Zdeno Chara and His Plant-Based Diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
To be honest, I'm completely sold on the ethical/environmental arguments. If humanity is able to survive perfectly fine on a vegan diet, there's no justifiable reason to continue eating meat - especially with the way meat production is now.

The health argument is the one I'm mostly curious about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: olli and Neutrinos

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
To be honest, I'm completely sold on the ethical/environmental arguments. If humanity is able to survive perfectly fine on a vegan diet, there's no justifiable reason to continue eating meat - especially with the way meat production is now.

The main thing to know about this is from the American Dietetic Association which state "It is the position of the American Dietetic Association that appropriately planned vegetarian diets, including total vegetarian or vegan diets, are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and may provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases. Well-planned vegetarian diets are appropriate for individuals during all stages of the life cycle, including pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood, and adolescence, and for athletes."

Position of the American Dietetic Association: vegetarian diets. - PubMed - NCBI

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
plant-based diet

In September, shortly upon his return from Slovakia, Chara adopted a plant-based diet.

He no longer eats beef, chicken, pork, or dairy, the usual go-to sources of fat and protein for an NHLer. He sometimes eats salmon and eggs, but has otherwise gone vegetarian: fruit, quinoa, brown rice, beans, chickpeas, lentils, salad, avocados, nuts, and seeds. Chara likes Sweetgreen. He is a regular Whole Foods shopper.
The morning after a recent game, Chara ate oatmeal, fruit, and a smoothie for breakfast. After road games, he sometimes tucks into tofu on the plane.

Chara's Diet (Me)
No beef, chicken, pork, or dairy, some salmon and eggs, (I eat alot)
Fruit, quinoa, brown rice, beans, chickpeas, lentils, oatmeal, tofu, (I eat none of these except the odd berry)
salad, avocados, nuts, and seeds (I eat lots of these).

Chara - Herbivore Me - Keto / Paleo :)

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I always wonder what kind of a placebo effect change in diet has in people. They always state that they feel better and recover faster but it's hard to think there isn't a huge benefit from it psychologically as well. He does look like a completely different player though from last year where it looked like he was nearing the end of his career.
Placebo is powerful. I’m on the same kind of diet and I’m in the best form ever. I’ve stayed the same weight but pretty much all my body fat has turned into muscle tissue.

I did change my diet since I’ve had some minor health issues. Doctor suggested it. Some of them have gotten better, not all.

I don’t think there’s a magical diet for everyone, but I function a lot better now and I haven’t realmy changed anything but the food.

I thought I’d miss beef but I haven’t. Only annoying thing is when I go out, If I want decent food options I have to go to hippie restaurants where they talk about sustainability and the process of making ecological linseed oil. Nothing wrong with that but it feels kind of absurd listening to it.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I mostly eat seafood. Any problems with that for the environment?

Yes actually, leading scientists predict fishless oceans by 2048 which would be an ecological disaster. Taking the moral argument out of it, the methods used to catch the fish are very harmful to non-target species and also to the ocean floor. Healthwise, fish are not what most people think of them either, with so many contaminates in water. But I was never a big seafood eater, so I haven't gained enough knowledge to get too in depth on this subject.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Yes actually, leading scientists predict fishless oceans by 2048 which would be an ecological disaster. Taking the moral argument out of it, the methods used to catch the fish are very harmful to non-target species and also to the ocean floor. Healthwise, fish are not what most people think of them either, with so many contaminates in water. But I was never a big seafood eater, so I haven't gained enough knowledge to get too in depth on this subject.

I hear you. I think Fruits and Vegetables should be at least half of everyones diet. You’re not going to turn everyone to being vegan in our lifetimes but we can all lead by example by eating those healthy non meat options and spreading the news of their benefits. Once people start seeing large amounts of people living longer and looking younger, the change will start to take hold. The environment is a major concern, but you’ll get through to many more people with the health aspect.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
1b19c5829a49779cbf9d0ad0fe5ca4ef--ron-swanson-quotes-parks-and-recreation.jpg

Reactions: SugarSherm

Goodbahd

Dec 17, 2017
I love when the twigs who have trouble putting on muscle their entire life start to lecture us that vegans can’t get enough protein.

Goodbahd

Dec 17, 2017
I tried a vegan diet for a few months a while back and lost of muscle and strength. Went back to eating meat and immediately felt much stronger and gained a lot of muscle. Hard for me to believe these pro athletes really get a boost from veganism but obviously their word over mine.

You probably didn’t have much muscle to begin with. I doubt your story is factual.

I went vegan about a decade ago, and my body has not changed since and I go for annual checkups and nothing has changed. The vegans I know, feel healthier.

Muscle mass is largely hereditary, genetics is most important.

Last edited:

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
-Mike Tyson loaded up on Milk, Chicken and Meat, and was the hardest hitting boxer by a landslide

-But diet isnt everything. If you look at prisoners, they eat like crap and some of them are absolutely ripped

-A lot of athletes take performance enhancing drugs. A lot of athletes do drink, or smoke, or chew tobacco, or dont eat right. Brad Marchand is a pretty good example, he's drunk all the time. You think he's going to sustain his play until he's 40? Nope, not when a big injury comes because the body take way longer to heal when you dont take care of it.

Tyson went Vegan for 4 years and says it was the best thing he ever did for himself. He claims to have lost over 100 pounds in fat with his Vegan diet and exercise.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ

nice to see a sensible post from you.

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
Tyson went Vegan for 4 years and says it was the best thing he ever did for himself. He claims to have lost over 100 pounds in fat with his Vegan diet and exercise.

-Yea. He also claimed he was 380lbs when he started it. If you quit exercising and you continue to eat 6000-8000+ calories a day like a power lifter does, pounds add up fast. He also isnt vegan anymore. And If I ever weighed 380lbs, I would be ashamed to go out in public.

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
I'm aware of the vegan protein powders but are they absolutely necessary for a good protein/carb ratio for vegans? Like I said I'm not doubting vegans whatsoever that they're building muscle and doing great eating vegan, chances are they follow different macros than what's been conventional knowledge for quite awhile. I've always been of the belief that .8-1 grams of protein per pound of body weight is the way to go for optimal muscle mass.
Here is a great vegan protein I use that only has 4 grams of Carbs for every 30 grams of protein. Doesn't taste that bad for not having any added sugar, either.
https://myvega.com/vega-sport-protein

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Well, as I said I do personally know a few of these guys. I'd wager that you do not know any of them, so I'll take what I actually know over anything you want to say about it.

You also proved what I said earlier. Your "I was vegan for 6 months", and then posting incorrect information. This tells me that you didn't know enough to continue, I guarantee that in 6 months you didn't gain nearly enough knowledge to properly thrive as a vegan.

There is also no instinctual desire to consume meat. You have a desire to eat animal parts that have been turned into other forms, as you say "carefully engineered" to look like something appetizing. You don't look at a cow and get hungry, you look at pieces that have been cut off and shaped into something familiar to you and get hungry.

We also didn't evolve by eating large amounts of meat, look up starch brain. Cooking starchy foods such as potatoes is what evolved us, the benefit to meat is that it is nutrient dense and allowed early humans to survive periods of food scarcity. So yes, meat was important to human survival, but it didn't evolve us.

I don't give a f*** who you know. I knew a girl from my high school and she turned out to be a murderer. I wouldn't go on Internet forums promising anything about her because I'm not her. Quite similar, you can not promise that these guys are not juicing. I didn't look at your page to see the guys you posted but do you think Nimai Delgado, vegan IFBB pro, is natural?

Where is my incorrect information? There is absolutely an instinctual desire to eat meat. Here's a scientific journal.

Impact of meat and Lower Palaeolithic food processing techniques on chewing in humans

Here's a scientific journal that shows animal protein sources are superior to soy plant based protein sources. (Also shows meat sources superior to wheat sources in rats but nothing about humans)

Skeletal Muscle Anabolic Response to Plant- versus Animal-Based Protein Consumption 1 | The Journal of Nutrition | Oxford Academic

After your post earlier in the thread I'm not sure how you think you can continue to post about this. You apparently know so little about dieting that you didn't understand that cutting your calorie intake is what led to your muscle loss. And yet here you are lecturing people about something you are obviously clueless about?

Wrong. I was vegan for 6 months and did not lose overall body mass, only muscle mass. I initially did lose weight as a vegan, but when I tried to bulk up, I ate at a calorie surplus, with a high amount of protein, and gained more fat than anything else. After I stopped being vegan, I gained significantly more muscle. I actually weigh only 5-10 pounds more right now than I did as a vegan but my body fat percentage is probably between half and 2/3 of what it was.

You probably didn’t have much muscle to begin with. I doubt your story is factual.

I went vegan about a decade ago, and my body has not changed since and I go for annual checkups and nothing has changed. The vegans I know, feel healthier.

Muscle mass is largely hereditary, genetics is most important.

I don't care what you think of my story, I wouldn't expect a smug vegan to believe anything that challenges their cult-like beliefs. The vegans you know probably feel healthier because they're not morbidly obese as they restrict so many food groups.

Also, you can think I'm a liar, but do you trust Max Pacioretty? He said drastically reduced his meat and animal consumption in the off season, he's having the worst season of his career. Then you've got Colin Kaepernick, who went vegan, lost a lot of muscle, had a bad year, lost his job, and hasn't got another?

This is exactly why nobody likes vegans, and they are largely a meme/joke. Somebody comes in a thread about a plant based diet and mentions that they personally tried one and it didn't work well for them. That poster literally admits that the experience of a pro athlete means more than theirs, and that they respect the movement and the effect it has on the environment. Then you get a bunch of smug vegans coming and talking about how I must be lying about my experience, and spouting off wrong information. Every scientific journal to date states that we evolved eating meat and that animal protein sources are better synthesized for MPS than plant based sources.

It's the reason your diet is a joke and the general public will ever take it seriously, even if a few pro athletes do. You'd all be doing veganism a favor if you just stopped.

Last edited:

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I don't give a **** who you know. I knew a girl from my high school and she turned out to be a murderer. I wouldn't go on Internet forums promising anything about her because I'm not her. Quite similar, you can not promise that these guys are not juicing. I didn't look at your page to see the guys you posted but do you think Nimai Delgado, vegan IFBB pro, is natural?

Where is my incorrect information? There is absolutely an instinctual desire to eat meat. Here's a scientific journal.

Impact of meat and Lower Palaeolithic food processing techniques on chewing in humans

Here's a scientific journal that shows animal protein sources are superior to soy plant based protein sources. (Also shows meat sources superior to wheat sources in rats but nothing about humans)

Skeletal Muscle Anabolic Response to Plant- versus Animal-Based Protein Consumption 1 | The Journal of Nutrition | Oxford Academic

Wrong. I was vegan for 6 months and did not lose overall body mass, only muscle mass. I initially did lose weight as a vegan, but when I tried to bulk up, I ate at a calorie surplus, with a high amount of protein, and gained more fat than anything else. After I stopped being vegan, I gained significantly more muscle. I actually weigh only 5-10 pounds more right now than I did as a vegan but my body fat percentage is probably between half and 2/3 of what it was.

I don't care what you think of my story, I wouldn't expect a smug vegan to believe anything that challenges their cult-like beliefs. The vegans you know probably feel healthier because they're not morbidly obese as they restrict so many food groups.

Also, you can think I'm a liar, but do you trust Max Pacioretty? He said drastically reduced his meat and animal consumption in the off season, he's having the worst season of his career. Then you've got Colin Kaepernick, who went vegan, lost a lot of muscle, had a bad year, lost his job, and hasn't got another?

This is exactly why nobody likes vegans, and they are largely a meme/joke. Somebody comes in a thread about a plant based diet and mentions that they personally tried one and it didn't work well for them. That poster literally admits that the experience of a pro athlete means more than theirs, and that they respect the movement and the effect it has on the environment. Then you get a bunch of smug vegans coming and talking about how I must be lying about my experience, and spouting off wrong information. Every scientific journal to date states that we evolved eating meat and that animal protein sources are better synthesized for MPS than plant based sources.

It's the reason your diet is a joke and the general public will ever take it seriously, even if a few pro athletes do. You'd all be doing veganism a favor if you just stopped.

This is a completely ridiculous post form top to bottom. You really ought to take your own advice and quit while you're behind.

Veganism is the fastest growing food trend in the world. 600% increase in America in 2017 and projected for larger growth in 2018. Contrary to your flawed beliefs, more and more people are taking the message seriously, they are uncovering the real facts and making the logical choice to ditch animal products.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
This is a completely ridiculous post form top to bottom. You really ought to take your own advice and quit while you're behind.

Veganism is the fastest growing food trend in the world. 600% increase in America in 2017 and projected for larger growth in 2018. Contrary to your flawed beliefs, more and more people are taking the message seriously, they are uncovering the real facts and making the logical choice to ditch animal products.
yeah i remember when low fat was the trendy diet

then science put the kibosh on it

Bread and Circuses

Smile and wave.
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2010
Somewhere in the middle
I don't give a **** who you know. I knew a girl from my high school and she turned out to be a murderer. I wouldn't go on Internet forums promising anything about her because I'm not her. Quite similar, you can not promise that these guys are not juicing. I didn't look at your page to see the guys you posted but do you think Nimai Delgado, vegan IFBB pro, is natural?

Your generalizing and attacking an entire base with confirmation bias and emotion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad