Post-Game Talk: Zatkon, Zatkoff. Penguins keep their EYE on the prize, beat Rangers 5-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sjoelbak

Oct 5, 2015
Leiden, Netherlands
They get a snow shower all the time no matter what mask they wear.

Most won't want a regular cage unless it becomes mandatory. I think they claim it interferes with vision and it's hard to get used to. Hrudey says it doesn't take long and he used the regular cage his entire career.

I just posted about a 'certified' cats-eye cage and I suppose a stick or puck can't get through? I suppose the NHL and goalies will look at which options provide the best combination of safety and vision?

But wiping your face is easier than some extra shield in front of your eyes. I believe certified masks can't let a puck through, but a stick can get past (as we've seen).

And I agree with Hrudey, you get used to it. I can easily ride my bike wearing my goalie mask. A car might be too much, but it doesn't interfere my vision more than a cat-eye would.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
Re the Cats Eye, there is also a danger of players shaving down the end of their sticks such that they are a little bit narrower and can just barely fit through the bars of the mask.
I recall trying it with a couple of sticks in the locker room, it was basically impossible for most sticks.
But I found one that was a little skinnier and if you turned it exactly at the right angle it could fit through.

Karma that it was Staaal....

Get To Our Game

May 31, 2008
Pittsburgh
Kuhnhackl's always had the goal scorer's shot. It's why I thought (when he was first drafted, mind you) that if he ever made the NHL, it would be as a Matt Moulson type player. Instead, he's turned into a much more well rounded player.

If he can add a consistent goal scorer's touch to his overall game, it would be such a huge thing for this club.

That's the type of player I thought Kuhnhackl would be too, especially after his first season. I thought Kuhnhackl had a wicked shot while in the OHL, much more capable of scoring mid and long range goals by just blasting it than Moulson. The weird way his junior career ended made me think he was a real long shot to ever make it, but like you said, he's improved all other aspects of his game. I couldn't believe it when he scored his first NHL goal. Never would have thought he would score a goal like that, especially shorthanded. His skating (and initial acceleration in particular) seem to have really improved, and he's a good NHL-level shot blocker already.

The way he played to get here would make him a valuable depth forward, but when he gets in position he knows how to finish. He's made some really slick passing plays too that I'd love to see more of. Also wonder if we see some clappers in the future from him. (4:40 in)

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Re the Cats Eye, there is also a danger of players shaving down the end of their sticks such that they are a little bit narrower and can just barely fit through the bars of the mask.
I recall trying it with a couple of sticks in the locker room, it was basically impossible for most sticks.
But I found one that was a little skinnier and if you turned it exactly at the right angle it could fit through.

Karma that it was Staaal....

Staal hitting Lundqvist in the eye isn't karma, and I mean that in any sense of the word. Lundqvist didn't deserve it and it did nothing to hurt Staal unless Lundqvist tries to bludgeon him to exact revenge.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Staal hitting Lundqvist in the eye isn't karma, and I mean that in any sense of the word. Lundqvist didn't deserve it and it did nothing to hurt Staal unless Lundqvist tries to bludgeon him to exact revenge.
Right, and the way karma works based on religion is that things that happen in our lives are sometimes relates to things that happened in our past lives. So this could have no karma related stuff whatsoever, but then i'm no expert.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I think this defense insulated Zatkoff tremendously well. I also think Sheary has proven himself that he's not a flash in the pan. He's been creating when he gets playing time pretty consistently. Hornqvist is that type of player that when games get big, he gets bigger.

The key to this series is getting guys back in the lineup, and the lineup can heat up. Hopefully there isn't a lapse where it's sort of a cluster**** and we look disorganized.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014

Thanks, you're right and I apologize.
Wish no ill to Hank.

I got overwhelmed with animosity towards Staal for his bush league stuff in prior contests.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Right, and the way karma works based on religion is that things that happen in our lives are sometimes relates to things that happened in our past lives. So this could have no karma related stuff whatsoever, but then i'm no expert.

It's like cause and effect, reincarnation and cumulative intent, iirc. Past life, present life and future life. It's in more than one religion and idk about the nuances, I never had a great grasp of it. Then there's the colloquial use that's pretty much "a bad thing happened to a bad person or a stupid action. Karma!" as a blanket statement. None of them apply unless Lundqvist gets up to some bad **** that we don't know of or did in a past life.

Thanks, you're right and I apologize.
Wish no ill to Hank.

I got overwhelmed with animosity towards Staal for his bush league stuff in prior contests.

Staal is a pos. But let's not let that take over our pedantry.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Thats why I am a firm believer that you replace a head coach in the NHL with the AHL coach. He knows the prospects the most. He knows the team and their strengths and weaknesses and bring in an outside prospective for a veteran team like we were. You should be using the AHL to groom your next head coach (ALWAYS). Sometimes they will leave if a team offers them a job (like John Haines) and they will leave but that ok get your next coaching prospect.

Yeah, we did that before with very mixed results.

Whoa, pump the brakes there. We held onto DB for years past his expiration date, but there's no arguing that there was nothing mixed about the result of winning a Stanley Cup. Just because someone's the wrong guy by 2012 doesn't retroactively make him a mixed hire in 2009. It just means you didn't fire him when his time was up.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
karma would be something like, "when Staal went to crosscheck Sid in the neck, his stick snapped in two, and both broken ends went through his eye sockets and skewered him, leaving him unable to do anything but hear the goal horn sound as opposing teams scored against the Rangers at will"

sf expat71

Nov 10, 2008
Atlantic Ocean
karma would be something like, "when Staal went to crosscheck Sid in the neck, his stick snapped in two, and both broken ends went through his eye sockets and skewered him, leaving him unable to do anything but hear the goal horn sound as opposing teams scored against the Rangers at will"

Well at the very least I'm thinking Staal feels like the POS, human garbage that he is for his casual stick work resulting in an injury for his teammate. But yeah, I'd say karma already had its say because HIS OWN BROTHER messed him up pretty good a couple years ago. In fact, Marc Staal hasn't really been the same player since.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
It's like cause and effect, reincarnation and cumulative intent, iirc. Past life, present life and future life. It's in more than one religion and idk about the nuances, I never had a great grasp of it. Then there's the colloquial use that's pretty much "a bad thing happened to a bad person or a stupid action. Karma!" as a blanket statement. None of them apply unless Lundqvist gets up to some bad **** that we don't know of or did in a past life.
I knew that, but you didn't know that i knew that, you do know that & seem to have the same reservations/questions but that's just a hunch & it's OT. ;)

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

Look at you being all creative. :laugh:

Well at the very least I'm thinking Staal feels like the POS, human garbage that he is for his casual stick work resulting in an injury for his teammate. But yeah, I'd say karma already had its say because HIS OWN BROTHER messed him up pretty good a couple years ago. In fact, Marc Staal hasn't really been the same player since.

He's got a messed up eye and his brother gave him a pretty bad concussion. Reverse Karma! I think it's the brother that's currently on the Rangers but keeping track of this family is too much work.

I knew that, but you didn't know that i knew that, you do know that & seem to have the same reservations/questions but that's just a hunch & it's OT. ;)

Maybe...? This is making me think of the Princess Bride, tbh. I'm too literal for spirituality and it never makes sense. :laugh:

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I find the Pens the last month have been utilizing unconventional ways of generating offense(with the new coach/players/identity).

-push offensively shorthanded
-the flip and let the speed create something play

These 2 gave us the goals we needed to win game 1.
Have to get Rusty/MAF/Murray back and then Geno to really press the forecheck plus the off the rush/improve the PP stuff to become really dangerous.

Last edited:

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
The way this team is going to beat a team out west is if we come at them with wave after wave after wave of speed and offense. We have that ability.

The question mark against WC teams is our defense and their ability to stand up against the beef those teams employ up front.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I find the Pens the last month have been utilizing unconventional ways of generating offense(with the new coach/players/identity).

-push offensively shorthanded
-the flip and let the speed create something play

These 2 gave us the goals we needed to win game 1.
Have to get Rusty/MAF/Murray back and then Geno to really press the forecheck plus the off the rush/improve the PP stuff to become really dangerous.

Hopefully we don't get Geno back then everyone slacks off because they don't feel like trying as hard with Geno. Go balls to the wall every shift no matter if we got a healthy roster.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
We might not know, but Sullivan probably has an idea. Look, I know all coaches make mistakes, are stubborn as hell, and play favorites, but let's not act like Sheary is some stud that the coach is misusing. I actually think Sully has done a really nice job maximizing the usefulness of the kids. He tries not to give them too much too soon. Would I like to see Sheary with Sid more? Sure, but it wasn't long ago most of us had him as an extra forward. I think we need to exercise a little patience here. Kunitz played less than 16 minutes. That's a damn good sign.

Nobody's saying Sheary's a stud. He's got great speed, is surprisingly good with the puck, skates real hard and has been hot. That's reason enough to supplant Kunitz, but it's the Pens, so it'll never happen.

It's a good sign that Kunitz's minutes are dropping, but again, until he's demoted to 4th line duty or scratched, it's a "I'll believe it when I see it" situation.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
As bad as Kunitz has been he'd be fine in a 3rd line role.

except he'd be an awful fit with how our 3rd line plays. There's just no way he's more effective in that spot than Kuhnhakl.

Do I think Kunitz can play 3rd line caliber hockey? Yes. Do I think he'd be good in a 3rd line role on our current team? Absolutely not.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
except he'd be an awful fit with how our 3rd line plays. There's just no way he's more effective in that spot than Kuhnhakl.

Do I think Kunitz can play 3rd line caliber hockey? Yes. Do I think he'd be good in a 3rd line role on our current team? Absolutely not.

Pretty much. He was pretty bad on the third line in the short stint he played there early in the season, and I wouldn't split up anybody to make room for Kunitz. Certainly not when Geno's back.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Pretty much. He was pretty bad on the third line in the short stint he played there early in the season, and I wouldn't split up anybody to make room for Kunitz. Certainly not when Geno's back.

The most effective role we could give Kunitz would be with guys like Bonino and Bennett as a bottom 6 scoring line. Play with a controlled pace and let Kunitz be the guy at the net. But he's not fast enough to play with our 3rd line, and he's just an abysmal complement to Hornqvist with Sid. Kunitz's best strengths are all things Hornqvist simply does better at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad