Player Discussion Zdeno Chara Retires a Boston Bruin

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I knew after going to game 6 in 2008 against the Canadiens that the Bruins franchise was turning the corner. I knew that they were finally going to rise above what I had grown up watching for most of the mid 90s through 2008. I knew that they may lose that game 7 back in Montreal (which they did) but I didn’t care. I could feel greater things coming.

The real pillar (figuratively and literally) behind that changing tide was Zdeno Chara. While Claude finally focused the team and signings like Savard and Kessel brought significant talent (remember, Bergeron wasn’t even playing those playoffs), Chara was the true force and authority behind the Bruins’ attitude and on ice presence.

I don’t doubt he’ll have as successful a retirement as he did a hockey career.

Thanks for everything, Z!

Shoebottom88

Feb 4, 2019
A very unique player. One of a kind. I could argue he was the best defensive Dman ever. It seemed each year he was voted by fellow players to be the toughest to play against. Him and Orr would’ve been unmatched lol. Great leader and one of the most fearsome players out there. Can’t believe he played all those game while being 6’9” & 260lbs. Players that size usually don’t last that long in hockey. Testament to his fitness and will. Good luck in your future endeavors. Thank you

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
I knew after going to game 6 in 2008 against the Canadiens that the Bruins franchise was turning the corner. I knew that they were finally going to rise above what I had grown up watching for most of the mid 90s through 2008. I knew that they may lose that game 7 back in Montreal (which they did) but I didn’t care. I could feel greater things coming.

The real pillar (figuratively and literally) behind that changing tide was Zdeno Chara. While Claude finally focused the team and signings like Savard and Kessel brought significant talent (remember, Bergeron wasn’t even playing those playoffs), Chara was the true force and authority behind the Bruins’ attitude and on ice presence.

I don’t doubt he’ll have as successful a retirement as he did a hockey career.

Thanks for everything, Z!
To add onto this the combination of which you were just talking about, add in Timmy in his short prime few years.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Not sure if anyone posted this Twitter thread yet but just random Chara stuff. I don’t remember this commercial, major nostalgia.

Number6

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
1663854716121.png

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Today’s Globe:

Sweeney on Zdeno Chara’s future: “We’ve had discussions about where he may want to jump in from a hockey [operations] standpoint. I think he was pretty clear yesterday where his priorities are, but it wouldn’t surprise me [if] he gets an itch to impact the Bruins at some level — just on his own timeline, that’s all.”

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Today’s Globe:

Sweeney on Zdeno Chara’s future: “We’ve had discussions about where he may want to jump in from a hockey [operations] standpoint. I think he was pretty clear yesterday where his priorities are, but it wouldn’t surprise me [if] he gets an itch to impact the Bruins at some level — just on his own timeline, that’s all.”
I really liked Z's answer about retirement. Other than spending time with his family and staying in shape, he is just going to see where life takes him after gaining some perspective from being away from being a player. No big immediate plans or expectations. That's healthy. Hard to tell what a guy such as Z will end up doing after playing NHL hockey for so long. Selfishly, I am hoping he ends up deciding he wants to be on the business end of things with the Bs. He would be great in so many different capacities in the front office.

Reactions: BMC

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Today’s Globe:

Love it. I really hope he does at some point. I could see Chara eyeing something in the strength and conditioning department as he really does seem to love that aspect.

Reactions: Ladyfan

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
Naturally, Z is on my all-time Bruin team, and I'd pair him with Bobby Orr - the "Rusher" and the Crusher"!

The guy was a living monument, a force of nature with a heart as wide as his wingspan. In the top handful of Bruin's leaders in history.

I'd like to go to bed tonight and dream he somehow suddenly becomes 15 years younger and gets a 15 year extension on that one day contract....

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Baby steps. I'm sure they'll give him an entire night with a jersey retirement ceremony & the works.

If they don't we'll storm Causeway Street with torches & pitchforks. :madfire:
Exactly. Not many numbers up in the rafters given how long the organization has been around, combined with how many great players have played for the Bs. It's a momentous occasion when a number is retired. 33 will most certainly be retired.

I'm sure the number retirement for Z will be a huge affair, with a lot of pre-planning, coordination of various peoples' schedules, invites of VIPs, etc involved. It will be fun to see what the Bs have in store for the night Z's number is retired. They tend to do these kind of things really well.

• Love
Reactions: BMC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad