does one deserve a fan vote? They deserve it by having passionate fans.

He meets my criteria. Deserves it just fine.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
He deserves to be there representing Buffalo, him or Ennis. However, he isn't an "All-Star" in my eyes.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
You know the nhl is unpopular when a country with 2 million people single handedly can decide the all star balloting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad