Player Discussion Zdeno Chara IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
What’s it like to fight Zdeno Chara? ‘I felt like a little boy’

Jake's dad:
“He had me in the most vulnerable position I’ve ever been in during a hockey fight. And I’ve been in a few hundred fights in my life,” DeBrusk said. “I couldn’t reach him. I tried to throw one punch, and it was a foot and a half short. I was like, ‘Wow. This is bad.’ He had a real good grip on me.

Worrell:

During one of their fights, Worrell was at risk of a bad outcome. By his recollection, he was puffing through a two-minute shift when the puck got to him along the wall. Worrell wanted to get the puck out of the Florida zone and retreat to the bench. Chara had other intentions.
“As soon as it did, I breathed a sigh of relief,” Worrell said of advancing the puck. “But he thought I was trying to fight him. So the gloves drop. I was like, ‘Oh, Lord.’ I just tried to hold on. He got me with a real clean one real quick. So we’re sitting in the penalty box. I just remember saying, ‘Z, I don’t understand. Why’d you want to fight me? I was literally trying to climb up you to get off the ice.’ I was dead tired. I wanted nothing to do with him.”

:laugh:

Somebody needs to write a book about Zee someday.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
What’s it like to fight Zdeno Chara? ‘I felt like a little boy’

Jake's dad:
“He had me in the most vulnerable position I’ve ever been in during a hockey fight. And I’ve been in a few hundred fights in my life,” DeBrusk said. “I couldn’t reach him. I tried to throw one punch, and it was a foot and a half short. I was like, ‘Wow. This is bad.’ He had a real good grip on me.

Worrell:

During one of their fights, Worrell was at risk of a bad outcome. By his recollection, he was puffing through a two-minute shift when the puck got to him along the wall. Worrell wanted to get the puck out of the Florida zone and retreat to the bench. Chara had other intentions.
“As soon as it did, I breathed a sigh of relief,” Worrell said of advancing the puck. “But he thought I was trying to fight him. So the gloves drop. I was like, ‘Oh, Lord.’ I just tried to hold on. He got me with a real clean one real quick. So we’re sitting in the penalty box. I just remember saying, ‘Z, I don’t understand. Why’d you want to fight me? I was literally trying to climb up you to get off the ice.’ I was dead tired. I wanted nothing to do with him.”

:laugh:

Somebody needs to write a book about Zee someday.
GREAT stuff from Fluto - best read of 2020

He couldn’t move him. DeBrusk realized he was in a jam.
“I pretty much shit my pants,” DeBrusk said. “I knew I was in big, big trouble. I was like, ‘I need to get the hell out of this right away.’ ....

...”When he wanted the fight to be over, he just folded me up like a lawn chair,” Shelley said. “I felt like a little boy.”
Shelley was bleeding after the fight. Chara had pressed his helmet so far into Shelley’s head that it cut him behind his ear.
But Shelley was satisfied. His home crowd was roaring. He had gotten Chara off the ice for five minutes.

Last edited:

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
From Fluto:

"Louie DeBrusk, Peter Worrell, Hal Gill and Jody Shelley are four of the men brave enough to engage in gloves-off combat with Chara."

One of these things is not like the others . . .
And here is where Fluto shows up:

"For eight seasons, Hal Gill was Boston’s version of Chara."

o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes