Post-Game Talk: Zatkon, Zatkoff. Penguins keep their EYE on the prize, beat Rangers 5-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Third string goaltender...team coming out tight like that...having to deal with three simultaneous minors

Best possible outcome we could have had in this type of game

+Fehr--when everyone was tight at the start, he wasn't. Also used his frame a lot, which doesn't come naturally for him

+Sheary--that's something like 7 strong games in a row

+Kuhnhackl--a previously forgotten man who looks like he's about to carve out an 8 or 10 year career doing the thankless work of killing penalties and blocking shots

+Sid--second he pulled that pass in I knew the puck was going in. No way a rookie's going to be ready for that release first time he sees it

+Zatkoff--he doesn't make it look easy, but he did a Yeoman's job getting that done

+Hornqvist--3 goals, nuff said

We started nervous, the Rags threw the kitchen sink at us and we won 5-2. That's a really good sign.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Big ?????? to Tim Peel. Usually Tim Peel games feel like something just happened to me and I need an adult. This felt like both teams needed adults.

Conor Sheary - 10:42 TOI, 9:06 ES

Chris Kunitz - 14:16 TOI, 11:23 ES

SURELY Sully has to see that Sid is miles better when Kunitz is elsewhere... Right?

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Kessel okay? Rangers announcers said he might be in some pain and he wasn't out there in the last few minutes...or my paranoia is getting the best of me...need to know before sleep. It is early/late here.

Long shift. He just looked tired.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Kessel okay? Rangers announcers said he might be in some pain and he wasn't out there in the last few minutes...or my paranoia is getting the best of me...need to know before sleep. It is early/late here.

Kessel constantly looks like he's in pain or about to die when he's on the bench. He's either being funny or making people worry about him. And he shouldn't have been out there at the end.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
The Rags got to feel stunned after the Pens didn't play their best game, lose by three, and losing to a third string goalie. Plus they lose Lundqvist for who knows how long.

Still the Pens can't think this is going to be easy.

On to Saturday.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Big ?????? to Tim Peel. Usually Tim Peel games feel like something just happened to me and I need an adult. This felt like both teams needed adults.

SURELY Sully has to see that Sid is miles better when Kunitz is elsewhere... Right?

Yeah, sure, whatever you say... :laugh:

Finesse

nostromo
Dec 9, 2013
Good for Zatkoff. Everybody in the hockey world doubted him (myself included) and he had a great game. His first period performance in particular kept us in the the game.

Otherwise, I'm not sure if i should be pleased our concerned that they played horribly and still managed to win.

Probably concerned.

PKV Jungle Friends

Not Growing a Garden
Feb 17, 2007
The Sanctuary
++++++++++ Zats - 35 saves and owned it in the cage. Congrats, young man!
++++++++++ Horns - no words for how well he played tonight. Stud.
+++++ Sid - Quiet 3 points and a money goal at a key time.
+++++ Kuhn- what a guy, huh?

- sluggish start
- first 4 PP chances (only 1 shot? That CAN'T happen....)

Overall, a terrific game and you've got to love that they brought their B effort and still banked 5 goals. Feeling good.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Is now a good time to start a thread revisiting the Neal trade?

Seriously, Zats was solid. The team in front of him wasn't even that good (with some notable exceptions) compared to the last few week and we still outclassed them.

87 and 72, awesome, what a way to kick off the postseason.

The supporting guys were fantastic too. That goal by Kuhn was massive. Hagelin was throwing himself around like a pinball. Sheary, Bones, etc. keep it up boys.

Best of all the Rangers were rattled. Handed the chance to get back in the game and as soon as they did Kuhn buried them. They seemed to lose it at that point, and not in "send a message way", more in a pissed off kind of way.

Great game 1

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
++++++ Kunitz with 14 minutes on the ice
+++++ Hornqvist 4 pts + hat trick
+++++ Crosby with a goal and an assist
++++ Kuhnhackl shorthanded
++++ Zatkoff's performance
+++ Hagelin, Sheary, Letang and Cullen
++ Marc Staal
+ Maatta got to play

zhenyas most fly rep

May 3, 2009
breizh
Great result, terrible game. This better be our worst game of the postseason.

Lundqvist's injury was the turning point, weird to see that kind of bad break happen to the other team for once.

Hats off to Zatkov obviously.

Fortunately, this rangers is pretty terrible, anywhere close to our A game and there wouldn't have been any doubt on the result at any point.

One game closer to getting Malkin/Fleury/Rust back.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Fehr's not been good, but Kunitz should sit imo.

Fehr does less damage playing relatively poorly on the 4th line as opposed to Kunitz neutering Sid/Hornqvist when he's on the ice with them.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Kessel constantly looks like he's in pain or about to die when he's on the bench. He's either being funny or making people worry about him. And he shouldn't have been out there at the end.

Kessel always looks like a gassed fat beer leaguer at the end of his shifts :laugh:.

sf expat71

Nov 10, 2008
Atlantic Ocean
The plus to 11 forwards is that Sid gets minutes away from Ironman. The minus is that Lovejoy and Cole get minutes. But credit where it's due, Lovejoy did get that clear that could've made it a one goal game for the Rangers. Either way, this is the most tentative the Pens have been on the forecheck in quite a while for us, and it definitely hurt our overall game. Thank God we won.

Last edited:

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011

tumblr_mpvsq07Epg1rjxfbno1_500.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad