Zarley Zalapski dead at 49

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
He was part of that huge Penguins/Whalers trade when Ron Francis and Ulf Samuelsson went to the Penguins and helped them win two straight Cups.

Condolences to his family and friends.

Former Referee 68

Aug 18, 2016
Canada
Grew up in Leduc too. Grad '86 !! First met Zarley in elementary school. Good guy. Remember high school and him going off to the Olympic program. Always felt pride for my hometown with his NHL success. Much too young !! He'll be missed. Condolences to his family.

Then we graduated together!

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
Sad news. I remember when the Pens Drafted him and it was decided it was better for him to play for Team Canada and develop a little bit better under Dave King. He was playing as recently as 2009-2010 in the Swiss League. Good Draft Pick. RIP.:(

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Wow, shocking. I remember him well, right from the start of his career. He was respected in Calgary during his time there. Awful news.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
During his brief stint with the Montreal Canadiens he was one of three players on that roster who's name started with a 'Z.' The Habs had Zarley Zalapski, Danius Zubrus and Sergei Zholtok all on the same roster at the same time. Zalapski was gone after 1998, but the other two remained and then the Canadiens traded away Danius Zubrus in 2000 and received Richard Zednik back.

Those four are the only players who's named started with Z in franchise history, and they all overlapped between 1998 and 2000.

I remember him on that habs team because the Habs used 3 dmen on jagr during the playoffs. This meant that zalapski was used as a forward.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I remember him on that habs team because the Habs used 3 dmen on jagr during the playoffs. This meant that zalapski was used as a forward.

While the Canadiens won the series, the three D on Jagr plan didn't work at all. Jagr had 4 goals and 5 assists in a six-game series (which was really in five games 'cause the Pens were shutout in game six.)

SourTemplePilot

Go Stars!!
Oct 10, 2017
Dallas, TX
I was a kid back in the mid 90's when I met Zarley at a hotel in Dallas. He was very, very nice. I asked him to sign a card and he did. I had two extra's in my binder. He saw them and asked me to pull them out. He signed them too and told me to enjoy the game in Dallas that night. I still have the three signed cards. This was when Dallas played at reunion and all players would walk from hotel to reunion arena for morning skate and prior to games. RIP ZZ. I'll never forget that. :(

Rick Kehoe

Oct 8, 2017
According to Global News he died in his sleep from complications due to a viral infection that he was hospitalized for back in October.

Former Calgary Flames defenceman Zarley Zalapski dead at 49

If this report is factual, then Zalapski's death was completely unrelated to his pro hockey career. Unfortunately, people of all different professions die young for a variety of reasons. We should be careful about automatically assuming the sport is somehow to blame whenever a former player passes away at an early age.

Reactions: Devonator

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
My goodness...how awful...I remember when he was a high draft pick I think for the Penguins....that is indeed far to young to pass on...He is younger then me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad