Player Discussion Zdeno Chara - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
As long as he wants to play Sweeney should make sure it's as a Bruin.

As long as he wants to play?

The never-ending player loyalty is a completely delusional concept almost exclusive to New England fans. It baffles me.

At what point do you look at it in a level headed way: the man is a human being, who will need to be off this team at some point. The idea that some people are willing to leave him on this team "as long as he wants" irks me.

All that said, the guy had a "comeback year" at 39/40, which I didn't think was possible. I still think people need to see the reality of the situation, especially those that are all about a more energetic and high speed game, but I'm certainly not itching to get Chara off the team this offseason.

His minutes need to continue declining on a yearly basis as well for him to remain the great defender he is. The guy is brilliant on the PK and in-zone cycles, but brutal on odd man rushes (I really hope other people noticed what a pylon he is on 2-on-1's...I'm sorry if you object, I don't even find it debatable).

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario

The never-ending player loyalty is a completely delusional concept almost exclusive to New England fans. It baffles me.

At what point do you look at it in a level headed way: the man is a human being, who will need to be off this team at some point. The idea that some people are willing to leave him on this team "as long as he wants" irks me.

All that said, the guy had a "comeback year" at 39/40, which I didn't think was possible. I still think people need to see the reality of the situation, especially those that are all about a more energetic and high speed game, but I'm certainly not itching to get Chara off the team this offseason.

His minutes need to continue declining on a yearly basis as well for him to remain the great defender he is. The guy is brilliant on the PK and in-zone cycles, but brutal on odd man rushes (I really hope other people noticed what a pylon he is on 2-on-1's...I'm sorry if you object, I don't even find it debatable).

Agree with a lot that you said ,he can stay ,but he needs to play a lot less ,he really needs to start to be phased out,he can't continue to be there number one defenceman,in the long run it won't be good for the Bruins future going on.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

similar to a chris chelious situation I would think... which by the way wasn't in new England. maybe a bit like how a ray bourque or a larry robinson got to decide at the end whether they wanted to play or not.

obviously if they cant play... then they cant play... but most of these types of guys retire when they are still one of your 3-4 best players. most hof players choose 5o retire because they dont want to play. not because they cant.

in the case of chara, he was still our best dman this year. he can still play. he was still our best dman last year. and he was still our best dman 2 years ago

as a fan your name shows us your bias but the team will make decesions based on what helps and not on the bias of a hf fan

Last edited:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
“I can’t really say the number,†Chara said. “Some people say 45. Jaromir said 50. I can’t really put a number on that. I just want to have fun and compete and work hard. I love everything about it. I love the sacrifice. I love the pain that goes with it. I love playing with younger guys, I love playing with older guys. I love being around my teammates. I’m getting so much support from my family. This is what I want to do and I want to do it as long as I can be effective. My job is to be ready and be effective.â€

Chara has one year left on his contract, which will have a cap hit of $4 million. He can officially sign an extension after July 1. There is no doubt in his mind that he would like that extension to come from the Bruins.

“Of course I would,†Chara said. “It’s something that I want to continue to play. As I’ve said many times, I take a lot of pride in my offseason training and being ready for every season. But again, it’s something that management has to think about and make a decision on that. But I’ve said it many times. I’d like to play beyond this contract and I want to still be a very effective and I still want to get better and improve and maintain my game and keep adding to my game. It’s a game that’s going extremely fast forward, with a lot of improvements and skill assets and you have to be able to make those adjustments. That’s my focus before every season, to be able to make adjustments.â€

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...er_contract_and_he_hopes_it_comes_from_bruins

iReckless

Apr 29, 2013
New Hampshire
The whole mentor thing is kinda rubbish to me. With McQuaid and Krug, I think we have enough mentors. Also Butch is a great coach when it comes to teaching youth how to play the game.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Chara and Bergeron have been captain and alternate captain together for what, 11 seasons now? I wonder if that's the longest active streak, and what the "record" is.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

I don't think you are sorry.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Wait until after the year to see how he does before making any commitments.

Brewins

Apr 23, 2015
I am sorry but z is the guy who you want teaching the youngsters

Excatly!! He has only one a cup, a playoff veteran, has excelled on both sides of the ice. Norris caliber perennially through his prime, Captain for 11 yrs, had a long development and knows how to adapt and stay in the league for 20+ years.

You're right, definitely nothing to offer as the 40 yr old #1 d on a playoff team.

He is not the best in the world, or even an amazing #1 but he is still a great player and has alot to offer to a team who is turning from his team to pasta, macavoy, carlo, krug and marchys team.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
As long as he can still be effective and is willing to play for a reasonable salary then the Bs would be idiots to not keep him around. This past season was pretty remarkable for a guy his age. There is no telling how many more years he can play at a high level with reduced minutes.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I would just to hear the incentive to extend a 40 year old 6'9" Dman before his contract is over from the Bruins perspective? I can't think of anything other than "Z deserves it" which is a shamefully poor reason.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I would just to hear the incentive to extend a 40 year old 6'9" Dman before his contract is over from the Bruins perspective? I can't think of anything other than "Z deserves it" which is a shamefully poor reason.

Nah, it's a pretty good reason - most players wouldn't but he does.

But if we're looking for comparisons to gauge the idea, then how many 6'9" 40 year old NHL defensemen have declined rapidly in their 41st and 42nd year old seasons?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad