Zegras Worth From Fans..

What is Zegras Worth and why would pay him that much?

• 3 - 4m AAV

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • 5-6m AAV

Votes: 51 55.4%
  • 7-8M AAV

Votes: 33 35.9%
  • 9-10mAAV

Votes: 3 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
Not even remotely what I meant. The Sedins had very good players taking the top minutes. Zegras isn’t putting up points getting 11-12 minutes a game either.

I consider misconducts for yapping at officials, repeatedly, with no letter on your chest to be antics. Also selfish slashing penalties, temper tantrums, and forcing needlessly fancy passes resulting in turnovers for goals when there’s a very clear easy play to make instead, again - repeatedly. YMMV.

Yes, Carlsson. And again, the point is that overpaying leads to the next guy also demanding overpaying after his ELC. Which will be even more than the current guy.

Zegras didn’t draw flies last year after it became clear the team was no good. Marketability is reflected in your endorsements, not your salary. Agree to disagree that 7x3 for a bridge on a 1 dimensional 60 point player whose play actually regressed last year is fair. He wants to extract all he can, that’s his right. It’s the team’s right to not want to blow up the salary structure.

I prefer the team be prioritized, you (it appears, correct me if I’m wrong) prefer the player. I prefer to budget conservatively to not be forced into trading people too soon (or at all) because there’s no room for them, and I think that teams that do that rarely succeed. You appear (again, correct me if I’m wrong) think significantly less of the prospects than I do and want to invest in what is currently a surer thing. Neither of us are going to change our minds.
Zegras would do fine on a team like the Canucks in my opinion. Especially if he had a twin like one of the Sedins as a linemate. I don't know if he'd put up the same numbers as he did in Anaheim but probably similar to the Sedins.

I feel like most of Zegras "antics" are byproduct of the team being iced. How many times have our leaders got into it with officials? not many. When Getzlaf was here he would often get into the ear of the ref, I rarely seen Silf, Henrique or Fowler step up in that area and you kinda need that. I like that Zegras shows passion for the game because you need that in a team. Slashing penalties is an easy one. The Ducks are very weak. A guy like Zegras needs to feel protected, he isn't going to whoop anybody so he's going to slash and whack. Instead of icing the softest roster in league history, put some guys in there that can protect our stars. I'd take temper tantrums over apathy and thats what a lot of Ducks looked like last season, You'd see guys giggling on the bench having a grand old time despite getting manhandled in every single area of the game. Hes a young kid who has only known winning and going from that to whatever the Ducks were last year is incredibly frustrating for an athlete of his caliber.

Zegras is marketable the Ducks just weren't. You can put him in commercials you can put him on covers of video games, he's going to sell you a bunch of jerseys but nobody is sitting down for 3 hours to watch him sit in his own zone and have his team average a shot every 10 mins. It can be both endorsements and salary. The Ducks brand has been seen more lately than they ever were in the Getz / Perry era and they were unwatchable this year. Imagine Ducks on a playoff run with Zegras? Tickets would be sold out again, jerseys would be flying off the shelves, our other players would be getting more eyeballs, advertisements would be knocking on the Ducks door. This is all good for a team that has a history of being on a budget.

I think highly of the prospects just doubt many will be above Zegras. I think getting Zegras locked down and making him happy is best for the teams future. Anaheim has been drafting guys for specific roles and I can't see any taking Zegras spot because he really isn't a prospect that grows on trees. If you're good enough, everyone gets moved eventually. If every prospect we have is worthy of 7 million bridge deals, then yeah people will need to be moved but we will also likely have quite the success by that point.

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
We did draft Zegras 9th overall to identify talents like Zegras can be possible to be found in picks 5-10. In last year's draft, Michkov went 7th overall.

I believe you're conflating negotiating an RFA contract with comparing a 2nd round pick to replace Zegras, which is both a red herring and false dilemma fallacies. We only know a part of the negotiations, which is the low end, but we don't know the high end. What if Z asked for $8 mil for a bridge deal. Will you then call him a prima donna because he's just a one-dimensional player?

I've already shared that Lindholm didn't sign until after the 8th regular season game. And Lindholm wanted to be a Duck for life, but GM Verbeek only wanted Lindholm as a side chick than a wife. Rakell also didn't sign until mid-October and the wait was longer due to visa and health recover issues. Lindholm and Rakell holdouts were in the same off-season in 2016.

With Z and Drysdale holding out, it doesn't bother me because they'll eventually be signed. Unfortunately, holdouts do happen, but that doesn't mean Z is gone.
Its possible to be found in 5-10, but its more likely that you don't find a Zegras. Getting Zegras at 9th was a gem and one that shouldn't be fumbled.

Michkov was only available because hes signed to a contract in a country most of the western world has blackballed and has to wait 3 years before hes in the NHL. The Ducks would have to wait for a prospect as skilled as Michkov, hope hes signed to a 3 year deal in the KHL, hope the war is still going and yeah... don't think that fits our timetable.

I'm comparing future values. There's no reason to worry about a 2nd round pick's contract before we get one of our top players signed. If Zegras asked for 8 million for 3 years, i'd say hes overvaluing himself a bit and should bring it down to 7 million.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
he's getting moved. somewhere red white and blue.
1695595676389.jpeg

Reactions: Vipers31

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad