Status
Not open for further replies.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Zdeno Chara’s new plant-based diet is paying off on the ice - The Boston Globe

Zdeno Chara is 40 years old. He weighs 250 pounds, his preferred playing weight. The Bruins captain is averaging a team-high 23:15 of ice time per game. Chara’s bosses count on him for extended shifts, like the 4:18 monster he submitted in a 4-1 win over Montreal Jan. 18 to help kill off a five-on-three Canadiens power play.

He feels fast, strong, and fit — and that is partly because of what he’s eating.

In September, shortly upon his return from Slovakia, Chara adopted a plant-based diet. He no longer eats beef, chicken, pork, or dairy, the usual go-to sources of fat and protein for an NHLer. He sometimes eats salmon and eggs, but has otherwise gone vegetarian: fruit, quinoa, brown rice, beans, chickpeas, lentils, salad, avocados, nuts, and seeds. Chara likes Sweetgreen. He is a regular Whole Foods shopper.

The morning after a recent game, Chara ate oatmeal, fruit, and a smoothie for breakfast. After road games, he sometimes tucks into tofu on the plane. The travel crew adapted a recipe from Tatiana, Chara’s wife, for the entire team to enjoy postgame: rice pie with egg whites and dried fruit. Chara’s performance proves that even a 6-foot-9-inch colossus does not need porterhouses to fuel or rebuild his bulging muscles.

Reactions: Alicat and sooshii

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
The way Chara is pinching/aggressive on offense would give CJ a heart attack

Even though he got burnt a few times yesterday and will get burnt again... the Ds participating on offense has worked to perfection.

Good to see Chara , pot the empty netter yesterday

Reactions: Thrive

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
The way Chara is pinching/aggressive on offense would give CJ a heart attack

Even though he got burnt a few times yesterday and will get burnt again... the Ds participating on offense has worked to perfection.

Good to see Chara , pot the empty netter yesterday

He practiced up against the devils going 0-3:laugh:, so yes it was nice to see him nail it this time.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Chara had just killed a whole penalty, saved a goal & had a full even strength shift and then fought a 255 pound, 6'7 guy & at worst it was a draw.

The dude is an absolute legend. First ballot HoF & his jersey should go in the rafters as soon as he retires. It is unreal the season he is having at his age. He actually looks better than he has in like 3 years. God I love this guy.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
His Instagram is fantastic. So sincere and inspiring. What an amazing dude.
He loves pigeons and his mom :)

And then there's tonight:
IMG_20180301_224257.jpg

:laugh:

Never change, Zee!

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Think he just hired a PR consultant
He hired the consultant to help set up his brand for when he hangs them up but the Instagram and Facebook content is all authentic Z.

I’m fascinated that he has his real estate license and is a certified financial planner. I wonder if he uses his real estate license to help the new guys and kids find places...

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
If you had told me say 5 years ago that Chara won the cup in 2017-2018 at 41 in his final year of his deal, I'd have told you he'd love to go out like that with the cup over his head. But now? I dunno. I don't think a cup would have him retire. Probably the opposite effect.

Think he does 4m again?

C0ach B0mbay

Sep 14, 2009
Boston
If you had told me say 5 years ago that Chara won the cup in 2017-2018 at 41 in his final year of his deal, I'd have told you he'd love to go out like that with the cup over his head. But now? I dunno. I don't think a cup would have him retire. Probably the opposite effect.

Think he does 4m again?

I think he does - but we'll be lucky if he does. 4m for the captain is arguably the best deal in the league this year. Almost like having an ELC on our #1 D.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
I know I said it a few times in the GDT.

But that was a statement made by Big Z last night. Hes out there for an entire PK then lays into Oleksaik.

Hes still got some left in the tank!

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
McAvoy is allowing Chara to do less and produce more

I thought he was toast but he's been very very good and his leadership has never been better

My top 5 laughable HF topics was those who wanted to strip him of the C

The guy is coaching those D on the bench between shifts

Guy is iconic best shutdown defenseman I've ever seen with subtle offensive game

Very good hockey sense and decision making

C0ach B0mbay

Sep 14, 2009
Boston

I thought he was toast but he's been very very good and his leadership has never been better

Guy is iconic best shutdown defenseman I've ever seen with subtle offensive game

Well said.

I've been doing this with Brady for the last few years, but I'm starting to really appreciate 33 in a similar way. Now that he's near the end, it really hits home just how unique he is and how great he's been for the Bs.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Zdeno Chara’s new plant-based diet is paying off on the ice - The Boston Globe

Zdeno Chara is 40 years old. He weighs 250 pounds, his preferred playing weight. The Bruins captain is averaging a team-high 23:15 of ice time per game. Chara’s bosses count on him for extended shifts, like the 4:18 monster he submitted in a 4-1 win over Montreal Jan. 18 to help kill off a five-on-three Canadiens power play.

He feels fast, strong, and fit — and that is partly because of what he’s eating.

In September, shortly upon his return from Slovakia, Chara adopted a plant-based diet. He no longer eats beef, chicken, pork, or dairy, the usual go-to sources of fat and protein for an NHLer. He sometimes eats salmon and eggs, but has otherwise gone vegetarian: fruit, quinoa, brown rice, beans, chickpeas, lentils, salad, avocados, nuts, and seeds. Chara likes Sweetgreen. He is a regular Whole Foods shopper.

The morning after a recent game, Chara ate oatmeal, fruit, and a smoothie for breakfast. After road games, he sometimes tucks into tofu on the plane. The travel crew adapted a recipe from Tatiana, Chara’s wife, for the entire team to enjoy postgame: rice pie with egg whites and dried fruit. Chara’s performance proves that even a 6-foot-9-inch colossus does not need porterhouses to fuel or rebuild his bulging muscles.

It's well known that there is almost no diet where protein needs to be supplemented,in his case it's simply plant protein versus animal protein. B Vitamin supplementation is necessary,but I'm sure he's supplementing.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

How lucky the Bruins have been to have two of the all-time great defensive players (Chara and Bergeron) as their anchors and leaders the past decade. Quite possibly the best defensive duo ever, I think it's a legit argument.

Reactions: Bruinaura

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
How lucky the Bruins have been to have two of the all-time great defensive players (Chara and Bergeron) as their anchors and leaders the past decade. Quite possibly the best defensive duo ever, I think it's a legit argument.
You mean how lucky was Claude

Reactions: BruinDust
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad