Zegras with Lacrosse goal vs Habs

190Octane

Jun 28, 2002
Fullerton, CA
The game has changed. If Zegras tried this back in the 90's (I don't even know if you could pull it off with a wood stick) someone would've taken his head off on the next shift. As a fan it's cool, but if I was on Montreal I wouldn't be too happy with some 19 year old Zoomer clowning on me all over SN.
If you don’t want to be clowned on, play defense.

PROGFAN66

Feb 10, 2019
So, you have a player who has the skill on the spot to score on a shot that is legal. Some old dinosaurs in the sport have a problem with this shot but it’s actually an intelligent play because it’s hard to defend as well. I remember seeing Wayne Gretzky scoring a goal that was basically a baseball type of swing shot in mid-air and it wasn’t high sticking it was a legal shot.

The sport is tilted towards the defense and goaltending so good on Zegras to execute the shot and score a goal. It’s part of the game now the lacrosse shot. I don’t have an issue that the players are using their skills and ability. The game is changing.

Last edited:

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
my bet is he scores alot of goals like this in his career, he seems to do this so easily.

He can thank and owes Stan Makita a debt of gratitude. (along with composite materials)

I am a bit of a traditionalist, that said it is within the rules and is simply a product of evolution of the game and innovation amongst young rink rats that have played with curved composite sticks all thier lives.

I am an oldtimer, I grew up playing hockey outside in canada in -20+ temps with straight wooden sticks that weighed a tonne, I was dressed in turtelnecks and touques with Micron insulated skates until I was 18 and was then not good enough to make the next level...

the lacross goal was not possibel when I was a playing.

I like the lacross goal really

haha

Last edited:

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
f***, I can't believe Anaheim picked him one spot ahead of Podkolzin.

Steal of that draft.

I watched him for two years here with the NTDP, and really thought he would be a good one for whichever team was fortunate enough to draft him. That team was absolutely stacked -- Jack Hughes, Zegras, Boldy, Turcotte, Cam York, Spencer Knight and Caufield all taken in the top 15!

Heffyhoof

Jan 17, 2016
There's something unique about the thought process that gets a player to attempt something like this, and that should be celebrated. I do have to say that I think a top-corner snipe after a beautiful cross-ice pass takes way more skill than just kinda picking up the puck and dumping it over the goalies shoulder while he's not looking. Again, I like the way he thinks as a player and I like watching him play. A couple of his goals this year will be shown over and over, but I've seen him make 10 plays better than that this season.
I sorta disagree. It takes a lot of high end skill, split second decision making, and confidence to pull off a sillier move like the lacrosse goal. The player needs to survey the ice to instantly notice his moment to make the move, otherwise most defenders would level them. Just like a beautiful cross-ice pass to a wide open player requires that proper mix of skills to accomplish properly so the receiver can make the easy one-timer.

Reactions: Stony Curtis

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Been playing hockey for 45 years so should be siding with the Grumpy Old Men but f*** it, at 50 years old I did the lacrosse pass last week to a line mate 1/3 my age and he batted it in, yeah only beer league but fun for all ages. As a Habs fan was pretty to watch Zegras, Ducks have a superstar there and most haters are just jealous IMO.

Chinaski89

May 17, 2019
I thought Torts told him he can't do that?
7D13FA28-B7D5-4FBD-BB21-4E28A3A512EF.gif

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Isn't the entire object of hockey to put the puck in the net?
Ya but in a grindy, boring kinda way.

screw zegras for acting like the league is a skills comp

imagine if basketball players started doing crazy dunks and passes that they maybe didn’t need to do… it would kill the sport literally no one would watch …. No one would be excited about some sort of ally oop style pass, or like some sort of crazy windmill dunk or 360 dunk…. Crazy talk

Reactions: ayrton2388

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
my bet is he scores alot of goals like this in his career, he seems to do this so easily.

I doubt it. For the next year or two probably. Eventually though the other teams are going to figure out that you can't give him multiple seconds all by himself behind your goal. I love what he's doing & he's smooth/talented enough to do such things on the fly/not need a whole lot of time to execute the play, but eventually teams playing against him are going to have a defender nearby ready to check him/knock the puck off his stick (in which case his assist totals will go up as he'll pass the puck to a now open teammate in front of the goal).

It's a good thing to have in his toolbag, it will be interesting to see how the league adapts to him (& others) in the next few years.

MakeTheGoalsLarger

Dec 9, 2011
Antarctica

He can thank and owes Stan Makita a debt of gratitude. (along with composite materials)

I am a bit of a traditionalist, that said it is within the rules and is simply a product of evolution of the game and innovation amongst young rink rats that have played with curved composite sticks all thier lives.

I am an oldtimer, I grew up playing hockey outside in canada in -20+ temps with straight wooden sticks that weighed a tonne, I was dressed in turtelnecks and touques with Micron insulated skates until I was 18 and was then not good enough to make the next level...

the lacross goal was not possibel when I was a playing.

I like the lacross goal really

haha

I like that you bring up the point about composite sticks. I grew up on the same conditions as you and there are a few dekes nowadays that leave me puzzled because no one (or very very few people) did those back in the day. Like the deke when a player gets the puck between his legs from behind and then shoots it.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
zegras needs to make up a move at the breakaway challenge and call it simply

“the torts”

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I don't think that these should be illegal, but would a defensive move to hit the end of the stick currently be allowed?
If not then I think it should be, so that there is a proper defensive option against these goals.

As long as you don't slash or hook then yes. Savard makes contact with his stick trying to block it, just a little too late.

Reactions: D1az

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad