Zdeno Chara and His Plant-Based Diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I always wonder what kind of a placebo effect change in diet has in people. They always state that they feel better and recover faster but it's hard to think there isn't a huge benefit from it psychologically as well. He does look like a completely different player though from last year where it looked like he was nearing the end of his career.

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
In today's Boston Globe, Zdeno Chara discusses the plant-based diet he adopted before this season. Obviously, it seems to have paid dividends.

Zdeno Chara’s new plant-based diet is paying off on the ice - The Boston Globe

-Good read. But Chara and Brady are both lucky in terms of what they do. One player is so big he is like a second goalie on the ice defending the net. The other player plays for a Coach that gets rid of the football before he gets hit. Good story, but one big injury at 40 for either, and either or both are done regardless of what they eat. 1 Concussion, 1 ACL tear, anything significant, they are done.

-People can talk about strict diets of eating plants all they want, obviously greens have benefit, but so does meat and protein.

-Quit alcohol and drink 1-2 gallons of water everyday, and that will blow away his leaf diet or any diet he has. The power of water is better than anything you put in your body. And the more of it, the better.

Reactions: Dialamo

John Matthews

Dec 4, 2017
On a computer
-Good read. But Chara and Brady are both lucky in terms of what they do. One player is so big he is like a second goalie on the ice defending the net. The other player plays for a Coach that gets rid of the football before he gets hit. Good story, but one big injury at 40 for either, and either or both are done regardless of what they eat. 1 Concussion, 1 ACL tear, anything significant, they are done.

-People can talk about strict diets of eating plants all they want, obviously greens have benefit, but so does meat and protein.

-Quit alcohol and drink 1-2 gallons of water everyday, and that will blow away his leaf diet or any diet he has. The power of water is better than anything you put in your body. And the more of it, the better.
Im sure as professional athletes drink far more than two gallons of water per day and eat well due to it being in their contracts...

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

maxbme

Jan 13, 2016
He talked about it a few days ago on his instagram (which is a grade-a follow). Its easy to be skeptical of how much this diet is having an effect, but he has an extra spring in his step. Over the past 2 seasons it seems like he turned the clock back 5 years.

It doesn't seem like the text shows up here, so you'll probably have to click through to read it.

Unrelated chara posts

his bird friend

his video to Jagr

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
he must take a lot of supplements to get aneough protein for a 40 year old NHLer to recover properly.

i understand cutting out pork, red meats and fried stuff but i don't get why you'd give up roast/grilled chicken.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
I think you're going to start seeing a number of guys going this way with diets.

All placebo, but when I do 1-2 days a week with veggies only I do notice I wake up a lot easier and far more refreshed.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
he must take a lot of supplements to get aneough protein for a 40 year old NHLer to recover properly.

i understand cutting out pork, red meats and fried stuff but i don't get why you'd give up roast/grilled chicken.
No supplements needed, just beans. Lots and lots of beans. Beans are everything. Though the article does mention that he still eats eggs from time to time.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
First we have a bunch of hockey analysts as posters on this site and now nutritionists? Damn this site has everything!

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
I always wonder what kind of a placebo effect change in diet has in people. They always state that they feel better and recover faster but it's hard to think there isn't a huge benefit from it psychologically as well. He does look like a completely different player though from last year where it looked like he was nearing the end of his career.
He actually looked solid last year too. It was the year before where he looked poor.

Reactions: Macbanan

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
Im sure as professional athletes drink far more than two gallons of water per day and eat well due to it being in their contracts...

-Very few do. Heck when Mario Lemieux played he smoked 2 packs a cigarettes a day. I would say probably less than 1% of the entire world comes anywhere close to 2 gallons of water a day or even 1. Most people that did the 30 day water challenge failed before they were going to the bathroom every 30 minutes with 1 gallon of water per day. Regardless, Chara and Brady take great care of their bodies.

Adrian Dater: When smoking was the NHL's bad habit

John Matthews

Dec 4, 2017
On a computer
-Very few do. Heck when Mario Lemieux played he smoked 2 packs a cigarettes a day. I would say probably less than 1% of the entire world comes anywhere close to 2 gallons of water a day or even 1. Most people that did the 30 day water challenge failed before they were going to the bathroom every 30 minutes with 1 gallon of water per day. Regardless, Chara and Brady take great care of their bodies.

Adrian Dater: When smoking was the NHL's bad habit
Yeah that was before the whole NHLPA etc. But I feel you're too young to actually have seen players smoking on the bench.

C0DITH

Apr 30, 2017
You have all been lied to your entire life about needing to eat meat/whey/dairy to get your protein in. You also don't need to eat your weight in grams, old school bologna. I get 125-150 g's of protein a day, lost fat, put on muscle, feel a million bucks since dumping meat and dairy. Still eat eggs on the weekend but that's it. Your Test levels will jump ten fold going from a meat diet to a vegan diet. No wonder older superstars are starting to adopt it, only way they can prolong their careers.

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
You have all been lied to your entire life about needing to eat meat/whey/dairy to get your protein in. You also don't need to eat your weight in grams, old school bologna. I get 125-150 g's of protein a day, lost fat, put on muscle, feel a million bucks since dumping meet and dairy. Still eat eggs on the weekend but that's it. Your Test levels will jump ten fold going from a meat diet to a vegan diet. No wonder older superstars are starting to adopt it, only way they can prolong their careers.

-Mike Tyson loaded up on Milk, Chicken and Meat, and was the hardest hitting boxer by a landslide

-But diet isnt everything. If you look at prisoners, they eat like crap and some of them are absolutely ripped

-A lot of athletes take performance enhancing drugs. A lot of athletes do drink, or smoke, or chew tobacco, or dont eat right. Brad Marchand is a pretty good example, he's drunk all the time. You think he's going to sustain his play until he's 40? Nope, not when a big injury comes because the body take way longer to heal when you dont take care of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad