Zdeno Chara - 60 Minute Sports Feature

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Chara is a great leader and role model both on and off the ice. Class act and so proud that he is our captain.

....and gotta love that Chara takes the freight elevator like everybody else.

Down to earth, good guy!

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch

Down to earth, good guy!

Now that I think about it, I'm shocked that he took the freight elevator....mainly because I always pictured him taking the stairs. (And probably 3 or 4 at a time, to boot.)

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

Down to earth, good guy!

And here I was, disappointed because he took the elevator and not the stairs. So lazy! :sarcasm:

Actually I'm quite impressed by Zee. I never liked him when he was a Senator but I think that was just because he was big, mean, and didn't play for my team. :laugh: But I don't know how anybody could read his story and not be impressed. Seems like a great guy.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
What a great watch, couldn't help but think he sounded a little Arny which is cool :D works out a further 2 hours after a full game? That is dedication.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
chara sets the tone for the entire franchise.

so many teams in the nhl have outstanding talent but don't have someone like chara whose work ethic is absolutely unparalleled and is the driving force behind the team. it's more than just a c on his sweater, it's an attitude that goes from top to bottom throughout the organization. people don't appreciate that sometimes and want him traded or gone in another way. you don't just replace a guy like this. when chara retires/returns to his home planet, watch what happens to the structure of this team.

Nicely put. QFT 100% :yo:

bigbadbruins7

Dec 18, 2011
CT
Great video. Nice to see him off the ice so calm and kind. Having said that I prefer his mean nasty streak when hes on the ice

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I loved the video. So proud to call him our captain. I can't believe he's been here 9 years! This means he's spent more than half his career w/ the B's.

Him eating that cannoli probably had him working out extra as he doesn't eat sweets during the season.

Nice to see Rex interviewed as well.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Wow so he wants to play into his 40's!

Chia will have to find a way to let him do that as a #6 here in Boston. That could be doable.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
That concussion he gave Paquette looked like a tap on the chin. Still had his gloves on. With a helmet and visor he placed the blow in the only place not covered by Paquette.

Demon Eyes

Nov 29, 2014
So many non bruin fans watch with their blinders on, anyways, I could see him getting into coaching after he's done.

chicoutimicucumber

Aug 4, 2009
I did not know that Z was cut three times from the Slovakian youth team, and only got respect from the national team managers AFTER he established himself in the NHL. Explains a lot about the team identity of this era’s Bruins, actually, in its commitment to work ethic and discipline, when you stop to consider that:

- its C and most important player on defense was cut multiple times from the national youth team
- its A and most important forward was cut from his midget AAA team three years prior to making the NHL
- its former #1 goaltender hadn’t reached the NHL until age 28, and didn’t establish himself as a starter until age 32

Great insights on the impact of the player from Chiarelli and Recchi. Nice sit-down interview bits with Z in his lumberjack beard, and I got a kick out of the shots of him hanging out around the North End. (How huge is that bike anyway?? Looks to be taller than some cars parked nearby @12:58 of the video.)

Last edited:

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
I did not know that Z was cut three times from the Slovakian youth team, and only got respect from the national team managers AFTER he established himself in the NHL. Explains a lot about the team identity of this era’s Bruins, actually, in its commitment to work ethic and discipline, when you stop to consider that:

- its C and most important player on defense was cut multiple times from the national youth team
- its A and most important forward was cut from his midget AAA team three years prior to making the NHL
- its former #1 goaltender hadn’t reached the NHL until age 28, and didn’t establish himself as a starter until age 32

Great insights on the impact of the player from Chiarelli and Recchi. Nice sit-down interview bits with Z in his lumberjack beard, and I got a kick out of the shots of him hanging out around the North End. (How huge is that bike anyway?? Looks to be taller than some cars parked nearby @12:58 of the video.)

Yeah, it's interesting that they noted that Chara has always felt like an underdog - which would be difficult to believe if you didn't know his story. You're right in that it hardly makes him unique on the Bruins. So many pro athletes grow up with a sense of entitlement, but so many of the Bruins had to overcome obstacles on their paths to Boston that I really can't think of any that fit that mold. From Krug being told he was too small (and going undrafted) to Soderberg nearly losing an eye to Seidenberg bouncing around and now to Pastrnak, who lost his dad to cancer and left home to play hockey at 15. They're practically a bunch of misfit toys. :laugh: So appropriate that they're captained by Chara, a "misfit" who's turned out to be a hero. You couldn't make up a better story.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad