Zdeno Chara - 60 Minute Sports Feature

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Good piece. Up to date to include injury. I hope he turns his season around and the injury behind him. He really takes a beating every year. Most of the time he's hurt by the time the season is over for the B's. Lots of miles on that frame. Hope he makes a difference in those later years.

Last edited:

BklyNBruiN

May 7, 2009
www.amishrakefight.org
Z is godly. Here's a great feature on him

That was awesome thank you for posting this. I have even more respect for him after watching this. I'm just wowed by this piece. I been criticizing him more and more lately just about his speed but ya know what I'm cool with that because I know this guy is 100% effort and will always bring it.

I knew that he rode his bike to and from during the warmer days but just thinking about it is too cool. Hope he stays in Boston till he retires.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
chara sets the tone for the entire franchise.

so many teams in the nhl have outstanding talent but don't have someone like chara whose work ethic is absolutely unparalleled and is the driving force behind the team. it's more than just a c on his sweater, it's an attitude that goes from top to bottom throughout the organization. people don't appreciate that sometimes and want him traded or gone in another way. you don't just replace a guy like this. when chara retires/returns to his home planet, watch what happens to the structure of this team.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
No matter how much he deteriorates by the end of it it's going to be a huge loss in the locker room and as others have said, the structure of the team when he eventually goes.

Nothing but respect for this guy.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Rick, start playing the video on HF and then on the bottom right is the YouTube logo, click on that and it'll bring you to You Tube and take it from there.

Correction: You don't even need to start playing the video, just (see) the You Tube logo on the bottom right and click on it.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Z is godly. Here's a great feature on him

Good video. Thanks for sharing.

I thought Sharon Alfonsi interviewed him well.

Rask looked like a little kid beside Chara @ 4:17

It's good to see that Chia acknowledged “the Boston hockey fans are knowledgeableâ€.:sarcasm:

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Good intro to big Z, but there's not a whole lot I didn't know - but it's handy to have all in one place for new fans.

I even knew of his love for Mike's Pastry. I got some cannoli there after a pre-season game, and the woman behind the counter gushed about him and his cute little daughter. I think being a role model and leader is ALWAYS on his mind, whether it's talking to kids, or being absolutely dedicated to doing his best in workouts, practices, and games. Having someone like that at the top of your roster gives you absolutely no excuse not to do your best. I don't know if he sort of hung around the team during his knee injury; I imagine he had plenty of solo work that he had to do for his rehab, and I definitely think he'll be missed once he's gone - not just for his work on the ice (which, admittedly, hasn't ramped up until the past week or so), but for all his leadership in the locker room.

(Oh, and Chara does have caffeine and sugar occasionally. Cue the famous Coke picture.)

SerenityRick

Jan 23, 2008
Moultonborough, NH
Rick, start playing the video on HF and then on the bottom right is the YouTube logo, click on that and it'll bring you to You Tube and take it from there.

Correction: You don't even need to start playing the video, just (see) the You Tube logo on the bottom right and click on it.

I don't see any video lol

EDIT - Ohh I must have the guy who posted the video on ignore or something.

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast
All the respect for Chara. I laugh at the people who suggest that we should trade him; he may be getting older, slowing down etc. but his leadership in the locker room I'm sure is bar none to anyone else.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Good intro to big Z, but there's not a whole lot I didn't know - but it's handy to have all in one place for new fans.

I even knew of his love for Mike's Pastry. I got some cannoli there after a pre-season game, and the woman behind the counter gushed about him and his cute little daughter. I think being a role model and leader is ALWAYS on his mind, whether it's talking to kids, or being absolutely dedicated to doing his best in workouts, practices, and games. Having someone like that at the top of your roster gives you absolutely no excuse not to do your best. I don't know if he sort of hung around the team during his knee injury; I imagine he had plenty of solo work that he had to do for his rehab, and I definitely think he'll be missed once he's gone - not just for his work on the ice (which, admittedly, hasn't ramped up until the past week or so), but for all his leadership in the locker room.

(Oh, and Chara does have caffeine and sugar occasionally. Cue the famous Coke picture.)

I would be nice if ALL pro athletes had the same attitude as Chara.

jdz

May 22, 2013
The fact that he is that size, 37 years old, and still has 4% body fat is quite frankly ridiculous.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Crazy to see some of those videos and pictures from early in his career pre-NHL... He looked so skinny! I remember how skinny Dougie looked on draft day and the year or two after that... Z looked a lot gawkier than he did! :laugh:

He's so humble and soft spoken. Really great guy. This team will be in trouble for many reasons when he's gone. I hope this contract isn't his last... As long as he can keep up with the NHL I'd be happy to keep him around. He won't be an elite #1 for much longer, but even if he's a #3 at 41, he's still definitely one of the best captains in the league. There's no better guy to learn from, especially your D. I'd be willing to bet Hamilton wouldn't be as far along as he is if Z wasn't mentoring him.

So glad we've been able to see him through his best years and hopefully he'll stay strong and healthy through the rest. :) He'll definitely be up in the rafters when he's done alongside guys like Ray and Bobby... and he earned it. No doubt about it.

Budddy

Dec 9, 2008
Okanagan
Great show to watch...nothing but respect and admiration for the guy and one of my favourite players of all time...best free agent signing in NHL history IMO...

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Appreciate the link. Can never get enough Z. Such a solid person all the way around. I agree that the piece was very well done and gave a person who doesn't know anything about Z a pretty good overview of his career and character.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad