Zaitsev has somehow regressed in the NHL

Strangelove

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Obviously I was flat out wrong. It's remarkably that people that spend as much time watching hockey as most of us here do don't know better than to draw conclusions on such a small sample size. I don't remember the thread, so I don't think I was participating in it. I do find that some Leafs fans go overzealous when they visit the main boards, saying things they never would on the Leafs boards.

Good find. I always appreciate when people take the time to get things right, even if it means I end up being wrong.

This is an extremely impressive post.

You sir exude class... you are a great ambassador for your fan base.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
I remember that piece by McMasters or what ever his name is who covers the leafs.

He said there was a big divide on this guy in the front office.
A bunch of members of the front office saw this guy as a bottom pairing and didn't understand the extension

You'll have to do more than this.

Strangelove

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
I remember that piece by McMasters or what ever his name is who covers the leafs.

He said there was a big divide on this guy in the front office.
A bunch of members of the front office saw this guy as a bottom pairing and didn't understand the extension

Sorry it was Mirtle, I get those 2 mixed up

Hmmm... this must be why Mirtle is predicting Zaitsev has played his last game for the Leafs.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
The injuries definitely played a part this year. If you really focused on Zaitsev you could see that he was no longer willing to take a hit to make the play. The opposition would rim the puck around and he would get rid of it as fast as possible resulting in a ton of turnovers and icings. This is on plays where he clearly had time to make a play. If he comes back next year and calms down, he'll be fine. He can still be a very good top 4 defender.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Hmmm... this must be why Mirtle is predicting Zaitsev has played his last game for the Leafs.

Maybe
Mirtle is the guy who follows analytics very close apparently
and the analytics show Zaitsev to be 5 or 6, but apparently he gets ice time like a 2 or 3.

PucksOnNet

Nov 12, 2017
This thread has nothing to do with the Oilers or Lucic.

Go read the posts below to see some quotes for some stuff I’m talking about. I also said a Leaf fan, not Leafs fans. Not generalizing an entire fan base. Nice try though.

You routinely enter Leaf-related threads for the sole purpose of bashing Leafs players and their fans, don't play innocent [mod].

Last edited by a moderator:

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
The fact of the matter is that Toronto's system is actually incredibly demanding and very hard on the players. D are expected to make long stretch passes, forwards are supposed to be defensively sound but also blow the d-zone the first chance they can. It's not an easy system and Toronto is still not great at it. But if they can perfect the system then they'll be dominant.

Zaitsev is a less demanding style would be a very well regarded d-man. He has all the tools and seems like an intense competitor.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
You routinely enter Leaf-related threads for the sole purpose of bashing Leafs players and their fans, don't play innocent [mod].

The only thing I bash are unreal expectations and outlandish claims. When someone (who happens to be a Leafs fan) makes a thread, not even two weeks into a season, asking if Zaitsev is one of the best free agent signings of recent times, that falls under an outlandish claim and should be open for criticism.

In fact, I’m not the only one mentioning that thread. It’s been linked but you’re ignoring it for some odd reason?

Unlike you, I’m sticking to the topic. If you have a problem with that, add me to your ignore list. I won’t lose any sleep.

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
The fact of the matter is that Toronto's system is actually incredibly demanding and very hard on the players. D are expected to make long stretch passes, forwards are supposed to be defensively sound but also blow the d-zone the first chance they can. It's not an easy system and Toronto is still not great at it. But if they can perfect the system then they'll be dominant.

Zaitsev is a less demanding style would be a very well regarded d-man. He has all the tools and seems like an intense competitor.
Lol what system? They have the worst defensive system in the NHL by there forwards.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Dustin: "(Zaitsev has) obviously been very good so far this year but as for Norris consideration, it's still quite early to be anointing anyone as a front runner.

this guy is trying to halt the norris talk of the 2-3 guys, and you use that as "proof"
swing and a miss
Talk about swing and a miss.

He's using that to show that there was some talk about the Norris for Zaitsev.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Obviously I was flat out wrong. It's remarkably that people that spend as much time watching hockey as most of us here do don't know better than to draw conclusions on such a small sample size. I don't remember the thread, so I don't think I was participating in it. I do find that some Leafs fans go overzealous when they visit the main boards, saying things they never would on the Leafs boards.

Good find. I always appreciate when people take the time to get things right, even if it means I end up being wrong.
You and Halla = night and day... :thumbu:

TimPeel

Dec 10, 2017
Probably overcoached by Babcock. He looked good last year before he got injured, and looked very solid in the playoffs.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Lol what system? They have the worst defensive system in the NHL by there forwards.

You probably haven't watched a Rangers game in the last two years.

The leafs, Babcock's team, are playing a system that requires the D to make high risk passes and the forwards to balance defensive play while trying to simultaneously blow the zone when they get the chance.

There is a system there for sure. It's just that it's an incredibly demanding style of play and the players aren't used to it yet.

One thing some people have said about this team is that rather than overpay, you keep the team intact and have them get used to this way of playing, which is the future of hockey.

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
You probably haven't watched a Rangers game in the last two years.

The leafs, Babcock's team, are playing a system that requires the D to make high risk passes and the forwards to balance defensive play while trying to simultaneously blow the zone when they get the chance.

There is a system there for sure. It's just that it's an incredibly demanding style of play and the players aren't used to it yet.

One thing some people have said about this team is that rather than overpay, you keep the team intact and have them get used to this way of playing, which is the future of hockey.
Rangers? What?
The system they have in place obviously does not work in the playoffs with there personel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad